Cruising with under 5s; Balcony Stateroom or not???

shanivy14

My husband and I are debating this. He thinks im over paranoid.

Ive never actually been on a cruise before and like the idea of waking up/ staying up on the balcony when my then 4 year old is asleep. Or breakfast on the balcony. However I've said no to a balcony with her this time and want an outside stateroom (something ive never really wanted other than the fact we have a young kid)

I've seen a lot of people and videos who've had one with under 5s? Id be so afraid of them going over it while you're in the bathroom or something. I probably sound nuts. I think id be paranoid if it were adults only around us and id be worrying about her bothering them even though she's well behaved, thought hats kinda beside the main point. Maybe it's my anxiety talking but really how safe are they, how high are they, do the doors lock etc etc etc bla bla bla crazy anxious mum talk

So my question is have you, or would you with under 5s book a balcony stateroom or am I wrong???

It goes both ways. The doors do lock, but anything that can be locked can be unlocked. Only you know your child well enough to know if they understand boundaries and will obey your instructions or not. The doors tend to be too heavy for a child to open easily, but that does not mean a determined toddler cannot move it. Same for the railings, they are chest high on most adults, but I know toddlers who have figured out how to climb up on top of a refrigerator and kitchen cabinets.

Many people with young children cruise with a balcony, but you and your husband have to decide what is the best choice for your child, and his/her abilities.

A four year old will have a struggle to get over the railing on the balcony, besides that the balcony door isn't that easy to open for a four year old, even when it's unlocked. If it's locked I would say that they are impossible to open for a four year old.

Thank you!

I had it in my head that the doors would be lighter and flimsy tbh. Like picturing them swaying aide to side with the boat . I don't know why. That was the main reason I'd said no, she's well behaved but it's the thought that while im getting dressed, brushing teeth or whatever she could preoccupy herself with opening the lock and door and get up on the railing. Over dramatic I'm sure lol but still...

May look into it a bit more now, thought my MIL almost had a stroke at the thought of us booking one. Thanks guys

It goes both ways. The doors do lock, but anything that can be locked can be unlocked. Only you know your child well enough to know if they understand boundaries and will obey your instructions or not. The doors tend to be too heavy for a child to open easily, but that does not mean a determined toddler cannot move it. Same for the railings, they are chest high on most adults, but I know toddlers who have figured out how to climb up on top of a refrigerator and kitchen cabinets.

Many people with young children cruise with a balcony, but you and your husband have to decide what is the best choice for your child, and his/her abilities.

Ahh so they're a lot higher than Im picturing...i don't know what's wrong with me I must be picturing the most unsafe ship ever lol thanks

Have sailed with my grandchildren and have never worried. You have to be smart, however. Door locks are heavy, as are the doors. I would never allow a child alone on a balcony. Kids will climb - think moving a chair and climbing. You have to set rules just like at home. You probably won't leave her alone in the cabin - bathroom is small - one of you will be in cabin!

Personally I don't think a child could open the balcony door. My experience is primarily with RC. Incidentally, not to worry you more, but I would be more concerned about opening cabin door and ending up in the hallway. Just like hotel doors, cabin doors lock behind you and all look alike! Good idea to put something on the door to recognize your cabin in case you don't remember number.

Have sailed with my grandchildren and have never worried. You have to be smart, however. Door locks are heavy, as are the doors. I would never allow a child alone on a balcony. Kids will climb - think moving a chair and climbing. You have to set rules just like at home. You probably won't leave her alone in the cabin - bathroom is small - one of you will be in cabin!

Personally I don't think a child could open the balcony door. My experience is primarily with RC. Incidentally, not to worry you more, but I would be more concerned about opening cabin door and ending up in the hallway. Just like hotel doors, cabin doors lock behind you and all look alike! Good idea to put something on the door to recognize your cabin in case you don't remember number.

Thanks Grandma Dazzles ☺ (what an awesome name lol)

It's good to get an opinion from someone who's had children in the room so thank you. She wouldn't ever be alone in the cabin, let alone the balcony. Just the mere thought of her being alone on a balcony gives me palpitations lol. And im sure with it being my first cruise ill be extra over protective/paranoid/annoying with her the whole time.

