Car service

UNV-IT!!!

Take the train! RER B 9.50 euro and take about 45 minutes.

I'm sure you mean well with your suggestion but the OP was asking about a car service, not the train. He or she likely already ruled out the train because of their specific needs.

I, too, am interested in information about taxis versus car service. We will not be able to manage the train due to one of us being elderly, less mobile, and the need to handle the luggage.

Certainly, make alternate suggestions, but please also answer the question that was actually asked.

You have a few options, each with some pros and cons. There are always taxis, for which you do not need to reserve. Just like most airports, you simply roll your luggage outside the terminal doors and get in the taxi queue. Another option are the various shared shuttle services which are cheaper then a taxi, very reliable, but can involve some waiting or driving around CDG while your driver picks up other customers who have also reserved with that company. "Super Shuttle or Shuttle Direct both provide this kind of service and you book online.

Getting back to your OP, a company that has a good reputation can be found online at

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/

With any service, it is helpful to have a working phone in case you need to call them (once in Paris) to deal with a missed connection, being late, etc.

I should add that Paris has an excellent radio taxi company called "G7." They are a large company (you will see their taxis everywhere in the city) but they can be called for pick-up at their English speaking number 33 (0)1 41 27 66 99 and you can also book (or order) a taxi via their web site at http://www.taxisg7.com/taxis/commande-taxis.

We really like this G7 company because, unlike some other things in Paris, these folks are reliable. In fact, we were recently in Paris (rented an apartment) and needed a taxi on a National Holiday to get us about 2 miles from our apartment to our rental car agency (to pick up a car). I ordered a taxi, a few days in advance, from G7 and asked for a pick-up at 9:30am. We left our apartment at 9:25...went out to the street (with all our luggage) and at exactly 9:30 our taxi pulled-up. Hard to beat that kind of service.

One final hint. Not everyone in Paris speaks English :). And even we Americans that think we speak some French are usually not very good with pronunciation. So whenever you use a taxi (or even a car service) in foreign countries it is smart to write down (in block letters) the address where you want to go so you can hand it to the driver. In Paris it is also helpful to include the 5 digit zip code since the last two digits tell the driver which Arrondisement (neighborhood). Nearly all the Paris taxis have GPS, which can be needed if you are staying on a small back street.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I have taken just about every way to get into Paris and I would say that a taxi is the way to go especially when one needs extra help. Hank has written it all out well.I would just like to add that DO NOT take any taxi not in the queue outside the terminal. Men will meet you at the door offering a great ride,cheaper etc. just say NO as you will be ripped off.They are gypsy cabs.And, most important as noted before have your address where you want to go written out. Sometimes it is best to spend the extra money.

Cberge brought up a great point as so-called "gypsy" cabs are all too common in Paris. These are private entrepreneurs that used their own car to make some money. The bottom line is that they are not professionals, they generally have no insurance, and have even been known to rob some of their passengers. Licensed taxis are easy to recognize (just like in most places) and they have meters. The private services I mentioned are licensed and insured (and there are others you can find online). To emphasize cberges excellent advice, "do not go with any gypsy cab in Paris!"

Hank

Thank you both for your advice. I didn't know about gypsy cabs or that the last two digits of the zip code indicated the arrondissement (or even what an arrondissement was!)

Does one tip for taxi service in France? If so, are we talking about 10% or so? Or just rounding up to the next Euro? Of course, we would also compensate according to the service received (like helping with luggage).

Take the train! RER B 9.50 euro and take about 45 minutes.

While I have already purchased Paris passes and plan to use the RER and other public transportation throughout my stay I would prefer to have a car/van take me from the airport to the hotel with our luggage. About 5 bags. Especially considering this is my first time in France. Once at the hotel and I have better info on my surroundings I will have no issue venturing off and using all the trains and such. I'm doing Disney 2 days and will be taking the RER there too. So I have plenty of time for trains.

You have a few options, each with some pros and cons. There are always taxis, for which you do not need to reserve. Just like most airports, you simply roll your luggage outside the terminal doors and get in the taxi queue. Another option are the various shared shuttle services which are cheaper then a taxi, very reliable, but can involve some waiting or driving around CDG while your driver picks up other customers who have also reserved with that company. "Super Shuttle or Shuttle Direct both provide this kind of service and you book online.

Getting back to your OP, a company that has a good reputation can be found online at

http://www.shuttle-inter.com/

With any service, it is helpful to have a working phone in case you need to call them (once in Paris) to deal with a missed connection, being late, etc.

I should add that Paris has an excellent radio taxi company called "G7." They are a large company (you will see their taxis everywhere in the city) but they can be called for pick-up at their English speaking number 33 (0)1 41 27 66 99 and you can also book (or order) a taxi via their web site at http://www.taxisg7.com/taxis/commande-taxis.

