Australia -Cruise Insurance with Pre-existing medical condition

reedy8

Hello,

I originally asked this question on the Australian and New Zealand thread, but I know other OZ cruisers look at other threads on cruise critic, so I thought I might try here too. I've added in a few bits.

This question is predominately for Australian Cruisers (thought the destination is unimportant) as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where cruise off Perth in December, it goes out into the Indian Ocean, does a little loop then comes back to Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one (I've tried about 15 insurers) except 1 insurance company would cover me and that company wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line CMV stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody (in Australia) with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset. Think 1 in 8 women, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

My other thought is, has anyone tried an actual insurance broker for this?

Thanks

Hello,

I originally asked this question on the Australian and New Zealand thread, but I know other OZ cruisers look at other threads on cruise critic, so I thought I might try here too. I've added in a few bits.

This question is predominately for Australian Cruisers (thought the destination is unimportant) as the cruise I wanted to do was just a 3 day to no-where cruise off Perth in December, it goes out into the Indian Ocean, does a little loop then comes back to Perth.

I have a pre-exisiting medical condition no-one (I've tried about 15 insurers) except 1 insurance company would cover me and that company wanted on their normal policy $569.31 or gold policy $615.26 for a 2 day 3 night cruise that was only costing me $559 for a single cabin. The cruise line CMV stipulates cover for pre-existing.

My question is, has anybody (in Australia) with similar issues ever come across a travel insurance company that will cover for just the period of the cruise & perhaps one day after (in case of delays). My illness is not something that would have a sudden onset. Think 1 in 8 women, and you'll know what I'm talking about.

That way, the insurer would not be liable if between now and the cruise my illness got worse and I couldn't go, and I would be OK with that, its only $559 after all. I would rather be at home anyway if I was unwell.

My other thought is, has anyone tried an actual insurance broker for this?

Thanks

Hi There, I have used QBE and still do, but I take out an annual policy, so that |I don't have to go through the hoops every time I want to travel. I had to have a doctor fill in papers, send them off and wait to see what would happen. They will then add a premium to suit the problem. I have not tried short term cover. My problem is now solved so I thought it would be fine, now I have to show proof that I don't have it any more!! K

Edited by kunnocat