Cruising with under 5s; Balcony Stateroom or not???

shanivy14

We are taking my daughter who is nearly 3 on her second cruise this year. A balcony is a must if only to get some space while she is napping. As others have posted the balconies are (mostly) chest height and often have a child lock.

Just be aware than some ships have rung-style railings on some open deck that little ones could climb like a ladder in a second. We generally avoid those areas as, despite keeping on hand on said toddler, my nerves cannot cope!

Not all ships have these but some do so might just be worth double checking if you are concerned. c76fef15c7d22fa43b3539dafd1cbde5_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a good point, my nerves would be shot with those rails, even with a 4 yr old. Definite no for us.

Out of curiosity where have you taken your little one cruising? I was planning on the Caribbean and I'd looked at Alaska but wasn't sure what she could actually do off the ship. Thanks :)

We sailed with a 2- and a 5-year old last summer in a balcony stateroom. I had exactly the same worries before the cruise, but our kids weren't the least bit interested in climbing the balcony rails in the stateroom or the decks. I guess it's easier for them to understand the height when it's all open, vs. a window.

For us adults the balcony was a lifesaver in the evenings! Somewhere to sit and talk and share a glass of wine after the kids had gone to sleep.

We sailed with a 2- and a 5-year old last summer in a balcony stateroom. I had exactly the same worries before the cruise, but our kids weren't the least bit interested in climbing the balcony rails in the stateroom or the decks. I guess it's easier for them to understand the height when it's all open, vs. a window.

For us adults the balcony was a lifesaver in the evenings! Somewhere to sit and talk and share a glass of wine after the kids had gone to sleep.

irial77 yes exactly that's what's making me wonder if we should get one. I'd not use a babysitter on board, so I'd go stir crazy being stuck in the cabin once my daughter is asleep.

She'll be 4, in the middle of your two children so thanks for the reply. I think I'm being slowly convinced it would be okay!

That's a good point, my nerves would be shot with those rails, even with a 4 yr old. Definite no for us.

Out of curiosity where have you taken your little one cruising? I was planning on the Caribbean and I'd looked at Alaska but wasn't sure what she could actually do off the ship. Thanks :)

We sailed in Europe with her but we've sailed both Alaska and the Caribbean (before she arrived) and I think you could find things to do in both. It depends on what your family enjoys. Beaches are easy with kids but we aren't really a beach family (one beach day per cruise is enough for us). I know my daughter would like the wildlife in Alaska but would restrict some of the more adventurous things you could do if that interests you.

If you sail Alaska a balcony is a must!!

Edited by moqui_girl