Prior to boarding POA on 1/2/05

M&MCruisers

Has anyone out there spent New Year's Eve on Oahu? Understand they close the main street to revelers. What's the best place to view fireworks? Where's the best place to have a nice dinner/entertainment/dancing package and possibly see the fireworks too? Any info would be appreciated. :)

Has anyone out there spent New Year's Eve on Oahu? Understand they close the main street to revelers. What's the best place to view fireworks? Where's the best place to have a nice dinner/entertainment/dancing package and possibly see the fireworks too? Any info would be appreciated. :)

I found this Yahoo! site http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hauoli_MakaHiki_Hou/ for you to try. We are on the same cruise as you, but will have New Years Eve at home, then fly the next day to Hawaii. Email me at Jan05POA@hotmail.com if you want.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hanohano Room has changed in the last year or so - it's not entirely clear to me whether they still offer the same experience that they used to. They operate a nightclub in the restaurant now (the Cobalt Lounge) which seems to me a very different image that the Hanohano Room used to offer. Otherwise, view-wise, I would agree that it would make a good place to watch fireworks (the Hilton fireworks show). However, the best fireworks show for New Years would be the Magic Island fireworks show - and unfortunately, there aren't too many places that have views of the area while eating. The Prince Court in the Hawaii Prince hotel is one of the few I can think of but don't know if they'll be offering late dinner that night. The view from Mariposa in Nieman Marcus in Ala Moana Shopping Center might also be decent - as would the view from Bubba Gump's in the same shopping center (for a different level of elegance).

New Years tends to be crowded - reservations would be highly recommended for dinner.

Spleen

For Aloha Tower, Gordon Biersch would be pretty good or Chai's Island Bistro (no view of the harbor from Chai's though). I stilll think that the Magic Island fireworks are better than the Aloha Tower fireworks but haven't seen the Aloha Tower fireworks in a while so maybe they're better now? I'm pretty sure you can't see the fireworks from Palomino across the street.

Spleen

I'm going to recommend that you pick a place to eat separate from issues regarding the fireworks and plan on going to the beach to watch the fireworks afterwards. Usually there's a firework show off the HHV (I'm pretty sure that they do a New Years one as well) - that should be relatively easy walking from the Marriott (I would recommend walking along the beach). Kalakaua should be a fun place to hang out between dinner and midnight. Unfortunately, it's WAY too early for any of the New Years specials that are being planned to show up in the paper (probably won't show up until past Thanksgiving) - would probably be able to give you better advice when the time gets closer.

Spleen

• 1 month later...

Hi Spleen

Thanks for all your suggestions about where to see the fireworks. Your suggestion to keep the fireworks and dinner issues separate sounds good to us. We are staying at the Princess Kaiulani and was told that unless we had a room in the high rise section, to forget seeing any fireworks. We were thinking about having dinner at the Sheraton Moana Surfrider in the Banyan Veranda. Since we live in Vegas, I was able to pick up a freebie book of Oahu at Hilo Hatties in Caesar's. It has a map showing where the two hotels are located. It looks like the Surfrider is in walking distance from the PK, located just on the other side of the street on Kalakaua. What do you think? We know we must start making reservations for New Years soon. What other hotels are located near the PK (in walking distance)? Thanks for any info. you can give us.

M&MCruisers

The Surfrider is definitely walkable distance from the PK. It's only about a block or two away. Frankly, all of Waikiki is walkable distance depending on how much time you're willing to spend - it'll only take you 30-45 minutes to walk the entire length. Other hotels in the nearby area will be the Outrigger Waikiki, the Hyatt Regency Waikiki (though it's on the wrong side of Kalakaua). Slightly farther away will be the Royal Hawaiian, the Sheraton Waikiki, and the Halekulani and the Outrigger Reef. Duke's in the Outrigger Waikiki may also be a good option for dinner (somewhat casual dining)

Spleen

Hi Spleen,

Glad to hear that the Surfrider is in walking distance of the PK. We might take in their Sunset Dinner Special but will also keep Duke's in mind too. Heard Duke's was good for breakfast too. Surprised to hear that one can cover the entire length of Waikiki in 30 to 45 mins walking.....one source said the blocks were long, others said they were short. I guess it depends on the person's capability to walk. Regarding the fireworks and your mentioning the three fireworks sites, HHV, Magic Island and Aloha Tower, I am then assuming that just being on Kalakaua St, the fireworks will not be visible unless we get on the beach and look towards HHV. We will not have a rental car and just want to stay close to our hotel, especially on New Year's Eve. Have a good Thanksgiving!

