Blue Hole/Secret Falls- Good for Kids?

lgskds

I've read lots of reviews here on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor that the Blue Hole/Secret Falls is a must do excursion when making a stop in Jamaica. However, I wondered if anyone can share some insight on whether they thought it would be a good excursion with kids. Mine are 12 and 8 and neither are dare-devils, so I don't see them swinging on the ropes or jumping off anything high into the water below! Is there enough to do, that they would still enjoy? Do I have any reason, to be nervous about taking them? Any insight, is appreciated! Thanks.

I've read lots of reviews here on Cruise Critic and Trip Advisor that the Blue Hole/Secret Falls is a must do excursion when making a stop in Jamaica. However, I wondered if anyone can share some insight on whether they thought it would be a good excursion with kids. Mine are 12 and 8 and neither are dare-devils, so I don't see them swinging on the ropes or jumping off anything high into the water below! Is there enough to do, that they would still enjoy? Do I have any reason, to be nervous about taking them? Any insight, is appreciated! Thanks.

Do they like to swim? Do they like water? There are life jackets available to put your mind at ease. They don't have to be dare devils to enjoy the Blue Hole. It's very calm, unlike an ocean with rough waves. No tide to pull them in. Lots of places to hike and walk. They are a perfect age to enjoy the falls. I saw many younger children there and different age groups of people. Our family used Liberty Tours Jamaica, and were very satisfied with the service they provided to us. Their drivers are very knowledgeable and patient. It really is an experience of a lifetime, something our family will remember for years to come.

Great, I was hoping for that answer, since I have read so many great reviews on this place, I was hoping there was more to do. I have also read great reviews on Liberty Tours! I will check them out as well. Thanks!:)

We went in December and the previous poster is correct, they do have life jackets for youngsters and those who want them. I organized a large group and we had people ranging from 6-70 and everyone had a blast. My kids are 6, 16, and 20 and all three of them had a fantastic time. It was the highlight of our trip. My 6-year-old is not a daredevil, either, but she did jump off a couple of the falls and about a 20 foot cliff. The water is super cold, but so refreshing with how warm the air temp is!

Your kids will have a great time :)

Great, I was hoping for that answer, since I have read so many great reviews on this place, I was hoping there was more to do. I have also read great reviews on Liberty Tours! I will check them out as well. Thanks!:)

We also used Liberty Tours Jamaica and was the highlight of our cruise vacation! Here is a video they made that features the Blue Hole, so you can get an idea of what it looks like and what you can do there.

Sundayb and Rosebud1g,

Hi I was looking for info on Liberty Tours. I email them a couple of time but didn't get answers to my questions. I will be on the Carnival Breeze with my daughters in their

30s. My questions: when you book is it with a group or an individual tour. We would prefer to be with a group. If you don't jump off or swing off the rope are there things to do? Was the lunch part of the excursion? (Not the cost of lunch) Any other detailed info would be appreciated.

One more thing we dock in Montego Bay is it a long boring drive?

Thanks

Pam

Edited by cody12000

Sundayb and Rosebud1g,

Hi I was looking for info on Liberty Tours. I email them a couple of time but didn't get answers to my questions. I will be on the Carnival Breeze with my daughters in their

30s. My questions: when you book is it with a group or an individual tour. We would prefer to be with a group. If you don't jump off or swing off the rope are there things to do? Was the lunch part of the excursion? (Not the cost of lunch) Any other detailed info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pam

Hi Pam,

I was on the Breeze in December and planned a tour with Liberty Tours. I opened it up to my Roll Call here on Cruise Critic and we ended up having about 25 people go.

This was the info email that I sent out to the group that went:

We will be going to the Secret Falls/Blue Hole first. Although this area is located in the Jamaican rain forest and hasn't been commercialized and mass-marketed to tourists like Dunn River Falls, Ricardo has assured me that walk to the Falls is a relatively easy one. One that someone with a bad back or knees can easily make. Of course, if you are more adventurous and want to do the jump into the hole, it is going to be a bit more of a strenuous climb, but not terrible. There are areas to just enjoy the view or splash around in the shallower parts if you want to do that. I will probably be doing that with our daughter as I am NOT going to let my first grader go cliff diving! :) He also assured me that there are life jackets available for children (not sure about adults) and I will be utilizing one for Rachael. Also, I also wanted to let you know that we are going to The Secret Falls Blue Hole and not the Mineral Blue Hole. When you google image "blue hole jamaica" it kept coming back with two different places. The place we are going is the place with the different water falls cascading down into a brilliant, blue "hole" of water. People can jump off the edge or off the the falls themselves. There is also a rope swing if you want to pretend to be Tarzan ;) Mineral Blue Hole just looks like a sink hole on a resort (there is a pool nearby) that has a ladder coming out of it. You can leap off the ledge or climb a nearby tree to jump into that hole. (It is a beautiful place and there are areas to jump that are all different heights. There are places where you can swim behind the falls and their are caves. Gorgeous place!)

