Verizon

buckeye12

I'm going on the sunshine in January and I have verizon for my cell phone carrier does anyone know if I can add an international plan to my line for the time I'm gone. Yes I know I'm goin on vacation but I wanna still be in contact with home whether it's thru text messages or phone calls.

TIA

I'm going on the sunshine in January and I have verizon for my cell phone carrier does anyone know if I can add an international plan to my line for the time I'm gone. Yes I know I'm goin on vacation but I wanna still be in contact with home whether it's thru text messages or phone calls.

TIA

I also have Verizon but I'm not sure about adding the international plan, just wanted to give you a heads up if your cruise goes to St. Thomas that Verizon is one of, if not the only, cell carrier that you cannot call the US without roaming charges. The group I cruised with were with other carriers so we were able to use their phones to call home and not running my cell bill up.

Edited by ShellLoves2cruise

I have enabled the Verizon global/international plan for our last couple of trips. I just enable prior to the cruise then cancel upon returning.

Here's a link to the Verizon website:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/plans-and-pricing.html

I'm self-employed so being having access to email is important. I set my email to download the smallest amount of message. And though I check multiple times a day, I have never exceeded the limit.

To be safe, I also purchase the smallest amount of data the ship sells. I use this for a backup, but rely on Verizon as my primary.

I have Verizon and called them for our last cruise to determine where I could and could not call from.

I could text from St. Thomas without incurring any additional charges and I could call from San Juan without incurring any additional charges.

There is a way to communicate via email for free through the Carnival website as well.

If you'll have wifi available I'd recommend looking at options like skype or google talk. The main thing you should worry about is data charges, roaming data rates are absolutely ridiculous. You can disable data while keeping voice/text/wifi on on most phones.

I keep my phone on airplane mode but with wifi enabled. There are plenty of hotspots in most cities.

I use Viber for texting which is free. There is no way to prevent someone from texting you through verizon but for those I know I'll be texting in advance we both setup Viber. Phone calls on Viber are cheap too.

For security, I avoid public wifi.