Ferry into Geiranger

ceba

Has anyone taken the local ferry from Hellsylt into Geiranger? Was it easy to do and did you enjoy it? Any feedback? Thanks for any info you have

Edited by ceba

The ferry is very easy to do.

Walk on board - get your ticket either on board (someone is coming around to sell the tickets) or you get them from a person selling tickets as you walk on board the ferry.

Hellesylt is a very small place so its impossible to miss the ferry and the ferry pier. There are signs to the ferry and marked parking lanes for cars queuing to embark.

The sailing from Hellesylt to Geiranger takes about 1 hour.

The ferry - depends when you take the trip - or ferries are comfortable with lots of outside deck for viewing the sailing through the amazing scenery. There are also a cafe on board selling coffee/snacks/light dishes etc.

The price for the ferry is NOK 160 pp for adults.

If you have a car it will cost extra.

The ferry offers recorded comments about the farms/waterfalls/areas during the sailing.

Link to timetable:

http://www.fjord1.no/eng/tourist-services/geiranger-hellesylt2

Note: Your ship will sail the same route from Hellesylt to Geiranger.

Edited by I-Cruiser

Thank you so much! Of course I'm assuming the scenery would be the same sailing in on the ship ;), any reason we would want to take the ferry vs the ship? if we decide to take the ferry what is your suggestion how to spend the time in Hellesylt that morning? Our ship will dock there that morning for a few hours.

Hellesylt is mainly a port for dropping off overland tour passengers. You might not be able to get off the ship and spend a few hours in Hellesylt.

The ship might let you off so you can take the ferry to Geiranger. But, I would not count on it.

I know smaller ships sometimes let their passengers off but not all the time.

If you would like to have a commentary about the scenery then you should take the ferry. If not you might as well stay with your ship:)

Some 5 star cruise lines invites guides on board to make commentaries about the scenery .

I hadn't thought about just "excursion" passengers getting off. Of course that makes more sense. I originally booked a ships tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger through Briksdal Glacier and Josledalsbreen Nat Park but it's pricey and I'm wondering if the scenery sailing in and some time spent in Geiranger is going to be an equally nice day. Any thoughts?

Edited by ceba

I hadn't thought about just "excursion" passengers getting off. Of course that makes more sense. I originally booked a ships tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger through Briksdal Glacier and Josledalsbreen Nat Park but it's pricey and I'm wondering if the scenery sailing in and some time spent in Geiranger is going to be an equally nice day. Any thoughts?

The tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger will take you through some spectacular scenery. It will be a long day but the tours normally makes many photo stops etc along the way. The Glacier is amazing and so the Nat Park.

I think you will enjoy the tour as you will experience something different than the fjord landscape. Coming down to Geiranger I suppose the tour will make a stop at Mt. Daslnibba.

You shouldn't worry about missing the fjord as you will have lots of time enjoying the fjord sailing out of Geiranger.

From a scenery point of view its really hard to decide which one is better. I know you will have a great day if you take the tour or stay in Geiranger.

Thank you so much for your time! I think I'll go ahead and do the tour. I'm really looking forward to this trip. :)

Happy to help:)

I know you will enjoy the day viewing lots of mountain, waterfalls, lakes (you will drive pass Lake Horningdalsvatnet which is Europes deepest lake at 1670ft), drive on to Nordfjord and pass the the village of Stryn and the Stryn river to the glacier and the national park. Return to Geiranger via Mt Dalsniba.

It will be a long day but worth every second of it.

Sailing out of Geiranger you might want to have dinner at the buffet and enjoy the scenery from the top deck.:)

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice from those familiar with the Hellesylt/Geiranger, Norway area. I am sailing in July on Crystal Symphony and have the choice of two 8 hour excursions offered by the cruise line departing from Hellesylt. Given these are all day and return close to sailing time I am inclined to book with the ship, although I am usually a DIY type of excursion person. Which would be recommended?

Tour 1 $259/pp

After tendering ashore, board your motor coach and travel past the mighty waterfall that inspired Henrik Ibsen to write his drama, Brand. Making its breathtaking ascent, your route takes you across picturesque farmlands, winds through towering mountains and passes gorgeous lakes.

This enjoyable leg of your journey continues for about 45 minutes, bringing you to Lake Hornindalsvatn. With a depth of 1,800 feet, the lake is the deepest in Europe.

Proceed along the lovely Nordfjord, passing quaint villages and the Stryn River. Teeming with salmon, the river is a favorite for fishermen.

Following lunch at a hotel in Hjelledalen or Stryn, rejoin your motor coach for the next chapter of your journey, involving 19 hairpin turns which culminate at the Jolbrua Bridge. Spanning a 300-foot-deep gorge fed by the thundering Buldrefossen Waterfall, the bridge affords one of Norway’s most spectacular views.

