Tanzanite International - opinions

When on vacation there is something that compels one to buy especially in the Caribbean.

Last month in St Martin I purchased a Nikon D90 for what I thought was a good price.

At Best Buy they have the same camera with lenses for $300 less than what I paid.

And you have to sweat going through US Customs to add insult.

Most of the jewelry is purchased in NYC so with the markups it is probably more in most ports. For now on I am buying everything in the USA.

We went to one of the port talks on our recent cruise because we wanted to learn about excursions and sights not to miss. Silly us. It was a shopping ad. But one line cracked me up. The ship's "advisor" was touting the advantages of purchasing fine jewelry in cruise ports. Why? she asked. "Because of the selection!" she answered. She said that we would find pieces that were simply not to be found anywhere else.

I turned to my husband and asked if he thought she had heard of this new invention called the internet....:cool:

About 6 years ago we went to Tanzanite International and purchased a ring, a necklace, and a pair of earrings. When I got back home I had the items appraised --- appraisal came in about $100 more than we paid. My jeweler told me he could have matched the price had we told him ahead of time what we were interested in. Always pays to check locally before buying on vacation. The jewelery settings were the main attraction for us as we had not seen anything like it locally. Fortunately, we came out ahead --- other stories I have read were not as fortunate.

We experienced the same with our local jeweler. On most stuff it was not any real savings. He could not appraise the alexandrite we bought because he is not a certified gemologist so I had to find one.

Made a appointment with one and was told by him that he could tell many stories of how people do not get the bargains that they were told on cruises. Most times they would have been better off buying from their local jeweler. He pulled out copies of their guarantee and showed where it did not guarantee anything except basically a commission for the "expert seller" and that it is what it is supposed to be. Nothing about being a bargain or the best price. He did say that our alexandrite was worth what we paid and to accept it as a remembrance of a nice vacation. It was not the big deal as it was made out to be.

If you are interested in something check with your local jeweler for prices so you have something to compare to.

OK so I love tanzanite. It's beautiful. Anyone know if the so-called "deals" at Tanzanite International (or the Diamonds Intl.) are any good, and is it a rip-off, or can I honestly get something nice?

I'd like to if it's worth it. I've been in those stores on the islands dozens of times, talked to them, listened to the sales pitches. But I'm not stupid, I just wondered if anyone had any real experience. You know, with actually purchasing something and getting an appraisal at their trusted jeweler back home, etc.

Sailing on Equinox again on 3/11 and just might do some shopping.....

These stores are grossly over priced. you can buy tanzanite on jtv.com better quality for about 1/3 the price

...And you have to sweat going through US Customs to add insult....

There is no issue going through customs...

...unless of course you've decided to break the law and risk smuggling the item in to save a few dollars on duty while bearing the risk of serious fines and other punishment.

Edited by Lsimon

OK so I love tanzanite. It's beautiful. Anyone know if the so-called "deals" at Tanzanite International (or the Diamonds Intl.) are any good, and is it a rip-off, or can I honestly get something nice?

I'd like to if it's worth it. I've been in those stores on the islands dozens of times, talked to them, listened to the sales pitches. But I'm not stupid, I just wondered if anyone had any real experience. You know, with actually purchasing something and getting an appraisal at their trusted jeweler back home, etc.

Sailing on Equinox again on 3/11 and just might do some shopping.....

Hi i brought a large 17.98 Tanzanite last summer here i paid a lot of money i got apprasial back it was 3 times what i paid i was worried to but my jeweller said i did good i am going to set it in a pendant surrounded by diamonds its to big for a ring i have a 5 carat ring with diamonds do you have any Tanzanite it is a delicate stone not to wear every day.

Hi i brought a large 17.98 Tanzanite last summer here i paid a lot of money i got apprasial back it was 3 times what i paid i was worried to but my jeweller said i did good i am going to set it in a pendant surrounded by diamonds its to big for a ring i have a 5 carat ring with diamonds do you have any Tanzanite it is a delicate stone not to wear every day.

Congratulations, you are one of the very few success stories that I have heard about. Hopefully, the gemologist who did your appraisal back home is familiar with colored stones (not all are) and gave you the right value for your Tanzanite.

