Marriage License- Florida!

srp1419

Hi!

I'm hoping some brides who have gotten married on embarkation day out of Florida can help me here.

I am a Canadian (fiancé from Costa Rica) we are living in Costa Rica but want to get married on embarktion day on Carnival departing from Miami. I am wondering how this works? How do we go about obtaining a marriage license in Miami. Does Carnival do this for us? Or do we have to arrive a couple days ahead and do this ourselves?

I have written the wedding department but it's been over week with no response.

Thanks!

We will be getting married on the ship while still in port in Miami. On embarktionday. I do know the license will come from Miami. I'm just wondering if we have to get it our selves or will Carnival do that for us. Also,since neither of us are Americans will this be an issue in obtaining the license ? Thank

Edited by srp1419

I'm starting my wedding-planning process for a wedding cruise next year. Have you booked your wedding cruise through Carnival yet? When you do they should ask if you prefer to obtain the license yourself or if you would like to use a service offered through Carnival to obtain the license.

When I booked they must have misunderstood me because I received an email and a call from a third party about obtaining my license. We opted out of having them get the license for us as it was an extra $400-500 and we live about 30 minutes away from the embarkation port, so it will be easy for us to obtain a license.

So, I think you can go either way. It's just your personal preference on whether you would like to pay the company to deal with it, or if you want to fly in a few days early to get your license. If you weren't planning on flying in early the cost of a hotel may offset the price of having them get your license.

What I WOULD do is contact the county-clerk in Miami yourself to ensure you have the proper identification to obtain the license since you are not US Citizens. I wouldn't leave that step up to someone else in case something gets misunderstood or miscommunicated.

After you book your wedding with Carnival, you will receive a lot of information about 2-3 weeks later via email. We booked in February 2015 for our March 2016 wedding.

The attached file was sent to us regarding marriage licenses. It is possible some things may have changed but for a general idea, take a look to see what you could expect.

01. Florida ML Procedures-TWE(011515)-DM.pdf