Tanzanite International - opinions

Here are two links that might help you with deciding about buying Tanzanite:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1594137-1,00.html

http://tanzanitefoundation.org/endorsed_stockists

Personally, I've bought two pieces of Tanzanite with the intent of making them investment pieces.

One piece I bought in Aruba, the other stone was purchased in Key West. On both islands, I went to Diamonds International and bought polished, unset stones where each gem weighed more than 1.6 carats. I spent $1,000 on each stone. Once I was home, I had the Tanzanite appraised and was pleased to discover that my purchases were worth more than double what I paid.

Maybe what was different about my experience with buying Tanzanite is that I knew I didn't want to be paying for stone settings or additional gems that might be included with Tanzanite set in a ring or earrings. I also knew what color, cut, approximate size and how much I wanted to spend.

In any case, I'm happy with my purchases and on my next cruise I'll try to buy another unset dark blue/purple Tanzanite. I have three sons and my hope is that they will give the stones to their beloveds. My grandchildren, or more likely - great grandchildren will probably be the ones who will think about what a smart great grandmother they have!

Here are two links that might help you with deciding about buying Tanzanite:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1594137-1,00.html

http://tanzanitefoundation.org/endorsed_stockists

Personally, I've bought two pieces of Tanzanite with the intent of making them investment pieces.

One piece I bought in Aruba, the other stone was purchased in Key West. On both islands, I went to Diamonds International and bought polished, unset stones where each gem weighed more than 1.6 carats. I spent $1,000 on each stone. Once I was home, I had the Tanzanite appraised and was pleased to discover that my purchases were worth more than double what I paid.

Maybe what was different about my experience with buying Tanzanite is that I knew I didn't want to be paying for stone settings or additional gems that might be included with Tanzanite set in a ring or earrings. I also knew what color, cut, approximate size and how much I wanted to spend.

In any case, I'm happy with my purchases and on my next cruise I'll try to buy another unset dark blue/purple Tanzanite. I have three sons and my hope is that they will give the stones to their beloveds. My grandchildren, or more likely - great grandchildren will probably be the ones who will think about what a smart great grandmother they have!

I'm sorry but if you think that any jewelry item you buy at a jewelry store in the Caribbean is going to be true "investment" property then you are mistaken. The Diamonds International chain, of which Tanzanite International, Emeralds International and others are affiliated, have a very mixed reputation - just Google their name a long with words like problem, complaint or ripoff and you'll see a huge volume of issues with these retailers. Note that I call them retailers as that is what they are. Retailers buy things at wholesale, and sell them at a mark-up. That is how they make a profit. Mark-ups on jewelry are huge, usually well over 100% even when the items are offered at half off. The dealers like Diamonds International never sell at true wholesale prices - they BUY at wholesale prices and SELL at retail prices. The bottom line is that it will take many years for the value of your stones to appreciate to the point where their wholesale price, what you could expect to sell them at, appreciates past the retail price you paid for the items - if it ever does.

People should only buy items from jewelry stores if they think they have value as jewelry to be worn and looked at.

The problem with your jewelry appraisal is that it is a retail jewelry appraisal. It attempts to appraise the full retail price of the jewelry which is generally far in excess of what 99% of all jewelry retailers will sell it for. That is why all jewelers always can state with confidence that their items will appraise for more than what they are selling it to you.

Let me give you an example: A few years ago I bought a nice quality diamond to replace one that was lost from my wife's wedding ring. I needed an appraiser from a certified jewelry appraiser for insurance purposes and the jeweler I bought it from was a certified appraiser - as many are. The appraisal they gave me was for a much larger amount than my cost of the diamond I was purchasing from them. Now jewelry insurance riders to a homeowners policy are priced based on the appraised value of the jewelry so I had no interest in having an item over appraised. Also, if you ever loose something they'll only pay the current replacement cost and not the appraised value. So all I wanted the item appraised at was what I was paying for it so I asked the jeweler to appraise it at the purchase price since that was clearly the current retail value. The jeweler said the appraisal rules that a certified appraiser must follow have to be based on current appraisal guides and that they are always higher than the selling price of the items so that the rules he must follow do not allow him to issue such an appraisal at his selling prices.

