Drive to Tampa from MCO

HMC RET

In looking at the maps it seems like a pretty straight drive. I will be arriving at MCO around 1130 on a Friday and getting a rental car to drive to Tampa Marriott Waterside Will I run into a lot of traffic/construction or tolls along the way? Is the best route getting on I 4 west?

Thanks

In looking at the maps it seems like a pretty straight drive. I will be arriving at MCO around 1130 on a Friday and getting a rental car to drive to Tampa Marriott Waterside Will I run into a lot of traffic/construction or tolls along the way? Is the best route getting on I 4 west?

Thanks

I'd take the south exit out of the airport and get on 417 and take that to I4. That way you will avoid some of the Orlando area, but not all.

Edited by clarea

concur on the route and yes you'll miss all of downtown Orlando and be clear of Orlando b4 evening rush hour.

You will experience 2 tolls on 417

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

each $1.50 ... cash lanes are to the RIGHT, 6 quarters for each will allow you to use exact change lanes. {John Young and Boggy Creek on my map}

Then you get on I-4 all the way to Tampa with no more tolls. Try to get to the hotel b4 3:30 (EASY - I can do this drive in a little over an hour [80 miles or so and traffic is moving 75 ... or more ..]) so you are off the roads b4 evening rush hour (Tampa's is EASILY as bad as Orlando's)

Settle in your room, then head to Bern's for dinner . . .

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

Edited by Capt_BJ

concur on the route and yes you'll miss all of downtown Orlando and be clear of Orlando b4 evening rush hour.

You will experience 2 tolls on 417

tollmap_zps821b25c5.jpg

each $1.50 ... cash lanes are to the RIGHT, 6 quarters for each will allow you to use exact change lanes. {John Young and Boggy Creek on my map}

Then you get on I-4 all the way to Tampa with no more tolls. Try to get to the hotel b4 3:30 (EASY - I can do this drive in a little over an hour [80 miles or so and traffic is moving 75 ... or more ..]) so you are off the roads b4 evening rush hour (Tampa's is EASILY as bad as Orlando's)

Settle in your room, then head to Bern's for dinner . . .

http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/

You're missing a toll. There's a toll booth on the 417 between Osceola Parkway and I-4. I don't know the actual price because I have SunPass.

You're missing a toll. There's a toll booth on the 417 between Osceola Parkway and I-4. I don't know the actual price because I have SunPass.

The toll plaza is called Celebration and the cash toll is $1.00.

you're right

map was initially prepared for tolls to DISNEY and one would typically exit 417 b4 this toll, and the tolls to the port from Disney where again the Celebration toll does not apply most of the time.

I've amended the map

but you won't see that until you clear your temp' files as your computer has the older version in the "cache" to speed loading and will only reload after you delete the earlier version . . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Thanks everyone for your help. I guess I will need a bunch of quarters.

All of the toll plazas on your route have at least one lane staffed by an employee where you can get change. It's just a bit faster to use the exact change lanes.