St. Petersburg Questions and advices

KQue

Hi, my name is Ilya. I didn't noticed another appropriate thread here so decided to make new one. I live in St. Pete all my life and know almost everything about our city. So if you have any questions about city sights, recommended places, history, routes, seasons, entertainment, visas, tour tickets, transport, event or may be you just need an advice - feel free to ask me, i'll do my best.

Hi, my name is Ilya. I didn't noticed another appropriate thread here so decided to make new one. I live in St. Pete all my life and know almost everything about our city. So if you have any questions about city sights, recommended places, history, routes, seasons, entertainment, visas, tour tickets, transport, event or may be you just need an advice - feel free to ask me, i'll do my best.

Hi Ilya. Thanks for your help.

We just received our Russian visas as we are headed to Moscow before our cruise this summer which visits St. Petersburg for 3 days. We will be attempting to visit St. Petersburg somewhat on our own and I wanted to see if this itinerary makes sense.

Before you ask, we are not ballet/opera people so we won't be trying to get tickets for any evening performances.

Day 1 Wednesday - Arrive port at 7am - avoid the rush of people going to meet group tours/ship tours.

We are meeting a tour guide (with a taxi) at the port at 9am and headed first to Catherine Palace. Then a taxi with the guide back into the city, a quick lunch and the guide will take us on a brief (3 hours) tour of the Hermitage. We will leave the guide around 5pm and walk down to the Faberge Museum for the 6pm opening for individuals. After that, we will have dinner somewhere near the museum (Pelmeniya and Tarhun look like good options) before a walk down Nevsky Prospekt and then taxi back to the ship for the night.

Day 2 Thursday - Either a taxi to city and then hydrofoil to Peterhof or taxi directly to Peterhof around 9am - leaning toward the latter to make it simple. Visit the lower gardens and fountains then hydrofoil back to the city around 1pm. Lunch nearby (not sure where) then go to Kunstkamera museum (it's a quirky place that my wife really wants to visit). Around 4 or 5 we would go to Church on Spilled Blood. Then dinner (PMI Bar looks like fun) followed by an evening boat tour before heading back to the ship.

Day 3 Friday - Taxi around 9am (or maybe try public transport) to Grand Choral Synagogue for the 10am opening and a quick self-guided tour. Walk to St. Isaac's for inside visit and climb the dome. Lunch (Stolle?) then walk over the bridges to Peter & Paul Fortress for a visit to the cathedral and perhaps one of the museums. If still time, visit the Political History Museum then taxi back to the ship around 4pm in plenty of time for the 6pm sailing.

Does this make sense? Is there anything major that we are missing? Any restaurant ideas other than the ones mentioned? Thanks in advance for any help.

Hi Ilya and PJS678, we are also planning to explore St petersburg on our own and have our Visas. we have also booked a hotel in town to make the most of our 2 days and would be very interested to hear your comments on the proposed itinerary from PJS. we will be in St Petersburg on 9th June and staying overnight in the PETR hotel. We plan to take the hop on hop off bus but I do know that this doesn't take us to Catherine Palace. Is there an easy way to get there on our own? Many thanks in advance.

Hi Ilya and PJS678, we are also planning to explore St petersburg on our own and have our Visas. we have also booked a hotel in town to make the most of our 2 days and would be very interested to hear your comments on the proposed itinerary from PJS. we will be in St Petersburg on 9th June and staying overnight in the PETR hotel. We plan to take the hop on hop off bus but I do know that this doesn't take us to Catherine Palace. Is there an easy way to get there on our own? Many thanks in advance.

Thought about staying in a hotel, but it didn't seem worth it when you factor how cheap cabs/uber/public transit can be to get to/from the ship. Plus places don't open until 10 anyway so not much sense in being in town at 8am without much to do. We plan to stay in town for dinner and head back to the ship when traffic dies down.

With regard to Catherine Palace, the hours for individuals are limited and the transit options are also somewhat complicated. It seemed easier to book a guided tour. I found a guide who charges by the hour and is reasonable.

Edited by pjs678
Added Catherine Palace info

Hi, guys. Thank you for your questions.

Most of ships arrive in "Morskoy Fasad". You can take a taxi from there or can take bus 158 to the Primorskaya metro station. You also can walk to the metro station but it is about 3km. Here is the route https://goo.gl/maps/23rsCPshu742

See the web-site of the port for more information - http://www.portspb.ru/en

Here you can find bus schedule - http://www.portspb.ru/en/contacts

You can take taxi using mobile application. In SPb it is Uber, Gett or Yandex taxi. And avoid noname cars because they'll charge you an exorbitant price.

Metro Primorskaya operating hours apr. 5.30 - 0.00

Now it is only one stop from Nevsky prospect, the very center of the city (because Vasileostroskaya station is closed for renovation). Metro ticket price is 35rub one-way (0,5EUR). Ticket office applies cash (only rubles), Visa, Master Card, etc. Bus ticket is 30rub, they apply only cash. So, as you can see, roundtrip will costs about 130rub for every person. Taxi to the city center starts from 500rub one-way, i suppose.

pjs678, your program is great. I'll recommend you Yusupov Palace too, but it seems to be a kind of problem to place it in your schedule. Anyway, here is a web-site http://www.yusupov-palace.ru/en

By the way, Yusupov Palace situated in few minutes walk from St. Isaac's Cath. And there are also Vodka Museum in 2 minutes walk from St. Isaac's http://vodkamuseum.su/en. There you can test some russian vodka with traditional snacks.

About other restaurants that you said. Pelmenia is a great choice, but be sure to have a reservation there. Ask your guide to call them. Because very often they are out of seats. I am constantly confronted with this problem when going there for lunch.

There are also a great value of dining options near Church on Spilled Blood. Everything depends on your budget. For example, there is Jamie's Italian restaurant by Jamie Oliver. If you are looking for cheapest place, I'll recommend you Frikadelki https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g298507-d3194195-Reviews-Frikadelki-St_Petersburg_Northwestern_District.html

Molliemill, you are right and hop on/hop off doesn't go to Catherine Palace because it is in suburb. The easiest and cheapest way to go there is the train from Vitebsky railway station (Pushkinskaya metro station, red line)

to Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin) railway station, then bus 371 or 382 or minibus (marshrutka) K-371 or K-377 or K-382, to the Catherine Palace and Park

You can find the schedule is HERE

Another way is minibus from Moskovskaya metro station

Minibus (marshrutka) K-342 or K-545 to the Catherine Palace and Park;

Or, bus 187, or minibus (marshrutka) K-286 or K-287 or K-347, to Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin) railway station, then bus 371 or 382, or minibus (marshrutka) K-371 or K-377 or K-382, to the Catherine Palace and Park

Another information here - http://eng.tzar.ru/info/transport

But I agree with pjs678 that it is much more easy to book a guide tour. Think about it. I can help you to find a responsible guide if you are looking for.

But I agree with pjs678 that it is much more easy to book a guide tour. Think about it. I can help you to find a responsible guide if you are looking for.

Since you live in St. Petersburg, it would be a violation of forum rules for you to recommend guides or tour companies on these boards.

Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended.

Please read the rules for posting found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129914

Since you live in St. Petersburg, it would be a violation of forum rules for you to recommend guides or tour companies on these boards.

Participation of Local Experts in Ports of Call

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators/guides will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended.

Please read the rules for posting found here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1129914

I've got it. Sorry for that.