An Epic Solo Adventure (Review of the Norwegian Epic - October 2014)

LibrarianLizy

Hi I have a solo cabin booked on Epic for May around the western Med I booked it because of the solo cabins and lounge and hopefully a great group of solo who I can meet up with for dinner, excursions and activities. My first Solo I cruise on NCL Jade and the solo experience was very much lacking the solo get together was poorly advertised and poorly organised no activities or dinner reservations were organised it was simply meet in a bar at say 6.30 on the first day and the rest is up to you .

I think you'll find the Epic much more to your liking if you are looking for more organized activities. There is a meet up every night, and depending on who the cruise director staffer is, you should have some sort of planned activity.

I would love to sail on the Jade because she cruises the Eastern Med which I would like to be my next destination, but the problems you mentioned are exactly why I'm not booked yet and probably won't be.

• 4 weeks later...

What a pleasure it was reading your review! Thank you for taking the time to write it.

I've also been on the Epic, for an 11-day eastbound transatlantic in 2012. Yesterday, I saw 20+-day combined European itineraries in late 2015 and early 2016 that look quite interesting.

I'm also a proud single, albeit 44 and male. I particularly like what you wrote about being an extroverted introvert.

I've been living and traveling solo for almost all of my adult life, so at this point I never think twice about doing so, even with "freestyle dining". I don't particularly care for rigid schedules in my personal life, and especially not while I'm on vacation, so a more flexible dining arrangement is perfectly fine by me. :)

It's possible that I'm now so used to traveling solo, I project just as much (or as little) confidence as everyone else, so maybe that reflects on how others relate to me.

In late 2013, I took my first cruise as a true solo, on the Norwegian Spirit from Barcelona to Casablanca and the Canary Islands. I met couples originally from the US and me being the only solo traveler in our group was fortunately never awkward or uncomfortable.

With all that said, I can understand that being female affects the issue.

I don't hesitate to travel on a ship that does not have solo cabins, assuming the price for a non-solo cabin is attractive. I paid a ridiculously low price for a guaranteed inside cabin on the Spirit. I booked that cabin just a few weeks before sail date, though.

Again, thank you for the review, and I wish only enjoyable future cruises as well!

Thanks for your reply, jlajr! It's always nice to talk to fellow cruisers. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and thanks for letting me know about the new Epic itineraries. I'm not super interested in the Canary Islands, but since no (affordable for me) ship with solo cabins seems to be sailing the Eastern Med, I may have to think about something else.

Thanks for your reply, jlajr! It's always nice to talk to fellow cruisers. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and thanks for letting me know about the new Epic itineraries. I'm not super interested in the Canary Islands, but since no (affordable for me) ship with solo cabins seems to be sailing the Eastern Med, I may have to think about something else.

If you're willing to travel on short notice, Costa and NCL might have affordable fares in the Eastern Mediterranean. For example, right now, I see about $600 + fees + tips for an inside cabin on the April 18 Jade sailing. Not as cheap as the best off-season Caribbean prices, but not bad either, IMHO. MSC might have affordable fares, too, but right now I can't seem to get any of my regular websites to show me fares for one passenger.

Safe and Happy Travels!

• 5 weeks later...
If you're willing to travel on short notice, Costa and NCL might have affordable fares in the Eastern Mediterranean. For example, right now, I see about $600 + fees + tips for an inside cabin on the April 18 Jade sailing. Not as cheap as the best off-season Caribbean prices, but not bad either, IMHO. MSC might have affordable fares, too, but right now I can't seem to get any of my regular websites to show me fares for one passenger.

Safe and Happy Travels!

Have you sailed with Costa or MSC? I'm hesitant to try European lines for some reason. I guess I'm worried about issues with solo (young) female travelers? I've had some harassment issues in Europe wouldn't want to repeat that. That said, cruises are different and that probably wouldn't even be an issue. Those are excellent prices and I'm definitely going to go hunt up some reviews to see what I can find. Thanks!

Hi I have sailed with MSC twice now , I had fantastic 0% solo supplement so no extra costs plus free upgrades to a balcony , I travelled on Fantasia and Splendida and had an amazing time but my friend has just got back from Prezio sa and didnt have such a great time.

MSC did not have any solo get togethers though and no solo events they did seem to seat solo English speakers together for evening meals

Hi I have sailed with MSC twice now , I had fantastic 0% solo supplement so no extra costs plus free upgrades to a balcony , I travelled on Fantasia and Splendida and had an amazing time but my friend has just got back from Prezio sa and didnt have such a great time.

MSC did not have any solo get togethers though and no solo events they did seem to seat solo English speakers together for evening meals

I guess sitting the solos at dinner together is better than nothing. I've read a few reviews of solos on MSC and the reviews seem pretty mixed. I'm not quite sure I'm brave enough to try it. I may go with a line I'm more familiar with, but without solo cabins/solo events, before I try a new line.

Thanks for your response!

Thank you for sharing your experience! I will be going on the Epic out of Rome 11/11. I will also be doing the 4 day tour in Rome pre-cruise. I'm hoping there will be some other solo ladies on my cruise. You've got a great positive attitude!!!

I think you'll find a nice mix of ages on your trip. Based on what I've seen around the boards, I would think that a cooler time of the year would lend itself towards an older group. The group I hung out with was mostly 30s and 40s, but I saw some older travelers during the first few meetups and a wide range of ages all over the ship. I hope you have a wonderful time!