Tipping $$$ The CAB driver

EL Capitan Z

Tipping isn't a "given" to me. It's based on the level of service I get.

If I got in the cab, he loads my bags in the trunk, or assist in loading the bags, is courteous, and I get there without feeling like my neck is broken, and without white knuckles, I'd tip my standard 10-15 bucks.

If he didn't help load the bag, and the trip was nice and smooth, 5 bucks.

If I he didn't help load the bags, and I feared for my life. No Tip.

If I fear for my life at any point, no tip.

When I was in Vegas 4 years ago we had an amazing taxi driver from the airport to treasure island. He loaded our bags, opened the doors for us, was very polite, pointed out stuff, gave us advice for Vegas, and told some pretty darn good stories. I tipped him well.

When we left Treasure island 2 weeks later we had the most horrible taxi driver. Didn't help load bags, didn't speak, and I swear to god he was traveling 20mph over the speed limit. I did not tip him.

A tip isn't to be taken for granted, it is earned.

I follow these rules for just about anything. For a waitress to earn a tip at all I have guidelines. If the service is ok, 10%, if its exceptional I tip quite a bit.

Edited by aaron3219

I'll tip a cab driver 15-20%, usually whatever makes the most sense when the total is rounded. So if it was a $50 fare, I'd pay $60 (20% tip). If the fare was $52, I'd still probably pay $60, so the tip is 15.4%. I don't think there is anything special about the destination or the fact that you're asking as a cruise passenger that makes the appropriate tip any different than if you were cabbing anywhere else (e.g., home from work after a late night out).

As far as "service" goes, I do expect the driver to load my bags into the trunk, but only because he knows where he wants it (and if I'm traveling with my family, he'll know how to make the jigsaw puzzle fit). And I will take all the bags from the curb to the back of the car so the driver doesn't really have to move.

I don't want to stand there and expect the driver to open the door for me. It is unlikely that a cab driver could ever drive so fast as to make me uncomfortable. More likely I'd be annoyed because the driver was going too slow.

And I don't necessarily want a cab driver to try to talk my ear off, but that really depends who I'm with, where I am, etc. Sometimes I just want to chat with my family. Or if I'm alone, sometimes that is the one chance to get back to the texts and emails that have come in while I've been flying.

I will say that the one benefit from tipping a cab driver well (given that you will almost certainly never see him again) is that if you happen to leave something behind in the cab, if you tip well, the driver is more likely to make an effort to get it back to you than if you tip poorly or not at all.

I use both Uber and Lyft quite often, but unfortunately New Orleans has neither currently.

Uber wants to start Uber Black there, but it is going to require the council to amend luxury car rules currently in place.

Edited by tncap

Great and easy cab service from msy to Westin French Quarter. 3 people ( one 9 year old). 42 bucks. I tipped 10. So total 52 bucks. Cab driver was very pleased and thankful for tip. I'm on the dream! Warm room but nice boat!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

By the way. Easy walk to cruise ship terminal from Westin, Harrars and river front outlets. We were three people with two big rollers. And three backpacks. Enjoy. Cab is 7 bucks per person from FQ. But we wanted to get beignets and coffee at riverfront.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums