Should we tackle Leeds Castle & Chartwell in the same day?

SOPOME

We'll be in London next May for 2 1/2 days before our cruise. This is our second visit, but there are still lots of things we want to see. We are interested in both Leeds Castle and Chartwell, and looking at a map, it looks like we could possibly see both in one day if we start out early...what do you experts think? We will be staying at The Royal Horseguards, so I think that is pretty central for catching the train? Is that our best bet for transportation?

I am not sure how practical this is by train. It looks like a two hour journey each way to Hollingbourne Station (for Leeds Castle) and then a bit of a walk to the castle. There is no sensible route from there to Chartwell.

I do see a number of companies offering tours to these two places though and in a car it would make a very pleasant day out. Not cheap though - I see prices from £450 and up for a private tour for up to four people..

I am not sure how practical this is by train. It looks like a two hour journey each way to Hollingbourne Station (for Leeds Castle) and then a bit of a walk to the castle. There is no sensible route from there to Chartwell.

I do see a number of companies offering tours to these two places though and in a car it would make a very pleasant day out. Not cheap though - I see prices from £450 and up for a private tour for up to four people..

Thanks for your input! It looks like we will have to do them on separate days if we want to just go on our own...I'm sure we'll save considerable money over the tour prices..yikes! :)

A little more research shows that you can easily catch a train from London Victoria to Bearsted Station (for Leeds Castle) and there is a connecting bus service in the summer.. The return fare is currently under 25 GBP and the journey time is around an hour. You can also catch the train from London Bridge Station if you are staying in the East of the City.

Edenbridge Station for Chartwell is also easy to get to from the same stations. It is, however on a different line so a train between the two is not really feasible. Edenbridge is also about an hour from Victoria but the fare is as much as 10 GBP less.

This site has all the timetables and prices. http://tickets.southeasternrailway.co.uk/se/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

A little more research shows that you can easily catch a train from London Victoria to Bearsted Station (for Leeds Castle) and there is a connecting bus service in the summer.. The return fare is currently under 25 GBP and the journey time is around an hour. You can also catch the train from London Bridge Station if you are staying in the East of the City.

Edenbridge Station for Chartwell is also easy to get to from the same stations. It is, however on a different line so a train between the two is not really feasible. Edenbridge is also about an hour from Victoria but the fare is as much as 10 GBP less.

This site has all the timetables and prices. http://tickets.southeasternrailway.co.uk/se/en/JourneyPlanning/MixingDeck

Thanks so much! Those prices sound a whole lot better than the private tour cost! :)

We are staying at The Royal Horseguards so I think the Victoria stations is best?