The city blocks on Kalakaua are certainly not very long - at least, compared to places like NYC where blocks can seem to go on for thousands and thousands of feet! But you're right that it depends on your capability of walking - if you were taking it leisurely and stopping to look at things, it'd probably take closer to an hour to an hour and a half.

Have a great time and thanks for the good wishes for Thanksgiving!

Spleen

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Spleen,

Well the time is getting near when we will be visiting your beautiful islands. Did you happen to see any of the local newspapers listing any New Years Eve Dinner parties? I tried to contact the Star Bulletin by e mail but as yet, no answer from them.

In regards to the Honolulu airport, do you know if they have a secure baggage holding area? Our flight leaves very late at night and if we could store them somewhere, we could still do a little sightseeing. We will also ask the hotel if they offer late checkout, otherwise, checkout time is 12:00 noon and our plane leaves at 10:30 p.m. Thanks for any information you can give us.

M&MCruisers

M&M Cruisers - sorry, I totally forgot!

The Sheraton Waikiki - the 8th Annual Ho'omaka Hou 2005 (New Beginnings) - concert featuring a number of popular Hawaiian artists (the Makaha Sons, Robi Kahakalau, the Opihi Pickers, Herb Ohta Jr, and Kapena) starting at 7 pm on 12/31. Tickets start at $85/person. Call (808) 931-8383 or follow link here: http://www.sheraton-waikiki.com/pr_hoomaka.htm

The Hale Koa Hotel - Ring in 2005 with Glenn Medeiros (need military ID). Under the stars at the Luau Garden, party through midnight, an elegant dinner, champagne toast, and favors. Call (808) 955-0555 ext 546 for reservations.

3660 on the Rise (one of my favored restaurants) - New Year's Eve Dinner 2004 (5:30 - 8:30 pm) - prix fixe dinner. Amuse bouche, timbale of lobster salad, pan roasted Chilean sea bass, pan seared quail with foie gras, prosciutto wrapped stuffed filet of beef tenderloin, and duet of desserts. $80/person. (808) 737-1177 (www.3660.com)

Top of Waikiki New Year's Eve Celebration - Hawaii's only revolving restaurant - appetizers, crab cakes or Hamakua mushrooms, simple green salad, entrees of filet & scampi, tender pork loin, or island mahi-mahi papillote, and dessert (chef's special). Two seatings: 1st at 5-6 pm $60/person and the 2nd at 8:30 - 9:30 pm $85/person (includes a glass of champagne). (808) 923-3877 (not sure about this one)

Hilton Hawaiian Village - New Year's Eve with Wayne Newton. Doors open and seating from 9 pm. Show from 10 pm to 12 am. Ticket price includes the concert, party favors, half-bottle of sparkling wine, one standard cocktail, validated self-parking, taxes and gratuity. Prices range from $85 - 195. See www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com for details or call (808) 947-7877.

Those are all the big ones that I see right now. After Xmas, we'll probably see more (the paper is full of Xmas dinners/shows right now).

There is no secure baggage holding area in the airport - by order of the TSA, all baggage storage areas have been removed from all airports around the country. Most hotels will have the bell people hang onto your bags for you even after you check out so that you won't have to wander around Oahu with your luggage until your plane leaves.

HTH!

Spleen

Hi Spleen,

Thanks for the information on the big parties being planned. I will share this information with the other two couples going with us. Not sure if we will even been awake to see the New Year come in since we have a tour to Pearl Harbor, etc. booked for the 31st, pick up time is 6:30 a.m........will probably need to sneak in a nap somewhere. Only had this particular day available to book this tour.

Glad I thought to ask about the storing of luggage at the airport. We will check with the hotel to see if they can accomodate us.

If I don't hear from you before Christmas, have a Merry Christmas!

M&MCruisers

Just wanted to mention that in other years they have set off fireworks from barges up around Kuhio Beach. We were there NY's eve 2001 and it was a little unsettling to see police in riot gear, but there weren't any incidents. If any of your group happen to be members of BPOE, the Honolulu Lodge has a great dinner etc and a superb view of Waikiki and the fireworks.

Dan - good point. Forgot to mention the fireworks shows - one off of Aloha Tower, one off of Hilton Hawaiian Village. Think that they'll have the Kuhio Beach one again this year but not entirely sure. There's usually one also in Kailua/Kaneohe but don't know about this year. Suspect that the buzz about the fireworks shows will start up after Xmas.

Spleen

Archived