Question about mobility scooters

3Hearts

We are cruising over Thanksgiving this year :D, and bringing along my Mother in Law. She is mobile but due to COPD cannot walk long distances without getting out of breath so we are renting her a 3 wheel mobility scooter.

My question is how mobile are these scooters. I know we cannot get them in a tender so she will use her walker and we will move much slower.

Belize is our first stop, that's the tender port. Roatan is our second. Someone my husband know will be our tour guide, he may have access to a van. I am more concerned with Cozumel. We were going to have a beach break at Nachi Cocom so we need to hop in a taxi to get there. We will probably need a van taxi anyway because there will be 6 of us, or take two regular taxi's. Will the scooter fit ok in either one? Do they break apart easily to fit in a trunk?

Scooters are rented based on weight. Depending on your MIL's weight CareVacations ,which is one of the Cruiselines preferred vendors, rents a mid size Pride Go Go Elite Traveler. This scooter is classified as a portable travel scooter. It easily breaks down into 5 pieces and can fit in the trunk of a car or van.

Link to real time demo of disassembly of scooter : http://www.pridemobility.com/gogo/video/gogo_Elite_disassembly.html

Link to CareVacations http://www.carevacations.com/cruiseshipassist/mobility-equipment/mid-size-scooter/

After renting one a few years back, I purchased one because of ease in portability. I have MS and I'm able to take it apart and put it in trunk by myself. Demo shows it can be done in 1 minute . It takes me about 2-3 minutes which is still fast.

Hope this helps you .

XXOOcruiser THANKS

That was very helpful. I have been talking with one of the preferred scooter rentals of Carnival. But just want to make sure "how portable" they were. Sometimes they may mislead you a tad bit ;)

Have a great day

XXOOcruiser THANKS

That was very helpful. I have been talking with one of the preferred scooter rentals of Carnival. But just want to make sure "how portable" they were. Sometimes they may mislead you a tad bit ;)

Have a great day

You're welcome !

BTW - I'm leaving for a cruise this weekend and have again rented this model be it's so easy to use. Though I own one, I prefer not to have it possibly be damaged by the airlines.

A scooter can make all the difference on board the ship. Instead of being out of breath when your MIL moves around the ship, she will be comfortable and not use up her breath just getting from place to place.

Keep in mind, there are usually a few very rude people on board who do not take kindly to scooters. They will block her way into the elevators and try to close the door before she can safely get on. Always good to have a companion hold the elevator doors for her. Most passengers are very polite and helpful but there are always a few who aren't.

I am a very big person (diabetes) and use a scooter for every cruise. I always use CareVacation and the cost is very reasonable. For a 10-11 day cruise, the price has always been $350, and if it weren't for a scooter, I couldn't have a cruise at all. Worth every penny to me.

Thanks to everyone for all the input!

I want this to be a memorable cruise for my MIL. This will surely help!:)

saintbernardlover- Good question.:confused: My contract has a number I need to call if there are any problems on the cruise. To either troubleshoot and or document problems, if there are any. But if we damage it in any way we are responsible for those damages. I went with Special needs at sea, it was one of the two Carnival recommended. One reason I chose them was the other company never got back to me with a estimate.:confused: I am all about snooze you loose..

I checked with my homeowner's policy and they told me that they would not insure the rental scooter. We are now thinking we may just buy our own and bring it as we are driving to the port and am researching if the homeowner's or other insurance will cover it if we own instead of rent. I will let you know what I find out. I'm also worried about liability in case I accidentally run over the annoying little kid pushing all the buttons on the elevator. (JK) :)

I am a very big person (diabetes) and use a scooter for every cruise. I always use CareVacation and the cost is very reasonable. For a 10-11 day cruise, the price has always been $350, and if it weren't for a scooter, I couldn't have a cruise at all. Worth every penny to me.

Have u ever looked into getting a scooter or power chair thru insurance. My husband is 330, has diabetes, heart issues & bad knees. He got a power chair thru insurance several yrs ago. Without it he could not vacation. Might be cheaper in the long run! I looked into renting one for our next cruise in NYC to hsave on parking fee, as we take his truck since it has the lift for his chair, but the scooter cost is more than $30/day to park.

Archived