Questions for users of porbable oxygen concentrator

jrowland

My wife just invested in a portable oxygen concentrator and we had some questions regarding cruising and traveling in general with the concentrator.

Our questions are:

1. Do you rely soley on the concentrator when traveling or do you bring along backup oxygen bottles or rent from a supplier and have delivered when you reach your destination?

2. Have you ever had a portable oxygen concentrator quit working during your travels? If so, how did manage the situation?

3. Do any airlines provide electrical outlets that you can plug a concentrator in during flights.

We are trying to find out as much info as possible before our first trip (cruise) using a portable concentrator.

Thanks

The only question I can answer for you is regarding the airlines. You must provide enough sealed batteries for the entire trip. There are no 110VAC outlets on commercial flights. You may be able to have tank oxygen for the flight for a charge per each stop on your trip.

I'm an oxygen user, and I take a Respironics Easy Go POC with four batteries. I don't bring any back up oxygen, because it would have to be delivered to the ship, you can't take it on an airplane as far as I know.

On the cruise, I don't need the oxygen when I am sitting reading, playing trivia, at meals, etc., so my situation may be different. Two batteries for my POC last 7--8 hours. For me that is enough for the day. I have two batteries in reserve, charged, as well. When I get back to the cabin I plug in the POC and it charges while I sleep. Remember to turn the POC on first, so it doesn't go off while you sleep.

I cruise Princess, and they require that you fill out a form, and have it signed by your doctor in advance and faxed to them. The room steward will obtain a long heavy duty extension cord if you ask (one less thing to carry).

Each airline has different rules, but all of them will require a doctor's note, generally using the wording on the airline's note, but on the doctor's letterhead. Southwest will allow you to submit any such letter, even from another airline as long as it is less than a year old. You have to have enough batteries to last for your flight and layover time, plus 50% I think, to allow for delays.

You have to get to the airport early, because you can't use curbside or kiosk check in. You have to go to a human at check in so they can look at the POC and the letter (you keep the letter). You should tell the airline in advance, but if not they will note it in the record then.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Make sure that you reserve a window seat not on an exit row for yourself. FAA regulations require that you sit at a window seat if you have a POC. If you use one all the time or almost all the time make sure you sit near the back of the plane, so the restroom isn't far. I sat in the middle of the plane once and tried to go to the restroom without the POC since the restroom is so small. I forgot about the altitude, and was very unstable getting back to my seat. Lesson learned.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

M.

My wife just invested in a portable oxygen concentrator and we had some questions regarding cruising and traveling in general with the concentrator.

Our questions are:

1. Do you rely soley on the concentrator when traveling or do you bring along backup oxygen bottles or rent from a supplier and have delivered when you reach your destination?

2. Have you ever had a portable oxygen concentrator quit working during your travels? If so, how did manage the situation?

3. Do any airlines provide electrical outlets that you can plug a concentrator in during flights.

We are trying to find out as much info as possible before our first trip (cruise) using a portable concentrator.

Thanks

I'm an oxygen user, and I take a Respironics Easy Go POC with four batteries. DH has taken the Sequal Eclipse, Inogen One and the DeVilbiss Igo with 2-4 extra batteries. I don't bring any back up oxygen, because it would have to be delivered to the ship, you can't take it on an airplane as far as I know. I agree

On the cruise, I don't need the oxygen when I am sitting reading, playing trivia, at meals, etc., so my situation may be different. Same for DH; he uses O2 for sleeping and to recover from exertion. Two batteries for my POC last 7--8 hours. For me that is enough for the day. I have two batteries in reserve, charged, as well. When I get back to the cabin I plug in the POC and it charges while I sleep. Remember to turn the POC on first, so it doesn't go off while you sleep.

I cruise Princess, and they require that you fill out a form, and have it signed by your doctor in advance and faxed to them. The room steward will obtain a long heavy duty extension cord if you ask (one less thing to carry). We cruise NCL. We contact the Access Desk ahead of time and let them know that DH will bring a POC and will need wheelchair assistance on embarkation and disembarkation. They do not require a form.

Each airline has different rules, but all of them will require a doctor's note, generally using the wording on the airline's note, but on the doctor's letterhead. Southwest will allow you to submit any such letter, even from another airline as long as it is less than a year old. You have to have enough batteries to last for your flight and layover time, plus 50% I think, to allow for delays. I agree. Every airline has different procedures, but they will spell it out under a "Traveling With Disabilities" section on their website.

You have to get to the airport early, because you can't use curbside or kiosk check in. You have to go to a human at check in so they can look at the POC and the letter (you keep the letter). You should tell the airline in advance, but if not they will note it in the record then.

THIS IS IMPORTANT: Make sure that you reserve a window seat not on an exit row for yourself. FAA regulations require that you sit at a window seat if you have a POC. Interesting, we always book an aisle seat for DH to make it easier for him to get to the restroom. We keep the POC between us. At times the flight attendant requires him to put it under the seat in front of him, but generally it's easier for us to keep it between us. If you use one all the time or almost all the time make sure you sit near the back of the plane, so the restroom isn't far. Would depend on the layout of the plane. We were on a couple that had a restroom in front and we were seated in the front and it worked well. I sat in the middle of the plane once and tried to go to the restroom without the POC since the restroom is so small. I forgot about the altitude, and was very unstable getting back to my seat. Lesson learned.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to ask.

M.

This is a good thorough answer with my thoughts in red. Ask if you want to know more.

Archived