I thinks it's more the issue of if somehow she had a chance to open the door, could she actually do it easily? But its seeming a harder than I'd imagined for a 4 year old to just casually side the door over in a second. Plus the rails are higher than What i thought by the sounds of it.

And thanks for the tip about the doors lol ☺ Also im leaning towards RC and think husband may get his way here about a balcony now

My husband and I are debating this. He thinks im over paranoid.

Ive never actually been on a cruise before and like the idea of waking up/ staying up on the balcony when my then 4 year old is asleep. Or breakfast on the balcony. However I've said no to a balcony with her this time and want an outside stateroom (something ive never really wanted other than the fact we have a young kid)

I've seen a lot of people and videos who've had one with under 5s? Id be so afraid of them going over it while you're in the bathroom or something. I probably sound nuts. I think id be paranoid if it were adults only around us and id be worrying about her bothering them even though she's well behaved, thought hats kinda beside the main point. Maybe it's my anxiety talking but really how safe are they, how high are they, do the doors lock etc etc etc bla bla bla crazy anxious mum talk

So my question is have you, or would you with under 5s book a balcony stateroom or am I wrong???

What "sounds nuts" is leaving a small child on (or near) an easily accessible and non-childproof balcony (on a ship, in a hotel, etc) while you go to the bathroom. It would take all of five seconds to scale that railing. Are you prepared to be completely attendant (e.g., no accidental dozing off on the veranda)?

How many children have fallen from cruise ship balconies? Zero. I am crazy paranoid with my kids and heights (Grand Canyon is not an option), and I'm not very nervous on cruise balconies. When they were little, they had to stay one foot from the rail (which was nuts, now that I think back).

What "sounds nuts" is leaving a small child on (or near) an easily accessible and non-childproof balcony (on a ship, in a hotel, etc) while you go to the bathroom. It would take all of five seconds to scale that railing. Are you prepared to be completely attendant (e.g., no accidental dozing off on the veranda)?

Who's leaving their child?? I never said she would be left. And yes if I did take a balcony I would be COMPLETELY attendant. As in she would be in the bathroom with me if my husband wasnt in the room or was asleep. I've never said I'd leave her alone at any point. I lived somewhere with a balcony when she was a year and old, so know the dangers with a small child Etc etc etc.

But then I would also be completely attendant at all times with her being on a ship in the first place. Balcony or not. And no offence intended but accidental dozing? No chance any time anywhere with a four year old lol.

But i guess thats why i posted this, to get opinions of other people who've done it or would never do it 👌 so thanks for replying ☺

How many children have fallen from cruise ship balconies? Zero. I am crazy paranoid with my kids and heights (Grand Canyon is not an option), and I'm not very nervous on cruise balconies. When they were little, they had to stay one foot from the rail (which was nuts, now that I think back).

Thank you!! Im crazy paranoid too which is why i posted to see what other crazy paranoid mums would do lol.

Thank you!! Im crazy paranoid too which is why i posted to see what other crazy paranoid mums would do lol.

On all RCI ships (I've been on) at the very top of the slider there is a special child lock in addition to the regular lock on the handle....Many cruiser's don't even realize their there...but they are, you just have to look for it..and use it.

We as a large family cruise often with our extended family which includes toddler grandchildren...and usually stay in cabins with balconies ... and have had no problem with those two very smart, strong and active Houdini's being able to slide those heavy doors.

Edited by Ashland

IMO, a balcony is a must have when you have young kids...unless your child routinely crawls over stairway railings or your deck railing at home, he will NOT be "falling off the ship"!

The doors are heavy and they lock...and, unless you are getting a suite, you will never be more than 3 steps away in a standard cabin..they are teeny!

Who's leaving their child?? I never said she would be left. And yes if I did take a balcony I would be COMPLETELY attendant. As in she would be in the bathroom with me if my husband wasnt in the room or was asleep. I've never said I'd leave her alone at any point. I lived somewhere with a balcony when she was a year and old, so know the dangers with a small child Etc etc etc.

But then I would also be completely attendant at all times with her being on a ship in the first place. Balcony or not. And no offence intended but accidental dozing? No chance any time anywhere with a four year old lol.

