Just booked the Magic out of Galveston

skipnpeanut

We will be cruising on the Magic out of Galveston, leaving on Feb. 8, 2015. We will fly into Houston the day before. Our biggest question at this point is...how do we get from Houston to the Port of Galveston? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

We are doing the same in December and booked a round trip shuttle through cooltoursgalveston.com. They will pick us up at Bush on Saturday and drop us at our Galveston hotel. We'll use the hotel's shuttle to get to the port Sunday morning. Cool Tours will pick us up when when disembark and take us right back to Bush. They do serve both airports...Hobby rates are a little cheaper since it's closer.

Good luck and have a great cruise!

We are actually flying in a couple of days early for our Magic cruise next year. we are going to rent a car at the airport for the 2 days that we're going out to JSC then return the car on Sat. eve. shuttle back to the airport (we're flying into HOU Hobby and hotel has free shuttle to airport) then the morning of the cruise we're going to go back to airport and grab the Carnival shuttle. There are only 2 of us and it was the cheapest way to go that I have found. it's only $35 per person each way. I spoke to Carnival and they said you could fake a flight on the day of the cruise and the shuttle would pick you up in the luggage area. so you don't necessarily have to fly in the day of your cruise to use the shuttle transportation. most people don't know this because I thought too that the shuttle transportation was only reserved for those who actually flew in that day. obviously you can't expect to use the cruise transportation to the cruise terminal on any other day except for your cruise day but you can still use it the day of your cruise. Just "fake" an early morning flight. they said they start shuttling about 10am.

If you're traveling with more than 2 people it may be cheaper to rent a car at the airport and drive yourself to Galveston.

We did and I didn't regret the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The problem with that is that there is not a car rental place open on Sunday in Galveston. Enterprise is there but I think they told me that they were not open on Sunday. the closest one is in Texas City and they close at 2pm on Saturday and open I think at 10:30am on Sunday and you'd still need a way to get from Texas City to Galveston. unless you kept the car all week in a parking lot but I can't see the sense of paying rental on a car for a whole week that you're not even using it.

We are actually flying in a couple of days early for our Magic cruise next year. we are going to rent a car at the airport for the 2 days that we're going out to JSC then return the car on Sat. eve. shuttle back to the airport (we're flying into HOU Hobby and hotel has free shuttle to airport) then the morning of the cruise we're going to go back to airport and grab the Carnival shuttle.

I love this method if coming down more than a day early. Worked seamlessly for me.

• 2 weeks later...

We're a family of 4 ages 18-44. Flying into HOU and renting a car (Budget or Avis are the choices).

Using the rental car to get to Galveston where we'll spend the night.

Moring of cruise, we're dropping 3 of us and luggage at port and 4th person is returning car to Texas City and taking a cab back to Galveston.

Doing the reverse after the cruise.

Depending on the class of vehicle, the rates are running between $23 (compact car) and $109 (full size 12 passenger van) for a 24 hour, one-way rental.

Or for around $300 total for 4 adults (Saturday night stay), you can book the La Quinta cruise package which includes one night hotel pre-cruise, roundtrip transfer to/from Galveston cruise terminal and free airport shuttle to/from Houston Hobby airport.

http://www.lq.com/lq/coolsavings/packages/detail.jsp?ident=20110110014546

Weighing all our options. Thinking about renting a car at bush airport, driving to hotel in galveston. Return car sunday morning....assuming they have key drop off box ???? Maybe taxi to port ? Then when we go back to airport post cruise, use carnival shuttle. Does anyone know if enterprise has key drop off? Thanks everyone.