Help with Binoculars?!

Hello all,

Hope this is the right forum for this question. We are looking for a decent pair of compact binoculars for our upcoming cruise to Hawaii this Oct/Nov. There are so many choose from, with such a huge price range!

We don't want to spend too much, but we don't want the cheapest ones either. We're looking for something to view birds, stuff at Volcanoes Nat'l Park, Napali coastline from the ship and hopefully whales!

Any tips or suggestions for compact binoculars that work for you?

Thank you in advance! :rolleyes:

Edited by kjcombs89

Ask a Question would probably be better, but since I've been looking at the same topic, I'll share some links! :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073850&highlight=binocular+recommendations

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1980259&highlight=binocular+recommendations This doesn't get to the point until about post #20.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1938031&highlight=binocular+recommendations

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1898072&highlight=binocular+recommendations

If you still need more, go to the search window and put "binocular recommendation". If you don't use the quotes, you'll get everything that mentions binoculars and recommendation. Good luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd started a thread about this that you might want to check out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...php?p=43661906

But the first thing you should be aware of is that your budget will dictate lots of things that you decide.

Because good binoculars can literally last you decades, I strongly recommend that you set your budget between $200-$400 but you can also get some really good budget full-sized (but still small) binoculars for $130. I have these and can recommend them highly for those on a really tight budget.

I'm happy to answer any questions. But if you want compact (I recommend these for about $120.

I'd started a thread about this that you might want to check out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...php?p=43661906

I'm happy to answer any questions. But if you want compact (I recommend these for about $120.

Thank you so much!! I've been looking in the "under $100" range, and have been considering these: Bushnell

I don't know what the difference is...is it the roof vs. porro prism?

Thanks again for your help and for posting the link to your other thread. Very helpful. :)

Thank you so much!! I've been looking in the "under $100" range, and have been considering these: Bushnell

I don't know what the difference is...is it the roof vs. porro prism?

Thanks again for your help and for posting the link to your other thread. Very helpful. :)

Hi kjcombs89.

I've uploaded two pictures that show you the differences. You can see that they look different in that the Roof prisms (on the left) are all in line--your eyes look directly through the straight barrel.

The Porros on the right have the bulkier construction that shows how the internal prisms move the light to your eyes. These will generally be heavier and brighter and not as waterproof as their Roof cousins.

Inexpensive Roofs like the Bushnell H2O's that you are looking for will have some compromises--they will not take a drop/bang/hit as well as their more expensive versions because they are not as well constructed. So if you are rough on them, they won't last.

These particular ones have a very far close focus on them (18 feet for the 8x42s and 12 for the 10 x 42s) so you cannot focus down on anything under 18 or 12 feet respectively. If I had to select one, I would recommend the 8X versions because they'd be brighter (notice the Exit Pupil is 5.25 mm vs 4.2 on the 10X) and have a wider field of view. They have good eye relief (important if you wear glasses or have deep-set eyes.)

Just remember: your budget will determine how long these will last, what quality and features they will have/not have.

If you could stretch your budget to $130 you'd have a much better set of binoculars with better optics much closer focus and a very bright image.

Whatever you are most comfortable with in the end is the important thing. ;)

1258334573_BushnellLegendHD10x36.jpg.be5cb825baa09a196c897e348a2ef4e9.jpg

Swift_Audubon_820ED_218842.jpg.dd04d8d8da6b8d8c5c600aa75de7e543.jpg

Whatever you are most comfortable with in the end is the important thing. ;)

Thank you again for all of the great descriptions; very helpful! We went ahead and ordered the Vortex Vanquish that you recommended and we are anxious to try them out! :)

Thank you again for all of the great descriptions; very helpful! We went ahead and ordered the Vortex Vanquish that you recommended and we are anxious to try them out! :)

You're welcome! Hope you enjoy them. :)

I've never regretted getting reverse-porro compacts (that's the kind of porro that you are getting, where the objectives--the light-gathering lens farthest from you--are close together rather than farther apart like in my earlier post). I have two inexpensive pair and am always happy to have them when I travel.

Yes they won't be the brightest in the dawn or dusk, but for general, throw it in your backpack pack and go, they might be one of your favorites.

Let us know how they perform and have an excellent cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know how they perform and have an excellent cruise!

We got these binoculars last week, just in time for a weekend day trip to Angel Island. They worked great...just what we were looking for! Perfect for daytime sightseeing. Thanks again for the suggestion!:)

We got these binoculars last week, just in time for a weekend day trip to Angel Island. They worked great...just what we were looking for! Perfect for daytime sightseeing. Thanks again for the suggestion!:)

You're so welcome! So glad I could help.

Glenn