Qaqortoq, Greenland??

Trying to find tours for Qaqortoq, any ideas?? Princess doesn't even have it listed in their shore excursions brochure!:confused:

Hi Carol and Jim,

The best tour in Qaqortoq is the launch ride over from the ship. There are no organized shore excursions because there is really nowhere to go! A couple of locals have a couple of six seater vans and do private "tours" for a few bucks but they don't go outside the small town itself because there are no roads out. There is some nice rock art just above the dock area, a short walk to the only fountain in Greenland and a little community hall where local kids usually put on a free show. Apart from that it's best to just have a quick walk around and then get in line for the launch back to the ship. The lines usually form quite quickly. Basically, the thrill of a stop in Qaqortoq is just to say you've stood on Greenland! Go to http://www.greenland.com for more info.

John Lawrence

• 4 weeks later...
There are no organized shore excursions because there is really nowhere to go! A couple of locals have a couple of six seater vans and do private "tours" for a few bucks but they don't go outside the small town itself because there are no roads out.

Actually, that's not true. Here's what I've found about tours/excursions in Greenland. There are others I've seen, but didn't save the websites. Do some research on the Internet and you'll find things.

1) http://www.qaq.gl/index.php?id=10&L=2. This website lists some tours on land and by boat. They have a City Tour for 1.5 hrs. ($27), tour of a fur tanning and processing facility for 1 hr. ($15), Stone and Man tour for 1.5 hrs. ($27), Cultural Entertainment, Eating a meal with a local family for a few hours ($45), and Having cakes and coffee in the home of a local family while looking at local dress for 1.5 hrs. ($23). They also have boat tours going to swim in a hot spring, touring ruins of an historic church, a trip to walk on the ice cap, fishing trips, or whale watching. Looks like you can book a tour/activity right on the website.

2) Another good website is http://www.southgreenland.gl/english/introduktion.aspx.

Well, this should help people to start to learn a bit about the country and get an idea of what there is to do.

Actually, that's not true. Here's what I've found about tours/excursions in Greenland. There are others I've seen, but didn't save the websites. Do some research on the Internet and you'll find things.

1) http://www.qaq.gl/index.php?id=10&L=2. This website lists some tours on land and by boat. They have a City Tour for 1.5 hrs. ($27), tour of a fur tanning and processing facility for 1 hr. ($15), Stone and Man tour for 1.5 hrs. ($27), Cultural Entertainment, Eating a meal with a local family for a few hours ($45), and Having cakes and coffee in the home of a local family while looking at local dress for 1.5 hrs. ($23). They also have boat tours going to swim in a hot spring, touring ruins of an historic church, a trip to walk on the ice cap, fishing trips, or whale watching. Looks like you can book a tour/activity right on the website.

2) Another good website is http://www.southgreenland.gl/english/introduktion.aspx.

Well, this should help people to start to learn a bit about the country and get an idea of what there is to do.

This all looks fantastic, however I think, having been there, that to call Qaqortog a city is probably a bit ambitious. The stones are the most interesting things to see by far. The fur tanning and processing factory is quite gruesome, do you really want to see whole skinned seals? I don't think that there would be enough time to do the boat trips due to the length of time it takes to get everyone off of the ship and back on again. The cultural entertainment was free in a small hall. I would just get the map and walk around yourself and enjoy the uniqueness of the place, 1 1/2 hours is more than enough time to see everything. I thought that it was a fantastic place to be able to visit, and really enjoyed it.

Hi

This information is really useful.

Please could you tell me what currency is used? Will they take Euors? $'s?

Sterling? Is it worth getting a small amount of local currency (is is Danish Krona?) or is there nothing much to spend it on?

Many thanks.

We were in Nanortalik several years ago and there were also no shore excursions. We were told by Princess this was because of the lack of tour operators in the area. It is a very small village.

For us this was not a problem at all, we LOVED the stop so much that we have booked another cruise that stops in Qaqortoq this year. The locals were wonderful, put on a nice cultural show for everyone on the ship along with cookies and tea. There were also some hand made items for sale. We walked around the village, stopped at local stores and restaurants. They did fishing and kayaking demonstrations as well as there was a very interesting fish market. What a truly wonderful part of our world.

Many of the cruise passengers were convinced that we would not make it to Nanortalik because of weather conditions, but we were one of the lucky ships and made it in, no problem.

The local currency is Danish Kroner, but we saw passengers paying with dollars and Euros. I would be concerned about the exchange rate though. They would only give change in Danish Kroner.

Enjoy your time there!

• 3 years later...