Papal Audience

heathero

Hi, we are docking in Civiavecchia on Wednesday the 3rd June on the NCL Epic at 6 am, we are in a suite so get preferential disembarkation.

Do you think it would be possible for my 26 year old son to

• Get the 7.02 or 7.19 train from Civitavecchia
  • Get off at St Peters station and go to the Bronze doors for a ticket
  • And get into the Papal Audience

He will have hand luggage with him (mainly a laptop), will this be a problem?

He should get to the Bronze doors about 9am, will they still have tickets or do they run out?

The rest of us will depart at a ore leisurely pace and take all the luggage to an apartment near St Peters Station and then walk to St Peters to meet him after the Audience.

I'm not sure about the Bronze Door nor the ticket you are talking about. Do you mean to actually be a participant in the Audience? According to the guard, those are very limited and must be arranged months in advance. and not all that request are granted.

When we were in Rome, we walked from our hotel to the Vatican and were totally surprised that it was a Papal Audience. We didn't need a ticket, we just lined up and went through metal detectors. Our purses were searched but allowed through. There were thousands of people in the square. They had big screen TVs, so even if you were far away, you could still see the Pope and Cardinals. And even took pictures of the screen when the Pope was speaking.

I'm not Catholic, but I have to say, it was quite an inspiring moment to see the Papal Audience. So glad we happened on it by chance.

Hope you and your son's plans work out for you.

Look into the tickets through an internet search. It appears that people can reserve them and then pick them up at the office next to the Bronze Doors. Having the ticket reserved can lessen the anxiety of being able to catch that first train.

Try the Vatican household prefecture page or the Santa Susana church page - seemed to have good info.