It is apparent to me that the appraisal system is designed that way so no one ever thinks they were over charged. It seems the only part of the appraisal that is truly real is the appraiser's description of the article and that the only real significance of an appraisal value is what one item appraises for relative to another.

Edited by Lsimon

I believe it is becoming more common for Tanzanite to be heat treated in order to enhance the colour and increase the asking price, Similar thing happens with Emeralds when the colour is enhanced by oils and heat.

Sandy in Spain

Many of the stones today are either treated or lab created.

On my last cruise I went to the "shopping" talk on board. I was hoping to find out if there were any native crafts I should be looking for in port. It was almost all where you should go to buy your jewelry. It was a husband/wife team and their sales pitch was over the top. I walked out before they were done. What really displeased me was that the map of the port we were given by the ship had not much more than where the recommended stores were located. I wanted a map that I could actually use to find my way around the port.

As I was wandering around one of the ports I did find a tanzanite ring I liked. I wasn't feeling very well that day so I did not feel like bargaining and walked away. When I got home I found a similar ring which I liked as much for $120 less.

...On my last cruise I went to the "shopping" talk on board. I was hoping to find out if there were any native crafts I should be looking for in port. It was almost all where you should go to buy your jewelry. It was a husband/wife team and their sales pitch was over the top. I walked out before they were done. What really displeased me was that the map of the port we were given by the ship had not much more than where the recommended stores were located. I wanted a map that I could actually use to find my way around the port...

The shopping consultant who gives the port talks on board is actually an employee of the company that runs the ship's port marketing program. This operation's sole purpose is to sell advertising to port merchants. Those that pay the appropriate fee get included in the port shopping guides, listed as "recommend" by the cruise line, included in the port talks on board and also get referrals by the personal shopping consultant who will go so far as to take customers to the ship and help the staff there to close the sale. I don't know if these shopping consultants get actual commissions but I believe the program itself does.

Likewise, the only way to get on the "recommend" store list or port maps is to pay the fees. The recommendation has nothing to do with quality or customer service. It is simply paid advertising.

Personally, I think this practice is deceptive and it, together with the equally deceptive auctions on board, are a black mark against the cruise industry. I think it is horrible that they allow this deceptive marking on board in order to sell advertising. I have no problems with them selling advertising but I do have an issue with them presenting the merchants as "recommended stores" and not as advertisers.

Have Never purchased Gems, However just came off a big trip which included a cruise. I went to purchase a Brietling watch and went into the International chain in both Jamaica and Mexico, which were both the same price (after haggling). I was hesitant to buy high priced items from such countries However really wanted the watch and passed to buy within the US.

From the cruise we went to Vegas, DC and New York where I checked 6 different stores all of which were $800 more + Tax. I ended up purchasing my watch in NYC for $800 more and shipped it to avoid taxes. I am not upset as I purchased my watch from the boutique on 5th avenue and will always remember that and are 100% guaranteed it is legit.

The only point being is they were allot cheaper on this particular item than the mainland stores. However this is a very transparent item and will always be the same in any store, gems obviously vary allot more (the 4 c's).

So have not had a bad or good experience with an actual purchase but can validate their watch prices are good. (not sure on warranties etc tho)

I'm honestly surprised to hear this many negative stories. My fiancé and I wandered in to a DI in Belize last year. We looked at some rings, just for fun, and I fell in love with a wedding band. We left, had some drinks, and decided on a drunken impulse buy (lol) to go back and get it. We spent $720 and had it appraised at home (from a reputable jeweler that we've done business with before) for over $4,000. We were shocked! Honestly didn't care what the value was (as long as we hadn't been totally ripped off) because I just loved the ring. Now I know that it's for insurance purposes and isn't the typical resale value, but I still think we did pretty dang good.

• 2 weeks later...

