King's Court on QM2

I want to second the thread starter. In a wonderful ship the King´s Court is the only true weak point that immediately comes to my mind. I would be very glad if some major changes could be made, to its messy layout as well as to the tacky and confused decoration with artwork of low standard which is so contrary to the rest of the ship.

The captain has raised an excellent question. And while we wait to hear from Mr Payne, this posting from cruise.co.uk may give us a glimpse into what part of his answer will be:

"I was able to speak to designer, Stephen Payne about [King's Court] at a Lecture. Apparently the QM2, being a ‘real’ Ocean Liner designed for the rigours of the North Atlantic, was built primarily from a ‘strength’ (Hull and Superstructure) perspective. The public spaces and accommodation had to fit within this constraint. Other big cruise ships are often designed with a public room and accommodation priority and the hull is wrapped around them.

The QM2 has a very strong ‘back-bone’ as Payne put it. This has made ‘Kings Court’ relatively long and slender. There was no option for a wide cavernous buffet area, like on many other big ships, as this would compromise the ships strength."

[quote name='Thaxted']"Apparently the QM2, being a ‘real’ Ocean Liner designed for the rigours of the North Atlantic, was built primarily from a ‘strength’ (Hull and Superstructure) perspective. The public spaces and accommodation had to fit within this constraint. Other big cruise ships are often designed with a public room and accommodation priority and the hull is wrapped around them.

The QM2 has a very strong ‘back-bone’ as Payne put it. This has made ‘Kings Court’ relatively long and slender. There was no option for a wide cavernous buffet area, like on many other big ships, as this would compromise the ships strength."[/QUOTE]

Valid point. However, it has certainly nothing to do with 'the tacky and confused decoration with artwork of low standard which is so contrary to the rest of the ship', to quote QM1 above.

Personally I even like King's Court layout as a welcome variation to the cavernous casual restaurants of other cruise ships, and do not find it difficult to get used to. But I'm curious, is there really a reason for this kind of decoration on an otherwise magnificent ship?

[quote name='RobertGraves']Valid point. However, it has certainly nothing to do with 'the tacky and confused decoration with artwork of low standard which is so contrary to the rest of the ship', to quote QM1 above.

Personally I even like King's Court layout as a welcome variation to the cavernous casual restaurants of other cruise ships, and do not find it difficult to get used to. But I'm curious, is there really a reason for this kind of decoration on an otherwise magnificent ship?[/QUOTE]

I agree with you about the decor, although I wonder whether Stephen Payne had anything to do with it.

[quote name='Thaxted']I agree with you about the decor, although I wonder whether Stephen Payne had anything to do with it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is unlikely that he was involved at all (apart from some counseling, perhaps?). However QM1 expressed vividly my thoughts, too, so I could not resist. Maybe Mr Payne would like to comment on this one, too. After all, it has to do with the final delivery of his mental child.

Meanwhile Cunard has shown in QV and QE that they can design tasteful Lidos, so some upgrade in King's Court decor would undoubtedly yield welcomed results.

As for layout, the innovative idea of separate, more intimate spaces (that could be easily transformed to four different restaurants at night), instead of a vast, amorphous one, was certainly ingenious. It's a pity that it did not find favour with people using King's Court. It will be interesting to see if Stephen Payne has something particular to suggest.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Capnpugwash,

As mentioned elsewhere, ship design is a compromise between many conflicting factors. I chose the location of Kings Court on deck 7. This was influenced by the requirement to have a high tween deck height at this level in order to accommodate the lifeboats and their associated davit arrangements so as to allow the cabin deck above to have at least partially, rather than fully, obstructed views. As to the layout of the Kings Court, this was arranged by Cunard. The biggest complication, compared with placing the lido restaurant high in the ship, is that the cross passages from "B" and "C" staircases must be kept free to allow egress to the deck and the lifeboats. I have heard as many positive comments about the layout as I have negative and I think it is just a matter of personal preference. What the arrangement does provide is a novel way of sectioning parts off for the evening meal service.

Thank you for your question.

Stephen

[quote name='Stephen M. Payne']Dear Capnpugwash,

As mentioned elsewhere, ship design is a compromise between many conflicting factors. I chose the location of Kings Court on deck 7. This was influenced by the requirement to have a high tween deck height at this level in order to accommodate the lifeboats and their associated davit arrangements so as to allow the cabin deck above to have at least partially, rather than fully, obstructed views. As to the layout of the Kings Court, this was arranged by Cunard. The biggest complication, compared with placing the lido restaurant high in the ship, is that the cross passages from "B" and "C" staircases must be kept free to allow egress to the deck and the lifeboats. I have heard as many positive comments about the layout as I have negative and I think it is just a matter of personal preference. What the arrangement does provide is a novel way of sectioning parts off for the evening meal service.

Thank you for your question.

Stephen[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I feel that the positioning of the King's Court is good and I realise the constraints that the crossways give. I find it hard to understand positive comments being given about the layout. As they say, "there's nowt so queer as folk". :)

Archived