Cruise ship diving in Bonaire

icsys

Will be visiting Bonaire next Feb and looking to do a couple of dives whilst there for the day.

Has anyone got experience of diving via RCI, or through an independent operator in the Kralendijk area that would be easy to get to from the pier and will cater for a cruise passenger?

As you may know--Bonaire is all about diving from shore. I've been there about 20 times, but never on a cruise--yet! I suggest picking a resort with a dive shop and that would be all resorts, and make a shore dive out front of the place. My personal favorite dive at a resort is the dive site Cliff at Captain Don's Habitat. It is about a $10 taxi ride to the left. Arrange it in advance by email-Google Habitat Bonaire for info. Flamingo Beach Hotel with attendant dive shop is the closest to the ship and the dive is decent, but in my view not as good as Cliff.

• 2 weeks later...
As you may know--Bonaire is all about diving from shore. I've been there about 20 times, but never on a cruise--yet! I suggest picking a resort with a dive shop and that would be all resorts, and make a shore dive out front of the place. My personal favorite dive at a resort is the dive site Cliff at Captain Don's Habitat. It is about a $10 taxi ride to the left. Arrange it in advance by email-Google Habitat Bonaire for info. Flamingo Beach Hotel with attendant dive shop is the closest to the ship and the dive is decent, but in my view not as good as Cliff.

Thanks for your input..

Yep, the Island is geared up for shore diving.

I'd gladly pick a dive shop but I will be a solo diver (no buddy traveling with me) so would need to find someone to dive with. I'm told the boats go to the same sites that are accessed from the shore (with the exception of Klein Bonaire).

For these reasons, I'm wondering if the ship excursion, on this occasion, would be as good as an independent.

Anyone with experience of diving through the ship, or who knows which shop RCI uses, would help to make an informed decision.

Edited by icsys

Divi Dive resort is literally steps from the cruise pier. I bet if you email them they will set you up with a dive master for two shore dives. The last time we dove there it was lovely, and had lockers where you could put your stuff (bring your own lock). That would save taxi fare and time!

• 2 weeks later...
I know I am a little late, but Dive Friends of Bonaire are excellent. We wen to two excellent wall dives. Loved it and can;t wait to go back

Not late at all. Thanks for your reply.

I think Dive Friends are the operator who the cruise ships use (I saw a review on trip advisor) although I haven't had this confirmed.

Yes - I used them from a RCCL ship.

The diving was phenominal.

The staff was great and the equipment was good quality.

They have several shops, as we walked past a second one on our way back to the ship to buy T-shirts.

It was close by and very convenient.

I would not hesitate to use them again.

Happy diving!!!