I am extremely disillusioned with the Tanzanite International products. Last year I decided that I must buy a ring. I found a really pretty tanzanite ring in Key West. It was sterling silver and shaped like a flower. The ring was 125.00 not even to pricy. However, the ring was purchased in August and when I wore the ring for the third time in October I noticed a stone had fallen out and then another fell out when I was examing the stones....crazy. I called the TI place...they only guarantee their products for 30 days...so you are out of luck. Upon more research on the web many people have been sold smaller stones than they paid for etc....I found the same ring I purchased on sale at Amazon for 39 dollars. I cant wait for this years cruise. I will be sure to attend the Tanzanite talk and have alot to say on the matter.

• 3 weeks later...

We have bought several pieces over the last 4 years and have had them appraised for insurance and we have never had a piece that didn't appraise for more then we paid for it I never told the appraiser what we paid until after he was done. I love my pieces

• 1 year later...
OK so I love tanzanite. It's beautiful. Anyone know if the so-called "deals" at Tanzanite International (or the Diamonds Intl.) are any good, and is it a rip-off, or can I honestly get something nice?

I'd like to if it's worth it. I've been in those stores on the islands dozens of times, talked to them, listened to the sales pitches. But I'm not stupid, I just wondered if anyone had any real experience. You know, with actually purchasing something and getting an appraisal at their trusted jeweler back home, etc.

Sailing on Equinox again on 3/11 and just might do some shopping.....

I purchased tanzanite in Alaska and brought it home to my local jeweler. She appraised it considerably higher than I paid so I was quite satisfied. If you like it and can afford it look into it. As with any purchase, check ito ut before you buy it.

• 2 months later...

I was looking at some Diversa/Day-To-Night earrings on the ship and in port. For those unaware, its a center stone surrounded by a smaller square of individual diamonds that drops down to go from gorgeous studs to chandelier earrings. On the ship the 'deal' they wanted to give me was $1,700. Two days after I got home I went to my local jeweler's, Jared's, and purchased an exquisite set for $1,100. Suffice to say I think DInternational is overpriced and an easy way to get cruisers to spend money on what maybe quality material but certainly not affordable pricing. Also if anything goes wrong with your jewelry, you want it cleaned, you want it reset - who do you go to?

I was looking at some Diversa/Day-To-Night earrings on the ship and in port. For those unaware, its a center stone surrounded by a smaller square of individual diamonds that drops down to go from gorgeous studs to chandelier earrings. On the ship the 'deal' they wanted to give me was $1,700. Two days after I got home I went to my local jeweler's, Jared's, and purchased an exquisite set for $1,100. Suffice to say I think DInternational is overpriced and an easy way to get cruisers to spend money on what maybe quality material but certainly not affordable pricing. Also if anything goes wrong with your jewelry, you want it cleaned, you want it reset - who do you go to?

My recent experience wasn't pretty nice at all. I haven't had a chance to get an appraisal but when they can drop a price from $18,000 to $12,000 it makes you wonder. PLEASE check out the small print on the back of the paper you are signing! When you walk out that door it's yours and you can't return it and get your money back under any circumstances! They will fix any problems but won't take it back! Talked with an attorney and DI still stood their ground. After 2 1/2 months. Normally if you take something back to a store when it is broken you can get your money back - NOT DI!

Once you walk out that door those sweet sales people turn into something else. I now have a large store credit to spend at a store where I don'want to go into. I Refuse to buy from them on line. On our next cruise I will be going into the first DI I find, picking out my jewelry and not showing them my credit until I am ready to pay. I will then walk out and never do business with them again.

When I get home I will be taking it to my local jeweler for appraisal. In addition I will go to my jeweler for any problems. I would rather pay for any problems myself than to deal with DI! Just BE CAREFUL about your deal before you walk out of the store.!!!!!

