NOLA Can't Miss

cruzn4life

DH and I are cruising out of NOLA for the first time next week. We will have our four teenagers in tow. We are arriving in NOLA a day early and would like to do some sight-seeing. What are your top 5 sights that we should be sure not to miss while we are there?

You can't pick just 5. Start at Jackson square and walk around from there. A checklist for things to see does not exist in such a culturally and historically diverse city.

I recommend that people not go with a list of things to see, but show up and see what you can get into.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Speaking as a local, these are the things I do with my visiting friends & relatives:

>> Ride the St. Charles Avenue Streetcar from Canal Street at least to Riverbend (Carrollton Avenue)

>> If you're there in the summer, have a snowball -- Plum Street is my personal favorite (and conveniently a few blocks off the St. Charles Avenue streetcar line, just past Riverbend). If you're there in the winter, I'd suggest pastries, at Angelo Brocato (on the Canal Street streetcar line).

>> Wander up and down Bourbon Street during the day & at night. The feel is different each night, and it's hard to tell what the feel will be like on any particular night.

>> Plan at least one true local meal. For a casual meal, I know tourists like Mother's, but I am not a fan. Joey K's or Franky & Johnny's are much better, though further out of the French Quarter -- you'll need a car or to take a taxi to either. For a fancy meal, I will pick Galatoire's every time, but Commander's Palace is a great choice as well. Galatoire's is on Bourbon Street, Commander's is Uptown and I'd recommend taking a taxi or driving if you have your own car.

>> Just wander about the French Quarter/River along Decatur Street. You'll see Moon Walk, St. Louis Cathedral & Jackson Square, and Cafe du Monde. Sometimes it's just fun to wander about with no real destination.

And because I can't limit it to just 5:

>> Take a ride across the River on the Algiers Ferry. It's really interesting to see the River from both sides and the views of Jackson Square from the River can't really be beat.