We really like this G7 company because, unlike some other things in Paris, these folks are reliable. In fact, we were recently in Paris (rented an apartment) and needed a taxi on a National Holiday to get us about 2 miles from our apartment to our rental car agency (to pick up a car). I ordered a taxi, a few days in advance, from G7 and asked for a pick-up at 9:30am. We left our apartment at 9:25...went out to the street (with all our luggage) and at exactly 9:30 our taxi pulled-up. Hard to beat that kind of service.

One final hint. Not everyone in Paris speaks English :). And even we Americans that think we speak some French are usually not very good with pronunciation. So whenever you use a taxi (or even a car service) in foreign countries it is smart to write down (in block letters) the address where you want to go so you can hand it to the driver. In Paris it is also helpful to include the 5 digit zip code since the last two digits tell the driver which Arrondisement (neighborhood). Nearly all the Paris taxis have GPS, which can be needed if you are staying on a small back street.

Hank

I have taken just about every way to get into Paris and I would say that a taxi is the way to go especially when one needs extra help. Hank has written it all out well.I would just like to add that DO NOT take any taxi not in the queue outside the terminal. Men will meet you at the door offering a great ride,cheaper etc. just say NO as you will be ripped off.They are gypsy cabs.And, most important as noted before have your address where you want to go written out. Sometimes it is best to spend the extra money.

So then am I better off forgoing the car service and just looking for a taxi at the airport?

I don't have the company name with me but I had found a service last night for 55 euro from CDG to my hotel.

So then am I better off forgoing the car service and just looking for a taxi at the airport?

I don't have the company name with me but I had found a service last night for 55 euro from CDG to my hotel.

That is a great fare for a private car (assuming its a decent provider). Even a taxi is going to cost you around that amount and possibly more (depending on where you are going within Paris and the traffic). Its a tough call but personally, if we felt comfortable with the private car company (or had seen good reviews) we might opt to give that a try. There is no right or wrong with this kind of issues but just comes down to your own gut feeling.

Hank

That is a great fare for a private car (assuming its a decent provider). Even a taxi is going to cost you around that amount and possibly more (depending on where you are going within Paris and the traffic). Its a tough call but personally, if we felt comfortable with the private car company (or had seen good reviews) we might opt to give that a try. There is no right or wrong with this kind of issues but just comes down to your own gut feeling.

Hank

I'll post the name when the gf gets home. She found the company. I know there were a lot of positive reviews on trip advisor and yelp.

Thank you both for your advice. I didn't know about gypsy cabs or that the last two digits of the zip code indicated the arrondissement (or even what an arrondissement was!)

Does one tip for taxi service in France? If so, are we talking about 10% or so? Or just rounding up to the next Euro? Of course, we would also compensate according to the service received (like helping with luggage).

10% is good and a tad more if helpful..they do appreciate it just lile anyone would. you will ARR meaning the arrondissement when you are going around Paris..if you look at a Paris map you will see how Paris is laid out with the ARR's.Interesting. Have a great visit.

It is a very, very nice feeling to come into the arrival hall of CDG, groggy from the trans-Atlantic flight and see someone standing just outside the doors holding a sign with your name on it. That individual will assist you with your luggage as you walk to car. He/she will also take you efficiently to an ATM machine and rest room if you need to stop at either of those places. Then, the driver should be able to take you unerringly to your hotel.

If the services I've described are really appealing to you, then use a car service. If you're comfortable being in an unfamiliar airport -- confident that with a bit of vigilance and perhaps a couple of wrong turns or asking questions of others -- you'll find the queue for licensed taxis, then you can save the money and take a taxi.

I was startled by your comment about five pieces of luggage. You don't specify the size of your luggage, and one might be a medical device like a C-PAP so this may be as much as I imagine. Still, that's a lot of luggage to deal with at every transition point and Paris hotel rooms are typically not generously-sized.

I was startled by your comment about five pieces of luggage. You don't specify the size of your luggage, and one might be a medical device like a C-PAP so this may be as much as I imagine. Still, that's a lot of luggage to deal with at every transition point and Paris hotel rooms are typically not generously-sized.

Whoops! "not" This may not be as much as I imagine.

It is a very, very nice feeling to come into the arrival hall of CDG, groggy from the trans-Atlantic flight and see someone standing just outside the doors holding a sign with your name on it. That individual will assist you with your luggage as you walk to car. He/she will also take you efficiently to an ATM machine and rest room if you need to stop at either of those places. Then, the driver should be able to take you unerringly to your hotel.

If the services I've described are really appealing to you, then use a car service. If you're comfortable being in an unfamiliar airport -- confident that with a bit of vigilance and perhaps a couple of wrong turns or asking questions of others -- you'll find the queue for licensed taxis, then you can save the money and take a taxi.

It's 2 24" rollers along with 2 18" rollers. 1 duffle bag. Plus a back pack and traveling bag. But those two are personally held.

It's 2 24" rollers along with 2 18" rollers. 1 duffle bag. Plus a back pack and traveling bag. But those two are personally held.

Seven pieces! Not five! Oh my goodness! What is your itinerary? Have you ever traveled in Europe with a similar amount of luggage?

I read your ages in another thread, and I know you're young and mobile. My concern has little to do with a mobility issue and much more from a security issue and a you-really-don't-need-that-much issue. If you read articles about packing for a trip in travel magazines, the rule of thumb is to pack for one week regardless of how long you'll actually be traveling.

Please remember that you will be more vulnerable for petty crime when you're dealing with lots of stuff. Also remember that most European hotel rooms cannot accommodate all that luggage and still leave you a comfortable path in the room. Finally, no one will be judging you on the basis of your wardrobe.

European cruises -- which often involve pre- and post-cruise land travel -- are a very different kind of travel compared to cruises in the Caribbean. There's definitely less of a fashion show.

I urge you to reconsider your packing list.

Seven pieces! Not five! Oh my goodness! What is your itinerary? Have you ever traveled in Europe with a similar amount of luggage?

I read your ages in another thread, and I know you're young and mobile. My concern has little to do with a mobility issue and much more from a security issue and a you-really-don't-need-that-much issue. If you read articles about packing for a trip in travel magazines, the rule of thumb is to pack for one week regardless of how long you'll actually be traveling.

Please remember that you will be more vulnerable for petty crime when you're dealing with lots of stuff. Also remember that most European hotel rooms cannot accommodate all that luggage and still leave you a comfortable path in the room. Finally, no one will be judging you on the basis of your wardrobe.

European cruises -- which often involve pre- and post-cruise land travel -- are a very different kind of travel compared to cruises in the Caribbean. There's definitely less of a fashion show.

I urge you to reconsider your packing list.

It's a 30 day trip that consists of days in Paris and Netherlands before 13 night transatlantic home. I need clothes for cold and warm weather. As it will be cold in Europe but hot on the cruise home. Pagan actual luggage is 5 bags. A back pack is on my back. A purse is on my gf's arm. Luggage we have to physically move around. Yes. The duffle straps on top of our 24". So that 2 bags that move as 1.

Btw this is packed down for us. Normally we have 7 bags for. 7 night carribran. And that's usually with 2 30" bags. Which we are leaving home this time.

It's a 30 day trip that consists of days in Paris and Netherlands before 13 night transatlantic home. I need clothes for cold and warm weather. As it will be cold in Europe but hot on the cruise home. Pagan actual luggage is 5 bags. A back pack is on my back. A purse is on my gf's arm. Luggage we have to physically move around. Yes. The duffle straps on top of our 24". So that 2 bags that move as 1.

Btw this is packed down for us. Normally we have 7 bags for. 7 night carribran. And that's usually with 2 30" bags. Which we are leaving home this time.

All I can say is "Bonnes Vacances!" and "Bon Voyage!" Good luck with your seven pieces of luggage.

We were in Normandy and Paris last month. Any time we tipped for taxi service -- about 10% -- the drivers seemed genuinely surprised and very, very appreciative. In Normandy, we had a driver take us to a small cider factory, wait while we visited and bring us back to the hotel. When I paid him, he returned the tip explaining the price was only "x". Until I explained that the extra was a tip for him, he assumed I had either mis-heard the cost of the ride or I has mis-counted my money.

I suspect you have closed the door on using taxis because of the quantity of luggage you're planning to take. In fact, I strongly recommend you inform the car service about the quantity and size of your luggage when booking the car. I have a strong suspicion that your remarkable 55 Euro price quote will escalate when the company assigns an appropriately-sized car for the volume of your luggage.

It's a 30 day trip that consists of days in Paris and Netherlands before 13 night transatlantic home. I need clothes for cold and warm weather. As it will be cold in Europe but hot on the cruise home.

Are you taking the southern trans-Atlantic route to a Florida port or the northern route to the port in NY? I've rarely heard either route described as "hot" although the southern route can still be moderate (low to mid-70s) at the end of October. For me, temps in that range simply means the basic wardrobe I've traveled with in Europe without needing the outer layers of fleece and light-weight down.

All of oct.

I do not think you need to pack COLD weather clothes per se.I have been in France in Oct and Nov and never needed anything warmer than fall clothes in layers in case it did get colder...even at Thanxgiving time in Paris.Spring clothes in layer should do you just fine and may even help to reduce your amount of luggage.It is not east raveling around Europe with a great number of bags unless you have someone to help you...really.You can always have laundry done at your hotle or find a laudromat.You guys are young and should not need all the changes of clothes.Since you have traveled a great deal you must have some idea of what it is going to entail.Just saying.