Unusual Asian cruise by HA

bazzaw

We are looking at a HA cruise, 28 days from Singapore to Hong Kong.

It is unusual (at least for us) in that it includes 3 overnight stopovers in 3 ports, 1 night in Port Klang (for Kuala Lumpur), 1 night in Laem Chabang (for Bangkok) and 2 nights in Rangoon/Yangon (Burma/Myanmar)

We have already been to Kuala Lumpur and did a full day trip by coach as a shore tour, same thing for Bangkok. We are aware of the long road trip into these places and also that there is very little to see/do at the ports. At this time, we know very little about Rangoon - and are especially surprised that there is a 2 night stop there.

We have had overnights in some ports before- for example, 2 nights in St Petersburg, Russia. We can definitely see the purpose for this as there is so much to see and do in SPB -- although expensive as basically some kind of 2 day tour is necessary because the port is isolated.

So - I am wondering why the cruiseline has chosen to have these stopovers in these Asian ports ie what is the purpose. It is still too early to see what shore tours will be offered - so we would hate to book the cruise, only to find that the shore tours are not very good, too expensive, etc.

Any thoughts or advice please?

Barry

We are looking at a HA cruise, 28 days from Singapore to Hong Kong.

It is unusual (at least for us) in that it includes 3 overnight stopovers in 3 ports, 1 night in Port Klang (for Kuala Lumpur), 1 night in Laem Chabang (for Bangkok) and 2 nights in Rangoon/Yangon (Burma/Myanmar)

We have already been to Kuala Lumpur and did a full day trip by coach as a shore tour, same thing for Bangkok. We are aware of the long road trip into these places and also that there is very little to see/do at the ports. At this time, we know very little about Rangoon - and are especially surprised that there is a 2 night stop there.

We have had overnights in some ports before- for example, 2 nights in St Petersburg, Russia. We can definitely see the purpose for this as there is so much to see and do in SPB -- although expensive as basically some kind of 2 day tour is necessary because the port is isolated.

So - I am wondering why the cruiseline has chosen to have these stopovers in these Asian ports ie what is the purpose. It is still too early to see what shore tours will be offered - so we would hate to book the cruise, only to find that the shore tours are not very good, too expensive, etc.

Any thoughts or advice please?

Barry

I have seen a growing trend among cruise lines to overnight for Bangkok and HAL is following suit. There is a lot to see for first time (and perhaps "one time only") visitors to Bangkok and they probably appreciate the extra time for touring and shopping.

I am not sure why they would make Port Klang an overnight. Personally, I have happy memories of working in K.L., but I have never thought of it as a very interesting city in terms of things to see and do for tourists.

For Rangoon, a double overnight will allow passengers to fly to Bagan to see the magnificent temple complex there. With 2 days, passengers have the option of flying up and back in one day to Bagan and using the second day to tour Rangoon or doing an overnight in Bagan.

I am not sure which itinerary you are viewing, but the December 22, 2014 itinerary for the Volendam has shore excursions posted on the HAL website. Bangkok is not on that itinerary, but you can see what is offered for Port Klang and Rangoon. I am assuming that shorex options for those ports on HAL will be (more or less) the same for subsequent cruises.

Best of luck with your decision and happy cruising,

Kate