Chattanooga debark question for Calliope

jimlssi

Schedule says the boat docks in Chattanooga at 0800. If I have a car waiting, can I make a 1040 flight departure. I know the airport is relatively small, but I do not know the distance/travel time early on a Saturday morning. Any others with first hand experience, please jump in.

Thanks

Jim

Saint Simons Island, Ga

I've never been to Chattanooga on the AMERICAN QUEEN, only the DELTA QUEEN and MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. I've seen recent years photos of the AMERICAN QUEEN at that same landing in downtown Chattanooga called Ross' Landing. Under normal conditions and the boat is there at 8:00 AM, making it to the airport by 10:40 AM should be no problem.

But the last time I traveled on the boat I noted there was a different landing listed in the information booklet sent with the tickets. (This booklet is also on AQSC's website) It has the landing at 5959 Shallowford Rd. I did a Google Maps search, and to me it looks like if that is their actual landing a new channel will have to be engineered and dug. For all I know it could be the middle of a tobacco or cornfield!

If the landing is still Ross's Landing, but for some reason the boat can't get there and has to land at South Pittsburgh, TN you are sunk! South Pittsburg sits right near the Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee borders. It's not too far from Chattanooga as the crow flies but it get a little hilly in those parts. The first TVA dam below Chattanooga is Nickajack Dam, and it has only one chamber. If it has to close for emergency repairs you'll get to know South Pittsburg whether you want to or not. Another navigational condition that could keep the boat away from downtown Chattanooga is high water. There isn't much room for that big boat to squeeze under the last few bridges into Chattanooga during pool water, so if there is high water turn over day would probably be at, yes, you guessed it, South Pittsburg.

So if you are not a gambling soul and want to be on the safe side, I would catch a later flight.

Edited by Calliope

They still show Ross Landing, but as you say, it will be controlled by the elements. I think Shallowford Rd is the motel address. The 1040am flight is close to sold out and I'll bet that 99% of the pax on that flight are from AQ. I'm retired and don't have anywhere to go the next day, so I think I'll gamble on Ross. Thanks for your insight.

Jim

If your tickets show Ross' Landing then that should be it if navigational conditions permit, but the booklet "Essential Information" which is available on their website clearly states that the boat's landing is: Port of Chattanooga, 5959 Shallowford Rd. It's listed with the other cities' landings which I know are correct.

If you have to spend a night in Chattanooga, the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel, restaurant and entertainment center is a fun place to stay.

When I saw, as you did, that Shallowford Road was on a highway, not a river, I called and the CSR went off line while she checked to verify that it was the hotel address and that the docking address is Ross. Don't know why they would do that, as many pax, like me, need to know the physical location for pickup at debark.

Jim

• 2 months later...
If your tickets show Ross' Landing then that should be it if navigational conditions permit, but the booklet "Essential Information" which is available on their website clearly states that the boat's landing is: Port of Chattanooga, 5959 Shallowford Rd. It's listed with the other cities' landings which I know are correct.

If you have to spend a night in Chattanooga, the Chattanooga Choo Choo hotel, restaurant and entertainment center is a fun place to stay.

Although you will probably make it in time to the Chattanooga Airport, my wife would be biting her finger nails. It is going to take you about twenty five minutes (15 without a cruise ship) see Map below:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Ross's+Landing+Park,+Riverfront+Pkwy,+Chattanooga,+TN+37402/35.037487,-85.197149/@35.0313986,-85.3214575,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m8!4m7!1m5!1m1!1s0x88605e8a51af3211:0x7843bf7c4bbc23b0!2m2!1d-85.314753!2d35.05608!1m0?hl=en-US

The Chattanooga Airport is located at: 1001 Airport Road, Suite 14

Chattanooga, Tennessee 37421 are you sure you don't have time to check out the Choo Choo hotel? It is a grand hotel! is the only Historic Hotels of America resort in Chattanooga, TN. The Terminal Station in Downtown Chattanooga has been converted into the most fun and beautiful of all Chattanooga hotels! Whether you stay in one of our Victorian Train Cars, Hotel Suites or Standard Rooms, as one of the top Tennessee resorts, you can enjoy our indoor and outdoor pools, gardens and on-site shopping. The Station House Restaurant and a Railway Baggage Cart Salad bar are calling my name! http://youtu.be/Oo-f4tRL5Lo :D