Nice Cours Saleya Market or Monaco Condamine Market

samnewbie

Hi there,

We are due to call at Monaco in August (a Monday) and our teen daughter would love to go to a typical french market to practice her french speaking.

I am pondering a trip to Nice to the Cours Saleya Market - I know it will be antiques etc on a Monday or the Condamine market in Monaco.

We are there for 12 hours 11am-11pm but would like a relaxing day not one rushing about so I'm thinking both markets would probably be a no. I'm also thinking the Condamine is not a full day??

Does anyone have experience of both at all?

I had originally thought Nice and possibly a visit to Eze but after daughters request I'm not sure which market area would be best. I think the Condamine has food etc, is it from experience what one might class a 'typical market'? Also being Monaco will we actually be able to afford anything!?? ha ha :D

I wondered if the shops in the vincity are small interesting shops also?

Also are there any other market areas that might be worth considering in Nice or Monaco?

If we did go to Nice i'm thinking bus or train, which would be most convenient stop wise for the Cours Saleya please?.

Many thanks in advance, I appreciate any advice offered :D

Sam :)

The bus #100 stop in Monaco at Place d'Armes is basically at the market and the bus terminal in Nice is a very short walk to Cours Saleya, so you could do both by bus very easily.

My bias would be to make a plan to go to Nice, and to grab something beautiful and delicious from this place (basically between the bus depot and Cours Saleya) :D

http://www.cremadigelato.fr/

The bus #100 stop in Monaco at Place d'Armes is basically at the market and the bus terminal in Nice is a very short walk to Cours Saleya, so you could do both by bus very easily.

My bias would be to make a plan to go to Nice, and to grab something beautiful and delicious from this place (basically between the bus depot and Cours Saleya) :D

http://www.cremadigelato.fr/

Hiya,

Thanks for the info. When you say a very short walk, would you say under 10 mins? Just to get an idea, I have some mobility problems.

Thanks for the link to the ice cream parlour, I've already chosen what I would have :D

Maybe we could indeed do both if we give Eze a miss this time, I'm pretty sure the Condamine is only until around 2pm so we could perhaps do that first then catch the bus to Nice and stroll the Cours Saleya.

Will print some timetables and see if I can find a map showing the bus stops, thanks.

Sam :)

I would say you could walk in 5 minutes or so from the bus depot to Cours Saleya, but you might want to stroll through the shops on your way, so it could take longer. You would also have to walk from the ship to the bus stop in Monaco, it's a little further 10-15 minutes?

Thats great, many thanks.

Will see if I can find more information about the Condamine to see if its a 'typical' market and Cours Saleya to show our daughter and see what see fancies doing :D

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Although your daughter requested a market to practice her French, I am not sure she will get to talk much with busy vendors.

Just going into shops and cafes will probably give her much more practice.

Also if it is a farmer's market they will be speaking a french that she never learned in school.

I am not trying to discourage you from going but if it proves difficult just remember there are plenty of places near the ship.

If she has not been to France she will enjoy just being able to read all the signs and have small conversations.

No matter what you do it will be a great memory.

Although your daughter requested a market to practice her French, I am not sure she will get to talk much with busy vendors.

Just going into shops and cafes will probably give her much more practice.

Also if it is a farmer's market they will be speaking a french that she never learned in school.

I am not trying to discourage you from going but if it proves difficult just remember there are plenty of places near the ship.

If she has not been to France she will enjoy just being able to read all the signs and have small conversations.

No matter what you do it will be a great memory.

Hiya,

Yes, she is prepared for that.

She just loves the french language and is reasonably fluent but only had small chances previously to use it actually in France, so as you say she will enjoy being able to read the signs and have small conversations.

She will no doubt attempt to chat to anyone who will listen! :D ;)

She will also get a chance to use her french (and the bit of Arabic I have taught her) in Tunisia no doubt as we also call there :)

She is getting excited now and especially about those two port stops.

Thanks again

Archived