Congratulations, you are one of the very few success stories that I have heard about. Hopefully, the gemologist who did your appraisal back home is familiar with colored stones (not all are) and gave you the right value for your Tanzanite.

Seems to be a little fishy and a shill to me. First post, name of poster, and the wording.

It is a softer stone compared to a diamond so it may scratch but it wont crack as easy as harder stone.

Google tanzanite and you will learn a lot.

We were in St. Martin three or four years ago with some friends of ours. We went into one of the jewlery stores right in that pier area. Not sure of which store, but it was one of those listed in the cruise ships flyers. My husbands friend was looking for a high end watch, can't recall the name. He knew his price as he had checked back in the States before he left. Prices were the same if not higher he said.

Funny thing was that while he was looking at the watches, us girls were just casually looking through the cases at some of the jewelry when one of the salesmen approached us and commented on my diamond/sapphire ring that my husband had purchased for me from a reputable jeweler back home for our 5th anniversary. I always get comments from people on the ring as it is a very pretty sapphire blue. But, what got me was he asked to see my hand and the ring on my finger and then proceeded to say to me, what a lovely tanzanite ring!!! I politely corrected him and said it was a sapphire. He appeared shocked. What I was thinking was "Buddy, Your a jeweler?? If you can't tell the difference between a sapphire and tanzanite, do you really think i would ever buy jewelry from you???"

We all were laughing about it on the way back to the ship. Like everyone says, educate yourself before you go so you know your prices and what you are looking for. You don't want to be taken, especially on such an expensive purchase.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. A high quality tanzanite can be very close in colour to a sapphire. Scroll down to the middle of this page and tell me if you can tell the difference?

http://www.squidoo.com/tanzanites

Seems to be a little fishy and a shill to me. First post, name of poster, and the wording.

It is a softer stone compared to a diamond so it may scratch but it wont crack as easy as harder stone. Really? I had read *somewhere* that tanzanite is prone to cracking in cold weather.

I will go to google, cause I remember being put off by the softness of tanzanite. I am very hard on my jewelry.:o

I am always apprehensive. I bought a tennis bracelet years and years ago at a jewelry store on the pier in St. Thomas took it home and had my jeweler appraise it. He said I got a great deal.

This store also has a great warranty policy even if you don't go back to St.Thomas they will handle problems I have caused.

Over the years I have bought many things from them and always pay 36 % of the asking price after bartering. They have always stood by their product told me to call if I have any problem.

When I get back to St. Thomas I always bring what I purchased from them in to be cleaned and checked. I had scratched a stone on a ring and they said they would polish it out, but when they returned it told me they just went ahead and changed the stone.

Another time I was trading my tennis bracelet in and told them I had caught it at the grocery store and sent diamonds all over the place. The owners wife went into a fit saying, "I told you call us we will give you are shipping info and fix it" I told her our insurance company had fixed it but she was still insistent that they would have been happy to do it.

As I stated to start with I am apprehensive with not buying from the ships recommended store. I would start inexpensively and have something checked out before going big.

I will go to google, cause I remember being put off by the softness of tanzanite. I am very hard on my jewelry.:o

If it suits your style, try a bezel setting. I find they protect the stone better and are flatter on your finger thus less chance of snags.

I have never bought any diamond jewlery from DI or TI while on a cruise...but I have bought some black coral while in St Thomas and I love it! My husband and I heard about the black Coral while on our first cruise, so on our second he surprised me by buying a necklace with coral and a small diamond..then for our third cruise he bought me the matching braclet. I am very happy with those pieces because they are different from anything I can find here..and I had them appraised for insurance purposes and they came at the same price as what I paid...that made me feel good. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there...I think getting something that is unique is good...don't think I would buy anything else there though except the black coral. I always say, if its too good to be true it probably is! :o

It is a softer stone compared to a diamond so it may scratch but it wont crack as easy as harder stone.

Tanzanite is my favorite gem i got one 16 yrs ago when my son was born didnt know what it was but liked it as purple my favorite color yes to the poster that said maybe appraissal wrong i plan to take it to another one to be sure i spent a lot of time worring weather id over paid but i know nothing i can do if i did it is beautiful very pretty deep purple what is a shrill? i have not posted only once because im not on here much even though i joined a while ago.Also Tanzanite does crack if in heat or cold also scratches easy thats why i will put it in a pendant.I will not buy again such an expensive item i also brought pink sapphires hard to find in us but paid a lot less for them so if they dont appraisse so well doesnt matter i know jewellry is overpriced because even when they discount its still big markup.My husband was furious at me for buying it was an impulse buy i saw it i liked it think twice next time. i will probably buy usa as i do know a few jewellers but whatever you pay they still make a profit.

• 1 year later...

I bought an alexandrite pendant at Tanzanite Int'l in Cozumel last September. It's a small pendant, but it's very pretty, and it was only $800 after a bit of haggling. I really like it and will be wearing it for years to come - I decided that I don't want to have it appraised in the US, I'll sleep better not knowing :D

We are on vacation to have a good time. I enjoy buying my wife a pretty piece because she likes it and it is a remembrance of our good time. Once we have bought it, it would be a downer to analyze the purchase. We mostly just want to have fun!

I bought an alexandrite pendant at Tanzanite Int'l in Cozumel last September. It's a small pendant, but it's very pretty, and it was only $800 after a bit of haggling. I really like it and will be wearing it for years to come - I decided that I don't want to have it appraised in the US, I'll sleep better not knowing :D

As long as you like it, that's all that matters.

I purchased an Alexandrite and diamond pendant that has a 1/3 carat Alexandrite and 1/4 carats of diamonds and paid over $3K----a gift from my mom for my 50th birthday. Sounds like you got a great deal, knowing that Alexandrites can go for as much as $4K and up for a carat depending on the color change.

Aren't they the coolest stones? Mine changes color from green to aqua to purple and in the right light it looks red. Love it.

I have never bought any diamond jewlery from DI or TI while on a cruise...but I have bought some black coral while in St Thomas and I love it! My husband and I heard about the black Coral while on our first cruise, so on our second he surprised me by buying a necklace with coral and a small diamond..then for our third cruise he bought me the matching braclet. I am very happy with those pieces because they are different from anything I can find here..and I had them appraised for insurance purposes and they came at the same price as what I paid...that made me feel good. Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there...I think getting something that is unique is good...don't think I would buy anything else there though except the black coral. I always say, if its too good to be true it probably is! :o

I assume you are talking about Bernard Passman in St. Thomas? If so, I agree that his items are beautiful and truly unique. They also have excellent customer service. We had been to their store in Ketchikan, Alaska a couple of years ago and although we didn;t buy then we went to the St. Thomas location this past March and purchased a very cool pendant of black coral and yellow gold.

Just need to be very careful if buying black coral. Much of it is illegal to buy and sell, and cannot be brought into the US. A number of stores in St. Thomas and other islands have paid hefty fines for trading in illegal black coral. There are apparently some pieces that are designated legal for sale and purchase, but with all I have read about it I am not comfortable buying it outside the US. Not meaning to say those mentioned on this thread or those particular stores were not on the up and up, just that many stores are not following the law and you would not want to get stopped in Customs with a gem you thought was legal but was really not. Buyer beware.

We are on vacation to have a good time. I enjoy buying my wife a pretty piece because she likes it and it is a remembrance of our good time. Once we have bought it, it would be a downer to analyze the purchase. We mostly just want to have fun!

I agree 100%. We have bought a few moderately priced pieces while on cruises, primarily because I absolutely love the color, and my DH wants me to have a beautiful remembrance of our cruises. I would not go to the Caribbean hoping for a bargain as I don't think they are to be found anymore (with the possible exception that you may be saving quite a bit on taxes). If you are looking for a remembrance, shop around (including non-cruiseline recommended stores) and get the piece that calls your name if the price seems comparable to others. Then just enjoy. Why get it appraised and risk frustration? (unless it is very pricey, then I guess for insurance reasons you must). Are you really buying it as an investment, or are you buying it because it is beautiful, you love it, and wearing it brings back all the good memories of your voyage? For me it's definitely the latter.

Stay away from these gonniffs! They are overpriced, high-pressure mills whose merchandise can be of questionable quality.

Avoid them like the plague!

BBM

Totally agree with everything you had to say--and LOVE your choice of words! It's been many a year--and many a mile--since I heard the word "gonniff." Brings back fond memories of growing up on the north Jersey coast (Allenhurst).....

HAPPY CRUISING!!