After visiting the Secret Falls, we are going to visit Scotches, Jamaica Jerk Center for some authentic Jamaican jerk. Scotches is NOT the same one that Guy Fieri reviewed on his DDD special. However, Ricardo told me that the place we ARE going is very authentic Jamaican cooking and it is a local favorite. (It turned out this WAS the place that Guy Fieri reviewed and it was AWESOME!)

He will also be taking us on a tour of the area, taking us to the top of the area for a 360º panoramic view of Ocho Rios. For the history buffs, he will take us to visit the location where Christopher Columbus came in 1494. (Unfortunately, we didn't have time to do this. I think it was because we took more time at the Falls because of our group size.)

Ricardo has said he will show us the "real" Jamaica and how the local people live. He will be taking us away from the tourist centered port to an area where we can go shopping at discounted prices and places that will actually benefit the local community rather than the mass tourist market. Ricardo jokingly said he will take us to see the Jamaican "Wal-mart" and will be able to visit a local market where you will have an opportunity to buy Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee, locally made rum, or other local items without being hassled and harassed like the hawkers on the port. We will also have the opportunity to sample local coconut, sugar cane and other local fruits while we are on our sight seeing tour. (Again, just didn't have time to do this, which was a little disappointing)

He will be our guide throughout our adventure. The vehicles we will be traveling in are air-conditioned and secure so when we are at different places, he has said our belongings will be safely locked up if we don't want to bring them with us. (We had a nice, air-conditioned vehicle and I felt very safe leaving our stuff in it)

It was a great tour despite having to miss a few of the things due to time constraints and would do it again in a heartbeat! Planning a group wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. Just mention it on your roll call and tell people when you need final numbers by. I told mine I needed final numbers 2 weeks before we went. Ricardo will pick you up right at the port and you will pay him when he picks you up.

If you decide to contact him, let him know Sarah from Minnesota sent you ;)

Thanks Sarah. I will post something and see if anyone is interested. Do you recall the approximate cost and how much you tipped and who? Oh we are docking at Montego Bay. I think in December the Breeze docked at Ocho Rios. I was wondering how long the ride is from Montego Bay.

Thanks Sarah. I will post something and see if anyone is interested. Do you recall the approximate cost and how much you tipped and who? Oh we are docking at Montego Bay. I think in December the Breeze docked at Ocho Rios. I was wondering how long the ride is from Montego Bay.

Our total was $50/person and that was from Ocho Rios. Secret Falls is going to be a bit of a ride I would think from Montego Bay. How long are you scheduled to be in port for? I know that if you get ahold of Ricardo, he will be able to tell you how long of a ride it is as he is in Montego Bay.

As for tipping, we had everyone just tip him separately. I didn't want to have to deal with that at the end of the excursion. I don't even know how much we tipped, but we thought the $50 (and I know it was discounted a bit because we had a big group) was a steal compared to what we would've gotten if we would've done a ship-sponsored excursion! It included everything, from admission into the Falls to dinner at Scotches. Ricardo went and ordered it all and brought it to us. He was fantastic.

Sundayb and Rosebud1g,

Thanks

Pam

Hi Pam,

I am just seeing this now, sorry so late. Liberty does private and group tours, depending on what you arrange. We also got a group of 8 from our roll call, but not as large as Samitra below. We docked in Falmouth and it took an hour each way to get to Secret Falls. I have a TON of pictures if you want to email me I would be happy to send them to you. Just use my screen name above @ msn.com.

We did go to Scotchies for lunch after the falls. There are 2 locations from what I remember Ricardo told us. Maybe you could stop at the Montego Bay location so it's not such a long drive. There are many flat walking paths with smaller waterfalls in addition to the large waterfall. I jumped from the lower area. It's really amazing to watch the guides jump from the high cliffs.

