Paul Gauguin - Pearl shopping

rvblaw

In 2003, we did our research by going to pearl shops in Tahiti because we were on a b2b. Some of the sales people are very helpful in teaching you what criteria to look for. Robert Wan has a shop with a "pearl museum" near the dock in Papeete. It is a very good place to see what's out there (and very expensive). We did very well (according to our jeweler here in DC) by actually buying on the motu. However, when we went back to French Polynesia this year, the choice was much more limited on the motu. One place that gets good reviews (it's in Frommers) is Ron Hall's Island Fashion Black Pearls in Moorea. It is a short walk from the dock in Cook's Bay. We bought some loose pearls there in February and had them made into a bracelet here. One couple on our cruise that probably spent more than $20,000 for a graduated necklace of large black pearls bought directly from one of the pearl farms. Everyone will have a favorite place.

We just returned from the PG. We shopped several places on both Bora Bora and Moorea but ended up purchasing a ring from "Tahia Collins" which has a ship on the PG. We took their free taxi to the shop on Moorea. The selection on the island is of course much larger then what they carry on board. I had found a setting I liked on board I liked better than the one I originally selcted. Again I wanted a different color( and size) pearl then what was shown. They offered my a large variety of colors, sizes and prices. The one I finally selected was reset and delivered to the ship that evening. I had shopped around a little at home before I left to check out prices, quality etc. Tahia Collins was not cheap, but I feel the quality is outstanding. Also they have a service center in La Jolla, Ca which makes me feel better in case I ever have a problem. Yann on board was very helpful.

I bought on both my trips from Island Fashion. Ron Hall is a nice guy. I bought loose pearls and later set them in various designs. He even sold me some kashi pearls some of which I have not set.

He promised that he would pick out a graduated necklace for me - well matched- if I gave him notice before mynext trip. I am going in December but havent decided whether I want a complete necklace this time.

Thanks for the information on where to buy pearls. I am on the 11/4 PG sailing and some of my friends have asked me to bring back pearl jewelry as gifts for them. How much would I expect to pay for a pair of earrings or a pendant? Sounds like the black pearls are really expensive and may be out of my budget to give as gifts.

Eastern Caribbean 1995 RCI Sovereign of the Seas

Southern Caribbean 1997 RCI Rhapsody of the Seas

Alaska 1998 Celebrity Galaxy

Hawaii 2000 RCI Vision of the Seas

Northern Europe 2002 Celebrity Constellation

Panama Canal 2004 Celebrity Galaxy

Bahamas 2005 Disney Wonder

Southern Caribbean 2006 Carnival Legend

Tahiti Regent Paul Gauguin November 3, 2006

The earrings at Tahia Collins are are upwards of $100. However in Moorea at the dock there are several booths set up with jewelry. I saw black pearl studs for as little as $25 going up to about $80 depanding on size and color. The larger obviously are more expensive. The darker the color, the more expensive. There is also very pretty mother of pearl necklaces which are inexpensive. There may have been the same on the other islands but I didn't look anywhere but Moorea.

The shape, size, color, and luster of each pearl will determine its value. Also, whether the pearl is uniformly colored and whether it has blemishes will influence the price you pay. Those classified as "baroque" will cost less than those that are perfect, but you might actually like the baroque more and be quite happy with that kind of pearl. As a more-or-less natural product, each is unique and whether or not you want to pay for it depends on whether you happen to like it.

The pearls sold by the outdoor vendors are usually not those considered to be the very best pearls, but you may find one that suits you just fine. I bought some truly fine pearls at Tahia Collins but I also found some at the dock booths that I liked and purchased as well.

After you spend an afternoon or two looking at pearls you will get a feel for how much what you want is going to cost. You will also figure out whether perfection is important to you, and the colors that you like the best. If you buy loose pearls, you might find you can accept one with an imperfection because you can set the pearl in such a way as to hide the blemish.

The perfectly matched strand of champagne-colored pearls I really wanted was $35,000. As far as I know it's still at the store. :)

The inexpensive black pearls sold by the vendors and Mamas at the piers are not real pearls. The shells from the black pearls are ground up, mixed with epoxy and put into molds. However, they are very pretty and as long as you realize that they are not the real deal- go for it. The luster will wear off after a while which will not happen with the real pearls. I bought a pearl (real) at Hermman's in Bora Bora and found them excellent to deal with. I also bought some fake pearls for gifts and ended up keeping some for myself. When we go back in 2007, I plan on buying some more fake pearls in addition to real ones. I suggest that you check the prices for black pearls on-line to give you an idea of what you might have to pay for a particular size and quality pearl in Tahiti. I found the prices there were not any cheaper than I could find at home but the selection was much better. Just keep in mind that certain colors are more expensive and the quality- A, B, C etc- also affects the price.

Archived