But i guess thats why i posted this, to get opinions of other people who've done it or would never do it [emoji108] so thanks for replying ☺

From your original post:

"Id be so afraid of them going over it while you're in the bathroom or something."

From your original post:

"Id be so afraid of them going over it while you're in the bathroom or something."

Oh forget it I hate people like you on forums. Did you read the rest of my 2nd reply. I didn't mean I'd actually leave her completely alone. I stated in my reply I'd never actively leave her. Plus my husband would be there too, in the cabin. It's more my paranoid worries and why I'm asking can children open the doors easily etc. As im the one not sure about it. And everyone else have answered my questions so it's all good.

But yeah thanks for all that help 👍

On all RCI ships (I've been on) at the very top of the slider there is a special child lock in addition to the regular lock on the handle....Many cruiser's don't even realize their there...but they are, you just have to look for it..and use it.

We as a large family cruise often with our extended family which includes toddler grandchildren...and usually stay in cabins with balconies ... and have had no problem with those two very smart, strong and active Houdini's being able to slide those heavy doors.

RC I think is the one I'm going for. A child lock is awesome! That would make me feel so much better about the idea of a balcony. Thanks for replying. Helpful hearing from people who brought young children on board ☺

IMO, a balcony is a must have when you have young kids...unless your child routinely crawls over stairway railings or your deck railing at home, he will NOT be "falling off the ship"!

The doors are heavy and they lock...and, unless you are getting a suite, you will never be more than 3 steps away in a standard cabin..they are teeny!

CB at sea, yes I've always planned on a balcony for our cruise, I hate the thought of not having one. I just didn't think I'd be taking a young child with me when I finally cruised. And I can totally see how it could benefit us, we'd be able to sit out while she slept since wed be stuck in the room at night. And I'd prob have breakfast there since we're awful for being up and ready early.

Thanks!!

Oh forget it I hate people like you on forums. Did you read the rest of my 2nd reply. I didn't mean I'd actually leave her completely alone. I stated in my reply I'd never actively leave her. Plus my husband would be there too, in the cabin. It's more my paranoid worries and why I'm asking can children open the doors easily etc. As im the one not sure about it. And everyone else have answered my questions so it's all good.

But yeah thanks for all that help [emoji106]

Hate all you want - just don't let it detract from your vigilance.

BTW, depending on the particular ship, the rails may not be chest high. More importantly, some railings would not meet newer construction requirements as regards kids squeezing through the rails below the top rail. You may want to search for images of the rail configuration on the ships you are considering.

BTW, depending on the particular ship, the rails may not be chest high. More importantly, some railings would not meet newer construction requirements as regards kids squeezing through the rails below the top rail. You may want to search for images of the rail configuration on the ships you are considering.

See now you're being helpful and answering the original question!! Thanks!! ☺

Here you have the lock on the door (It have been similar to all Royal ships I have been on), as you could tell there's no way a four year old would be able to open that..

DSC01587.JPG

Door%20-%2010%20003.jpg-for-web-normal.jpg

IMG_0657_zps1ab49a58.jpg

Here you can see the height of the railing and how high the child lock is from the floor.

By the way, don't feed the troll. ;)

Edited by Extra Kim

Here you have the lock on the door (It have been similar to all Royal ships I have been on), as you could tell there's no way a four year old would be able to open that..

IMG_0657_zps1ab49a58.jpg

Here you can see the height of the railing and how high the child lock is from the floor.

By the way, don't feed the troll. ;)

Aw thank you so much for the picture of the lock!! Yeah I feel okay about it now she'd never unlock that.

I know i know lol

And wow what an amazing shot, where was that last picture taken? I need to go on that cruise!!

We are taking my daughter who is nearly 3 on her second cruise this year. A balcony is a must if only to get some space while she is napping. As others have posted the balconies are (mostly) chest height and often have a child lock.

Just be aware than some ships have rung-style railings on some open deck that little ones could climb like a ladder in a second. We generally avoid those areas as, despite keeping on hand on said toddler, my nerves cannot cope!

Not all ships have these but some do so might just be worth double checking if you are concerned. c76fef15c7d22fa43b3539dafd1cbde5_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums