Take 2

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

I have a couple of related questions regarding QM2.

Firstly: If you had had an entirely free hand, free from any constraints be they physical, financial or otherwise, how would the ship have been different?

And secondly: If you were starting again, say on a (hypothetical) sister ship, is there anything you would do differently second time around?

Regards, Colin.

• 2 weeks later...
Colin,

I would have loved to have had a taller funnel, something akin to Queen Elizabeth 2's. Unfortunately the air-draught (height from the waterline to the top of the highest part of the ship) at New York is restricted to 62 metres to allow passage under the Verrazano Narrows bridge. The funnel as extant on board is at the maximum height I was allowed. Hence the exaggerated wind scoop to provide sufficient upthrust to throw the smoke clear of the aft decks.

If starting out again I would adjust the Lookout observation area on deck 13 forward. I would enclose it further to allow covered access straight from the "A" staircase and I would raise it up sufficiently so that you could see the tip of the bow as a reference point. On Queen Mary 2 this isn't the case. Otherwise, I would increase the size of the Captain's cabin to provide more space for a contained office within the cabin. A small point, but one that generates endless comments from some quarters!!

Thank you for your question.

Stephen

Archived