This truly was a thrilling place and the best tour I've been on! Loved every minute of it.

Can anyone who has been to both Secret Falls and Dunn's river compare the two? Thanks a ton! Just want to make the right choice:)

I have done both. My recent trip this summer was to Secret Falls, while the Dunn's River Falls was many years ago on a Carnival excursion. I preferred Secret Falls over Dunn's, here is why. Dunn's was SO crowded with ship passengers you couldn't move! it was very dangerous and hard to climb ( I was in my 20's then), we were rushed thru, Many people got scraped up by the sharp rocks, very $$$, vendors were allowed in our bus while we waited to return back to the ship. They wouldn't take NO for an answer, so to get rid of them be purchased wooden ducks from them. We waited a long time to leave for he excursion and to go back.

Secret Falls was not crowded or touristy, since no ship tours go there. Ricardo arranged our tour around what time we wanted to go and how long we wanted to stay. We were not rushed at all. It was very peaceful and quiet there, gorgeous turquoise water, Tarzan rope swing, refreshing waterfalls, pure paradise. We all agreed this was the highlight of our cruise. Best choice we made for a memorable day.

Thanks everyone for the information we will be in port all day 8 -5 but there are also going to be 7 ships on the same day. I read 2 hour drive (one way to Dunns) So I am hoping to Secret Fall will be shorter. We don't want to spend 4 hours in a bus. Will have to post on the roll calls and see if anyone else is interested.

It's about an hour and 45 mins drive from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios / Secret Falls. I would suggest caution in planning a trip that far from the ship...

Thanks everyone for the information we will be in port all day 8 -5 but there are also going to be 7 ships on the same day. I read 2 hour drive (one way to Dunns) So I am hoping to Secret Fall will be shorter. We don't want to spend 4 hours in a bus. Will have to post on the roll calls and see if anyone else is interested.

Secret Falls is farther away from Montego Bay than Dunns. From Montego Bay you pass Falmouth, then Discovery Bay. You pass Dunns on the way to Ocho Rios. Secret Falls is on the other side of Ocho Rios...

• 1 year later...
Do they like to swim? Do they like water? There are life jackets available to put your mind at ease. They don't have to be dare devils to enjoy the Blue Hole. It's very calm, unlike an ocean with rough waves. No tide to pull them in. Lots of places to hike and walk. They are a perfect age to enjoy the falls. I saw many younger children there and different age groups of people. Our family used Liberty Tours Jamaica, and were very satisfied with the service they provided to us. Their drivers are very knowledgeable and patient. It really is an experience of a lifetime, something our family will remember for years to come.

SundayB,

I was told to inquire with you about trying to tag along with your group to the Blue Hole in Jamaica. My wife and I will be on the Independence the week of Aug 9th, 2015 and I understand your group has the best deal for this excursion. If it is possible to tag a long please let me know. Also, this is my first time using or communicating via a message board so I apologize if I'm doing this incorrectly or improper. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

AB

SundayB,

I was told to inquire with you about trying to tag along with your group to the Blue Hole in Jamaica. My wife and I will be on the Independence the week of Aug 9th, 2015 and I understand your group has the best deal for this excursion. If it is possible to tag a long please let me know. Also, this is my first time using or communicating via a message board so I apologize if I'm doing this incorrectly or improper. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

AB

Yes! you are absolutely welcome to join our group tour to The Blue Hole. There will be 5 in our group. I have done this tour before with Liberty Tours Jamaica and we are booked again for our upcoming cruise on INDY.

Have you seen the video posted above? We LOVED the Blue Hole. Can't wait to do it again!

Can I suggest you check out our ROLL CALL and say hello there?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2067868

SundayB,

AB

Yes! you are absolutely welcome to join our group tour to The Blue Hole. There will be 5 in our group. I have done this tour before with Liberty Tours Jamaica and we are booked again for our upcoming cruise on INDY.

Have you seen the video posted above? We LOVED the Blue Hole. Can't wait to do it again!

Can I suggest you check out our ROLL CALL and say hello there?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2067868

SundayB,

I re-emailed Liberty Tours with all the reservation details I had (cruise ship, arrival date, cabin#, etc) I advised them you were the group leader (SundayB) and to let me know if they need any further. I'll let you know if I hear back.

Do we pay online prior to going or do we pay when we get there? Just wondering so my wife and I can make sure our spot is reserved.

AB

AB