Edited by pl3341

I agree that Tanzanite International and Diamonds International same difference are not the best deal. It is hard to not get blinded with the glitz. I purchased a tanzanite ring that was not real dark blue but I liked the style. I was told I could trade it up at anytime. A year later when we returned, I brought the ring to trade and was told they never do that. I was very mad and they gave me a bargain Ha Ha on another nice dark Tanzanite ring. They are always in Silver settings not white gold or platinum that should be a clue. When I got back on the ship I was mad at myself for buying into the hype again. I always find things in the shops onboard that are a better deal after the fact. Maybe I have learned my lesson. Check out my travel blog www.atouristlife.com

I can't imagine that the cruise lines don't get a cut of overall sales or at least a reduction in port fees for pushing the overpriced products on customers.

Does each ship have a different DInternational representative/chief hawker on the ship? Independence of the Seas is Paige and I'll admit - she's really good at her job.

I can't imagine that the cruise lines don't get a cut of overall sales or at least a reduction in port fees for pushing the overpriced products on customers.

Does each ship have a different DInternational representative/chief hawker on the ship? Independence of the Seas is Paige and I'll admit - she's really good at her job.

Each ship has their own. As for RC being a help - I was told I must register my purchase in case there was a problem. I did and when I had my problem with DI all RC said was they couldn't help me unless there was a flaw. Well duh .... that was the battle I was having with DI.

I n the future I will shop with the little guys and at least have some fun rather than having these jewels dangled in front of me, even put on my neck, and pressuring me. Live and learn

Take a look at my post #55 above which describes what I know of the marketing program. The cruise lines get advertising fees and commissions from the merchants who elect to be part of their "recommended" marketing program. I'm sure D.I. pays more than average for their huge exposure.

Edited by Lsimon

The shopping consultant who gives the port talks on board is actually an employee of the company that runs the ship's port marketing program. This operation's sole purpose is to sell advertising to port merchants. Those that pay the appropriate fee get included in the port shopping guides, listed as "recommend" by the cruise line, included in the port talks on board and also get referrals by the personal shopping consultant who will go so far as to take customers to the ship and help the staff there to close the sale. I don't know if these shopping consultants get actual commissions but I believe the program itself does.

Likewise, the only way to get on the "recommend" store list or port maps is to pay the fees. The recommendation has nothing to do with quality or customer service. It is simply paid advertising.

Personally, I think this practice is deceptive and it, together with the equally deceptive auctions on board, are a black mark against the cruise industry. I think it is horrible that they allow this deceptive marking on board in order to sell advertising. I have no problems with them selling advertising but I do have an issue with them presenting the merchants as "recommended stores" and not as advertisers.

My #463. I have such bad taste in my mouth for even saying the words Diamonds International. I have to spend the store credit in order to recoup my money - otherwise I would not go near the place. I will also not be going near the person on board that promotes these stores. You are right - the "talks" are about jewelry, almost singularly from Diamonds International, and tanzanite. When I thought about my trip after I got home I spent my shore time in the store! Won't be happening this time. As I said previously - READ THE FINE PRINT AND RESIST THE SALES GIMMICKS!

Each ship has their own. As for RC being a help - I was told I must register my purchase in case there was a problem. I did and when I had my problem with DI all RC said was they couldn't help me unless there was a flaw. Well duh .... that was the battle I was having with DI.

I n the future I will shop with the little guys and at least have some fun rather than having these jewels dangled in front of me, even put on my neck, and pressuring me. Live and learn

be careful with this, as well. we bought 'tanzanite' but it was fake. I didn't actually care, as I liked the set, and the price, so I was fine.

I DO collect the free earrings and charms from TI and DI. :D And any punch/cookies offered. Beware though, the charms turn brown very quickly, we use them for piriate night!

Dh buys my/kid's diamonds from ebay and has always found a better price. IDK if my diamonds are 'used'.

• 1 year later...

Just returned from a cruise with Princess. I purchased a Philip Stein watch from Tanzanite International in Puerto Valarta. I paid 128.00 more for the watch than what I would have from Amazon. Cruise shopping advisor promoted the watch as a good deal. Be careful and compare before purchasing. I didn't have internet access when I made the purchase at the time I bought this item.