Renting a car in Katakolon port

Musicmama11

Has anyone rented a car from Avis in Katakolo? Or should we just hire a taxi as we get off the ship? We have 2 private tours set up about an hour away at a farm and winery. My husband will be fine driving, but wonder how quick the pick up and drop off will be.

Any idea the cost of a taxi for the day?

Can't help with the cost of a taxi. But hailing a taxi on-spec at the port for an all-day tour is likely to be expensive, as it is elsewhere in Europe. You'd be far better off to get quotes for pre-booked transport - something worth doing anyway, to compare against a car rental.

It's up to a ten minute walk from ship to port gate, but Avis & others are quite near the gate. The process at the rental agency is pretty quick & painless, and if you've taken full insurance the return is extremely quick & easy.

But just like any rental agency anywhere, picking up the car depends whether there are folk in line ahead of you & whether they have complications. All a matter of luck.

Be aware that some road signs, esp on smaller roads, will be in the Greek alphabet only. And often there are different translations into the Roman alphabet, which can complicate matters. I don't know the roads in that part of Greece except to Olympia so I can't be more specific.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

I did not want to risk competing with other passengers (in addition to our Seabourn Odyssey there are two other ships in ports that day) so for our June cruise I reserved the car with Avis. For a car with automatic transmission and added insurance it is about $100. We have been to Katakalin three times (the first we went to Olympia) so this time I thought we would take a nice drive for the day.