Majesty 31 Oct - 14 Nov: No Duty Free Shops

Received an email today advising that for the first part of the cruise the shops will be closed as they are revamping for some brand new stock and will be stocktaking, refurbishing and refreshing the product choice. The shops will re-open around Sunday 9th November when we sail from Barcelona to Gibraltar.:eek:

Hope no-one is hoping to buy their duty free cigs and booze onboard for their cabin. Think the shop at Corfu will do a lot of business that day. My only thought is that they could be running their stock down if it is the end of the cruising season on 31 October.:eek:

I'm sure it was about this time last year when we were on the maj? (the cruise that went to ashdod?) and yes they were running down the stock in the onboard duty free shop and it closed completely towards the end of the cruise (ours wasnt the last cruise of the season either?)....we were a little irritated by that...I think I may have mentioned it at the time?

yes its probably because the ship is coming towards the end of the season

at least thoms have emailed to inform people this year....still slightly annoying tho...they shouldnt really do that, if they can keep the bars and the restaurants stocked then surely they can keep the shops stocked too?

We received same email - NOT HAPPY !! we should get some kind of compensation for the lack of facility and inconvenience - the cruise was sold to us with the onboard facilities included !!

This closure does not bother me, although I find it strange that the first 10 days of the cruise are being taken up. On previous repositioning cruises it has been done on the last three/four days prior to arriving in the new port. Just like to go walkabout to stretch the legs but never bought anything apart from a battery once. It will also give more room for getting to the different venues as the tables plus "rummagers" will not be blocking the passageways.:)

Hi Jan,

DH and I were just saying that we have hardly ever bought anything in the ship's shops :D Nail varnish once, some fudge which was half price and a pendant for my birthday (6 months late :rolleyes:)

We don't smoke and always have our drinks in the bar (Unless we have lovely balcony :D) so wouldn't worry us either. I wonder, though, if you would still be able to get things you might have forgotten, like toothpaste or suncream :confused:

Edited by CRUISIN LINDA

Hi Jan,

DH and I were just saying that we have hardly ever bought anything in the ship's shops. Nail varnish once, some fudge which was half price and a pendant for my birthday (6 months late)

We don't smoke and always have our drinks in the bar (Unless we have lovely balcony) so wouldn't worry us either. I wonder, though, if you would still be able to get things you might have forgotten, like toothpaste or suncream

Hi Linda

Have been following your trip to get an idea how the weather is behaving itself. Hope you are getting to the bottom of the pile washing-wise. That's the only problem with going on holiday.

Like you, we don't smoke, I don't drink and DH is a beer man. Stopped buying knick knacks and postcards many moons ago. I usually visit that well-known high street store/chemist at every airport with a list of what has not been put in the suitcase (leaves room for more clothes;).

Jan:)

We had lovely weather Jan. The sea was calm all week. I never remember it being so smooth since our first cruise on the Red Sea.

4 loads of washing done and ironed. Last load in the machine now :)

Shopping can wait :rolleyes: I think there is enough food in the freezer and TBH we have eaten enough in the last week :D only put on 1lb though :)

:)

I can't remember if you have been on the Majesty before?

I remember buying gin on The Dream a couple of years ago and it was same price as duty free shops on land. This year we went to Menorca and were surprised to be able to buy duty free at Edinburgh airport and on the flight outing back. I was not aware that the regulations had changed.:)

End of the cruising season you say? :p

Hope not as I get on the same ship on the 15th November in the Canary Island where it will be Wintering..

It's the end of the summer cruising season around the Mediterranean, Aegean and Adriatic and Majesty has been based in Corfu, hence my statement that it may be the end of the cruising season there. All Thomson ships are either dry-docked or repositioned for the winter at the end of October to the Canaries and Caribbean and return to their summer ports again in April. We are on Majesty's repositioning cruise from Corfu to Tenerife on 31 October and disembark on 15 November. Will make sure she arrives on time for you.;):D