Venturing even farther into the mountains, pass the Tystigen Glacier, where you will see the Strynefjell Summerski-Center, popular for summer skiing.

Your next destination is Mt. Dalsnibba. From this 4,500-foot vantage point, the views are stunning. Gaze in awe at snow-covered mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and, weather permitting, the Geirangerfjord far below.

Continue your descent, stopping briefly at a viewpoint to take in vistas of the Flydal Valley and your ship anchored in Geirangerfjord. Traverse more hairpin turns before reaching charming Geiranger Village, where tenders await to convey you to your Crystal ship.

Tour 2 $319/pp

After tendering ashore at Hellesylt, board your motor coach and begin your scenic travels along a beautiful road towards Stranda.

Stopping at the viewpoint at Ljøen, enjoy an opportunity to take photographs of the majestic fjord landscape.

Continuing on, appreciate vistas of rolling hills, green valleys, rushing rivers and snowcapped mountains on your way to Strandafjellet, where you will board a gondola/chairlift. While the ride to the top of the mountain will take only seven minutes, the memories of stupendous views of the surrounding peaks and fjords will last a lifetime.

Next, join a ferry and cross the fjord to Liabygda, venturing farther into an alpine world of ice and snow to arrive at Trollstigheimen. Pause to admire more incredible vistas before traveling to the charming town of Valldal for lunch.

Another ferry crossing will take you to Eidsdal. Then, proceeding to Geiranger, you will thrill to yet one more stop, this time at Ørnesvingen, or Eagle’s Bend, to marvel at panoramic views of the fjord and your Crystal ship.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

Speaking of your ship, she awaits you here at Geiranger, a tender-transfer away from shore.

Hello,

I would appreciate any advice from those familiar with the Hellesylt/Geiranger, Norway area. I am sailing in July on Crystal Symphony and have the choice of two 8 hour excursions offered by the cruise line departing from Hellesylt. Given these are all day and return close to sailing time I am inclined to book with the ship, although I am usually a DIY type of excursion person. Which would be recommended?

Tour 1 $259/pp

After tendering ashore, board your motor coach and travel past the mighty waterfall that inspired Henrik Ibsen to write his drama, Brand. Making its breathtaking ascent, your route takes you across picturesque farmlands, winds through towering mountains and passes gorgeous lakes.

This enjoyable leg of your journey continues for about 45 minutes, bringing you to Lake Hornindalsvatn. With a depth of 1,800 feet, the lake is the deepest in Europe.

Proceed along the lovely Nordfjord, passing quaint villages and the Stryn River. Teeming with salmon, the river is a favorite for fishermen.

Following lunch at a hotel in Hjelledalen or Stryn, rejoin your motor coach for the next chapter of your journey, involving 19 hairpin turns which culminate at the Jolbrua Bridge. Spanning a 300-foot-deep gorge fed by the thundering Buldrefossen Waterfall, the bridge affords one of Norway’s most spectacular views.

Venturing even farther into the mountains, pass the Tystigen Glacier, where you will see the Strynefjell Summerski-Center, popular for summer skiing.

Your next destination is Mt. Dalsnibba. From this 4,500-foot vantage point, the views are stunning. Gaze in awe at snow-covered mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and, weather permitting, the Geirangerfjord far below.

Continue your descent, stopping briefly at a viewpoint to take in vistas of the Flydal Valley and your ship anchored in Geirangerfjord. Traverse more hairpin turns before reaching charming Geiranger Village, where tenders await to convey you to your Crystal ship.

Tour no. 1 for sure. This tour will give you more dramatic nature, more waterfalls, more lovely places to visit than tour no. 2.

I think the scenery is more divers in this tour. The Lake Horningdalsvatnet is stunning so also the Stryn river wally.

Tour 1 will make for a more memorable day in which you will enjoy more.

It will be a long day but well worth it.

You can easily diy with a car rental. The price will be expensive as you will have to deliver the car in Geiranger and not Hellesylt.

Crystal might not let you off the ship in Hellesylt since the port is a drop of port for tours only.

I love to diy myself but this time I would have to say its better to do a ships tour.

Lars:)

Edited by I-Cruiser

Djupvasshytta on the lake Djupvatnet on the road up to Mt. Dalsnibba.

Everywhere the nature will be very green and lush but when you get up to this altitude the scenery is more rugged.

This shows the diversity in the landscape and the tour you are thinking about taking.

dalsnibba1_zps7c42543d.jpg"]dalsnibba1_zps7c42543d.jpg[/url]