Cruising over Christmas

KLG

We'll be on the Navigator on Christmas Day and wondered what to expect. It appears that our ship will spend the day at the beach at Roatan Island, and then we have a formal night for dinner. Our only other Christmas cruise was on Princess, back in the days before alternative restaurants--that is, we had a fixed table and knew exactly when and with whom we'd be dining. Is this the night to book the alternative restaurant, or the night to head to the main dining room?

Also, since it's Christmas, should we think in terms of some small gift for our cabin attendants and other cruise personnel? We have a vacation but they have to work just like any other day!

Any thoughts?

Well I haven't been on Navigator yet, but I will be the week before you! I would imagine that you would want to be in the main dining room for Christmas dinner and formal night, I'm betting they will do an amazing spread. This is just a guess, since Portofino is small and casual (as I understand it). Unless you don't like all the hype and want to escape.

On the recent crossing Portofino's was closed on both formal nights. I was really disappointed as I love their peppy preparation of lobster and don't care for the bland, gummy lobster in the main dining room. I guess I'm a minority. Anyway, they may handle the holidays differently....a full ship will create more demand for the alternative dining room.

JoAnne B

we were on Navigator for Christmas cruise in 2002. I recommend you do main dining room for Christmas Eve and Day. We thought we were booking something "more intimate" for Christmas Eve by going to Portofino, only to find out that Compass rose had put on a traditional Christmas eve fayre and music. Portofino did not have an xmas theme.

Also the Navigator staff put on a very touching xmas eve show after dinner, with the different nationalities sharing how they celebrated xmas - including the Scandinavian staff in 'angelic' robes and crowns of candles. It was very memorable, not cheesy.

mostly couples. Only a few kids, maybe less than 20 - and seemed to be with multigenerational family groups. A few infants with parents. It was nice to see the kids dressed up for Christmas dinners.

Didnt notice the children much - the cruise was pretty port intensive.

Cabo, PV, Mazatlan, La Paz, San Diego etc. Zip lining in Puerto Vallarta was an exhilarating yet very safe experience. Snorkeling with wild sea lions in La Paz in a very remote nature reserve was incredible too.

We have been on the Marnier and Navigator over Christmas and have received a gift when we arrive at the house- delivered by ups.

It should be displayed in the purser's desk area. They play music and have flags around the different ships in the line.

Jan

Archived