Transfer from Rosyth to Edinburgh

Raga59

Hello, we (4 adults) will be in Rosyth with the MS Astor from 17 - 19 august and I have some questions concerning the possibilities for going from the cruise terminal to Edinburgh as we want to do this by our own on 17 and 18 august (on 18 august we also visit the Tattoo in the evening). We don't like to use the transfer service Rosyth - Edinburgh offered by our cruise line (too expensive).

1. Are there taxis (even in the late evening) which bring us from the cruise terminal to Inverkeithing or Rosyth railway station and back ?

2 Which Railway station is better concerning the taxi availibility?

3 Is there a private bus/taxi operator which offers direct transfer from the cruise terminal to Edinburgh and back?

4 Will the ship dock or tender in Rosyth. (according to our information it will dock) ?

Kind regard

Ralf

Hello, we (4 adults) will be in Rosyth with the MS Astor from 17 - 19 august and I have some questions concerning the possibilities for going from the cruise terminal to Edinburgh as we want to do this by our own on 17 and 18 august (on 18 august we also visit the Tattoo in the evening). We don't like to use the transfer service Rosyth - Edinburgh offered by our cruise line (too expensive).

1. Are there taxis (even in the late evening) which bring us from the cruise terminal to Inverkeithing or Rosyth railway station and back ?

2 Which Railway station is better concerning the taxi availibility?

3 Is there a private bus/taxi operator which offers direct transfer from the cruise terminal to Edinburgh and back?

4 Will the ship dock or tender in Rosyth. (according to our information it will dock) ?

Kind regard

Ralf

Hello Ralf, well I can give you it from the horse's mouth so to speak as I've been on the ship that was at Rosyth today answering similar questions.

1. and 2. There will be taxis waiting at the terminal when you disembark and they will be plentiful at Inverkeithing when you get back, even if it's late. A taxi for up to 4/5 people costs £7 - £8. I strongly advise using Inverkeithing as it has a much better, more regular service. You can buy your tickets at the machine, from the counter or on the train and an Off-Peak day Return is your best option. It costs £5.50 if I remember rightly. You will need to go over the bridge for the Edinburgh platform

3. Unlike South Queensferry there is no bus shuttle offered by a private operator. A taxi would cost £40 from Rosyth port to Edinburgh Castle and the driver would usually be willing to come back for you.

4. Ships always dock in Rosyth, no tender necessary.

Rosyth is an industrial port so you aren't allowed to walk in it and a free shuttle bus takes you across to the terminal even though it's only two or three minutes away.

I'd be happy to give you more information if you need it