Should we do Ibiza or London with a baby?

Millenia98

We’re planning on cruising through Spain and Southern France beginning in Southampton. I figure since we’re already in UK, we can just do London post cruise 3-4 days. BUT we always wanted to do Ibiza (and we can find a cruise from Barcelona). Which one would you do? We love history and we also love the beach and partying as well. I’m 31 and my husband is 36. Our little girl will be 1.

We’re planning on cruising through Spain and Southern France beginning in Southampton. I figure since we’re already in UK, we can just do London post cruise 3-4 days. BUT we always wanted to do Ibiza (and we can find a cruise from Barcelona). Which one would you do? We love history and we also love the beach and partying as well. I’m 31 and my husband is 36. Our little girl will be 1.

You couldn' t find two more diverse places than Ibiza and London!

With such a young child I would take temperature into account when making your decision - if travelling in high season (mid June to mid September) I would definitely choose London as the temperature in the Balearics will be very high which can be problematic with very young children. Ibizas beaches are good, and your little girl would enjoy time on them, but as for you liking to party - the party venues in Ibiza don' t get going until after Midnight which isn't a very suitable time with a little one. Hate to be a killjoy but Ibizas night life is very much orientated to teens/early 20s so at 31 and 36 you may feel rather old in the clubs LOL.

Edited by campolady

I am just trying to picture a couple "partying" and going to the late night clubs on Ibiza with a 1 year old! Somehow the picture is very hazy (at best). When one has an infant it is often appropriate to alter one's expectations on activities. Suddenly it is all about the baby....not the parents :).

Hank

I am just trying to picture a couple "partying" and going to the late night clubs on Ibiza with a 1 year old! Somehow the picture is very hazy (at best). When one has an infant it is often appropriate to alter one's expectations on activities. Suddenly it is all about the baby....not the parents :).

Hank

If she changes our plans, so be it! Plus, we're not so much interested in going out at night. We'd want to hang out by the pool and watch the other daytime partyers.

So which place would you choose? Thanks!

We'd want to hang out by the pool and watch the other daytime partyers.

There will be no daytime 'partyers' - people liking to party are in bed during daylight hours the day sleeping off the night before!

Most Ibiza hotels have kids club entertainment around the pool during the day but no partying for adults.

Edited by campolady

There will be no daytime 'partyers' - people liking to party are in bed during daylight hours the day sleeping off the night before!

Most Ibiza hotels have kids club entertainment around the pool during the day but no partying for adults.

haven't you heard of day clubs? They're everywhere - Ibiza, Santorini, Mykonos, Vegas.

With such a young child I would take temperature into account when making your decision - if travelling in high season (mid June to mid September) I would definitely choose London as the temperature in the Balearics will be very high which can be problematic with very young children. Ibizas beaches are good, and your little girl would enjoy time on them, but as for you liking to party - the party venues in Ibiza don' t get going until after Midnight which isn't a very suitable time with a little one. Hate to be a killjoy but Ibizas night life is very much orientated to teens/early 20s so at 31 and 36 you may feel rather old in the clubs LOL.

LOL!! Had no idea they catered to teens! Oh ok, so that changes things. :) Maybe I need to remind myself of my age LOL!

hmm, still not sure whether to relax on the beach or trek through London. If it were you, would you pass up London to hang out in Ibiza? This will be a summer trip - July.

haven't you heard of day clubs? They're everywhere - Ibiza, Santorini, Mykonos, Vegas.

Of course I have! But, having lived in the Balearics (the island group that includes Ibiza) and now living near Marbella where there are many Day Cubs, I have never seen a Spanish one that allows a 1 year old child in!

Edited by campolady

Of course I have! But, having lived in the Balearics (the island group that includes Ibiza) and now living near Marbella where there are many Day Cubs, I have never seen a Spanish one that allows a 1 year old child in!

Lucky that you live there. So I guess you're advising against Ibiza? Sounds like if you're not a teen for partying, we shouldn't go there? Thought it could be a beautiful place regardless. I don't understand if people are advising against it and pro London. Kind of confused.

Lucky that you live there. So I guess you're advising against Ibiza? Sounds like if you're not a teen for partying, we shouldn't go there? Thought it could be a beautiful place regardless. I don't understand if people are advising against it and pro London. Kind of confused.

I am not trying to put you off the island - London would be my choice in high season simply as the heat in Ibiza can cause problems for very young children. Having said that London can be very tiring.

The island has some beautiful areas - but these are well away from the party zones. Ibiza town is the most historic area to stay in plus there are good beaches close by at Playa d'en Bossa.

The Ibicean party scene IS very young person orientated and mainly takes place around the San Antonio area. This is not an area I would visit with a very young child.

If you just want a family orientated holiday in the sun, where you can relax by a hotel pool or on a sandy beach, Ibiza may suit you very well - especially if you are travelling away from peak season or are used to high temperatures where you live; the islands holiday accommodation closes down in October and most places are dead from then until the following May. The other Balearic Islands of Majorca and Minorca (also known as Mallorca and Menorca) are also very family orientated (except for the Magalluf area of Majorca that caters for non-stop teenage partying) and have beautiful beaches and coves, and Mallorca has far more historical sights to interest you than Ibiza; if I wanted a Balearic Island stay for history I would choose Majorca or Minorca over Ibiza but that is just my personal opinion.

I am sorry if this only confuses you more. You really have to decide whether you want a historical adventure - in which case London is unbeatable but remember that good weather is far from guaranteed and hotel prices are expensive - or a sunshine holiday. As I said originally, I would let your holiday dates make the decision.

Edited by campolady

I have also answered your post on the British Isles thread. I agree with Campolady, it all depends what kind of holiday you want. Yes, there are day parties in Ibiza, but not in the type of hotel where families and young children/babies would stay. They are either held in hotels catering for partygoers or by the beach.

Ibiza is a beautiful island. I have worked and lived there and last visited in 2012, but don't think a small baby fits into the party scene. I wouldn't say you are too old at early 30s, but there will be a lot of teens and twenty year olds there too.

I disagree on that, being 31 and 36 years old in a club in Ibiza is totally normal. Just take into account that at 60€ the club entry, you have to have some kind of income (or rich parents) to pay for it. You will see people in their 20s in their 30s and more.

Also, Ibiza has opened a great deal of luxury hotels lately for party-going people. I don't know many teens that can afford 300€/night hotels. And they are full, so their market is 30 somethings to 40s

The thing with Ibiza is that beaches are not family-oriented on average. They have loud music, clubs, etc.