First time cruise to Alaska

tempoct

Hi all,

My first post here :)

I need some info and recommendation for my specific trips to Alaska. I'm interested to take a 10+ days to Alaska. My hobby is photography so I'd like to explore more. I'll be travelling with my dad (senior 55+) in this trip.

I research through several forums/sites and have compiled the list of what I should see/do. I expected to visit during July/August time framem, but through this forum, it seems to rain more during that period. Maybe I should change to last week of June? Any recommendation for cruise line and place/things to photograph? Here's my first list;

Places:

1. Denali NP

2. Northern lights (Fairbanks?)

3. Inside passage

4. Glarciers / Prince William Sound

5. Train tour from Fairbanks to Anchorage

6. Yukon?

Any specific cruise line/ tour to recommend? I'm thinking about 10-12 days range, maybe leaving from Vancouver or Seattle. Not too expensive, of course. (there are some cheaper cruise lines which leave from San Francisco and stay most of the time in the ship, I don't really like that! There should be a cruise line with good balance between land and sea).

Also, I'm not a US citizen so it is preferable to stay inside the US that's why I don't need to get Canadian Visa. But if it is required to better ship/tour depart from Vancouver, I could get the visa if needed.

I saw thread about smaller ship cruise seem to be better and less expensive. I don't mind if I have to rent a car and drive from one place to another. Says if I get out of the ship on ship and drive myself to Anchorage-Denali-Fairbanks and probably took a train back or something like that, if needed, of course.

I don't know the realistic budget for this. Look to me it should be around $2000 per person including airfare (I'm in Los Angeles). Please also tell me which site/place/travel agency I should book to get the best value.

Also, any must-do land activities? Aircraft sightseeing? Dog sled?

Any recommendation is appreciated.

John :)

With your priority, you need more than 10 days. I would suggest 2 weeks. You also need to sail out of or to Vancouver, there are no one way cruises Seattle.

I would suggest, you might want to consider HAL with Glacier Bay, College Fjords and Seward. Out of Seward spend the day and take a Kenai Fjords boat tour, loaded with varied wildlife. The train Seward/Anchorage is the most scenic of the Alaska RR, Anchorage /Fairbanks just about parallels the Parks Highway and if you rent a car, far more opportunities for photos.

Of your timeframe, you have no chance of Northern Lights, it does not get dark enough. The earliest I have seen them is end of August. AND again you need TIME. I spent 19 days my last trip- with 12 interior Alaska, Northern Lights were viewable ONE night only. And of the displays I have seen, probably a 6 on a 1-10 scale. Denali Park is best with 2 overnights and a MUST if you take the train. I suggest the shuttle bus to at least Fish Creek.

Prince William sound is fantastic, and a great day trip from Anchorage.

The Yukon is Canada. Easy access from Skagway with rental car giving you the most freedom. But there are bus tours to consider and combo bus and train as well.

http://www.toursaver.com is a good option for savings.

As for your budget, way underestimated. With modest activities, you are looking at double your figure. A bottom figure for Alaska hotels is $100/night, car rentals, at least $300 week. Budget 50% more for food than you do at home. Cruise- inside cabin $1000pp tips, $70pp. Then there are the tours, which are necessary - wildlife tours, flightseeing etc will all offer you the best photographic opportunities. This portion isn't the place to skimp on .

Here is a sample of my photos, which you may want to consider some of the areas. :) http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

Hello Budget Queen,

So, from what I understand, it's better to take cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, one-way and buy another tour to Denali/Fairbank? Buying a tour or driving myself is better choice?

How much can I save by doing this compared to buying a cruisetour?

What is HAL? Holland America?

What can I expect from the toursaver? coupon books for tours/activities, right? Is one book good for two people?

Thanks again for the info.

John

Hello Budget Queen,

So, from what I understand, it's better to take cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, one-way and buy another tour to Denali/Fairbank? Buying a tour or driving myself is better choice?

What can I expect from the toursaver? coupon books for tours/activities, right? Is one book good for two people?

John

Reading some of the FAQs on toursaver.com site. Seems to answer lots about their deals. :

http://www.toursaver.com/alaska-vacation-faq.php

Thanks again to pointing that to me. I'm thinking of taking cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage and continue land tour by myself (using toursaver). Thinking about buying two of them since I think it would pay off for me and my dad.

Reading some of the FAQs on toursaver.com site. Seems to answer lots about their deals. :

http://www.toursaver.com/alaska-vacation-faq.php

Thanks again to pointing that to me. I'm thinking of taking cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage and continue land tour by myself (using toursaver). Thinking about buying two of them since I think it would pay off for me and my dad.

If it is just you and your dad.. 1 should suffice. As it usually is buy one get one free.. but you would have to book tours in advance and let them know you would be using a tour saver coupon. BQ pointed that out to me, so I let all the folks know.. and so far I am good with all the excursions I have booked so far.

Some have sold the remainder of the book on e-bay when they were thru with it :)

Hello Budget Queen,

John

If of interest definately consider going on your own. The freedom for your own choices is way superior to any cruisetour. Point to point travel in Alaska is lacking and none of the cruisetours get you far enough into Denali park.

Yes HAL is Holland America.

And yes, you only need 1 toursaver book since all the coupons are 2 for 1 (tours) Look over the offers and see if anything of interest. The top usage is usually, Talkeetna flightseeing and Kenai fjords boat tours.

I also misread your budget. You should be able to spend 2 week in Alaska with a cruise and land with air for under $6000, if you are not looking at costly lodging. I spent about $5000 for 19 days, with all the tours and flights I could manage. :)

Archived