Travel Irons in Cabins

NYC123

... If caught, is one forced to walk the plank?

No, but you might have to travel in irons. (Sorry, couldn't pass up the straight line.)

They do have irons and boards for your use in the launderettes. I think they worry about blown circuit breakers if too many bring their own to use in the cabins. Were you planning to bring your own ironing board too?

Paul

No, but you might have to travel in irons. (Sorry, couldn't pass up the straight line.)

They do have irons and boards for your use in the launderettes. I think they worry about blown circuit breakers if too many bring their own to use in the cabins. Were you planning to bring your own ironing board too?

Paul

And blown circuit breakers, if they don't work properly, pose a fire hazard, which could potentially put the damper on a great many people's enjoyment. So for the safety and pleasure of all, they ask we leave our irons at home.

Besides, as Matthew says, Isn't that what the Butler is for?!

PS: I read elsewhere on this site that if they check your bag while onloading and find an iron in it, they will confiscate it. So best to go with the laundry room or the butler.

Can you send your clothes to be pressed as soon as you're onboard and unpacking? I just know things will be a wrinkled mess and I don't want to take away from my QM2 time to iron. :D

Thanks,

Betsy

Yep, just give them to your cabin steward when he introduces himself. I have a couple silk gowns that I send out when I get onboard. Cheaper than my dry cleaner at home and they come out beautifully.

Julia

Yep, just give them to your cabin steward when he introduces himself. I have a couple silk gowns that I send out when I get onboard. Cheaper than my dry cleaner at home and they come out beautifully.

Julia

That's great, we'll plan on doing that.

Thank you so much Julia.

Betsy

I have read that they're not allowed. Has anyone smuggled one in? If caught, is one forced to walk the plank?

If caught, they make you iron EVERY cruisers clothing!

And a couple of the older cruisers~! Some of them get pretty wrinkled too! <LOL>

Karie,

who has finally learned to appreciate her fat- It fills in the wrinkles!

what about travel kettles are they allowed ?

NO and why take them anyway when you have 24 hour comlimentary room service.

I couldn't say that I thought travel kettles were banned. We take one with us and have never had a problem. Cunard say that "non-thermostatically controlled" heating devices aren't allowed - as long as your kettle is the type that turns itself off I think that you'd be OK - Those elements that go straight into the cup aren't OK because there's nothing controlling them.

As to why take one - there's a simple answer: that last morning when there is no cabin service. You can order cold things on the penultimate day and keep them in the fridge but there's no way you can do that with a pot of tea! The only time we use the kettle is on the last morning to get some tea before breakfast.

Slightly off topic ;) but I will pose the question as a tangent to the on-board laundry service!

How much does the service cost?:confused: (On board the QM2)

Onboard the Holland America ship there was a charge per “bag” – a rather small bag – that could be stuffed with a lot of clothes for what I felt was a reasonable fee.

( I never used the HAL dry cleaning service.. but if that service is available on QM2 I would be interested to know the cost and details! )

Thanks in advance to all who reply. . .

Slightly off topic ;) but I will pose the question as a tangent to the on-board laundry service!

How much does the service cost?:confused: (On board the QM2)

Last year it was $9 to have one evening gown pressed. We had plenty of luggage space available for all the clean changes needed to avoid having to do, or have done, any laundry during our twelve days on board.

Paul

The laundry is free....there are washers and dryers scattered in laundry rooms on various decks. They also have free use of irons and ironing boards if you wish. Soap is provided, but not fabric softeners. So the service is available for those who wish to use it. We did not....the cleaning fees were so reasonable that I just used that. I gave a bunch of linen things and my husband's tux to the steward the day we boarded and it was all back the next afternoon.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

Archived