Tampa and Busch Gardens/Hockey game

Bee Bop

This board is always such a wealth of information so I am hoping someone can help me! I have searched quite a few posts, but I am still not sure of the best "plan of action" for our family (boys aged 10, 13)! We will have a car. My husband has a conference in Orlando, so we will drive to Tampa for a few days before returning to Orlando.

We will be staying in Tampa for 2 nights (March 26, 27). We arrive around noon on the 26th, then we are heading to Orlando after check out on the 28th.

The only thing currently on the agenda is a trip to Busch Gardens and a hockey game (which is the 26th-our arrival day).

My original plan was to go to Busch around noon on the 26th and spend the afternoon then head to the hockey game that night. However, I have read traffic could be an issue and I don't want to feel rushed at Busch.

Then I thought just arrive on the 26th (and do something??? in the afternoon before the game) and go to Busch on the 27th.

I need advice on where to stay. Since we have a car, we can drive. I had initially considered staying around Busch and driving everywhere. Would this seem reasonable or would it be better to stay in another area (which may have more restaurants and such) and just drive to Busch? Should we try to squeeze some beach time in there as well - not sure if we have enough time? We don't need super fancy place to stay, just clean and maybe a pool. Would prefer not to spend a fortune either.

We enjoy eating at unique restaurants and shopping too. No need for aquarium as we will head to SeaWorld.

I hope this makes sense.

Any suggestions from people who are familiar with Tampa and all of the great things to do there?

Thank you

Edited by Bee Bop

You have very limited time to do all you would like to do. I would go to the Lightning game and wait until your second day to do Busch. A couple of hours will not be sufficient to enjoy the park. A full day is needed. if you are arriving early your first day you should be able to fit some beach time in but you will have to travel about a half hour over to Clearwater or St. Petersburg.Nice, and quiet area. We stayed at Rocky Point, its half way between the arena and Clearwater. Theres a Hampton Inn, a Holiday Inn, and mabe 1 or 2 more hotels there also. Sorry, cant help on the dining.