There is still hope

tumeroll

Just returned home from a short five day visit to my favorite land based cruise type resort - The Balsam's in Dixville Notch, NH and I am most pleased to report that not only were there no jeans during dinner and only a single pair of notice during the rest of the meals, the level of dress was above and beyond that requested by the management - Jackets for the men and a nice dress or slack outfit for the ladies for dinner and in the public rooms after 6 p.m. From gentlemen as young as 5 years of age, jackets were to be seen on everyone with many wearing ties (including the younger folk) The ladies were equally well turned out with numerous long dresses. So refreshing to see, be part of and enjoy in an age where it seems that more people look for ways around the minimal attire codes on most cruise ships.

To be certain, the all inclusive room, three gourmet meals a day and all recreational activities rate is in the realm of the upper cruise lines running around $250 per person per day (taxes and gratuities included), yet this group of both family guest and conference attendee had no problem finding, wearing and relaxing in fine attire.

The Balsams is old school...nice, but old school and a tad overpriced IMO. And you're right, it's not cheap, if you go with a family, watch out, you could charter your own boat.

I prefer the Trapp Family Lodge, really elegant, great food, and casual attire (who wants to lug dress clothes AND ski equipment?). It's not cheap either.

Jane, it was real easy to find.

http://www.thebalsams.com/

I have many relatives in New Hampshire and Vermont, we were the only part of the family on my mothers side to move to California, back in 1959. New Hampshire is so beautiful, we were there 2 summers ago, someday I hope to take my DH back for some leaf peeping.

The Balsams is old school...nice, but old school and a tad overpriced IMO. And you're right, it's not cheap, if you go with a family, watch out, you could charter your own boat.

Oh wow, haven't thought of The Balsams in ages. Talk about "old school" , back when I used to go there, it was a mandatory migration stop for every Chip, Buffy, and Tyler that prepped at Miss Porters, Exeter, Andover, etc. It was the summer epicenter of Brooks Brothers navy blazers and khaki pants(back when they made quality stuff). In colder weather, a Harris Tweed sport coat (with the obligatory patches) was the uniform of the day. Extra points if you were a Yale or Harvard alumnus (Princeton worked too). Lots of extra points if you presented your DAR card :). At least the Vasser and Radcliffe girls were hot LOL. Seems it hasn't changed much...

Tumeroll, how was the food? I understand the property has been completely upgraded. How were the facilities?

Oh wow, haven't thought of The Balsams in ages. Talk about "old school" , back when I used to go there, it was a mandatory migration stop for every Chip, Buffy, and Tyler that prepped at Miss Porters, Exeter, Andover, etc. It was the summer epicenter of Brooks Brothers navy blazers and khaki pants(back when they made quality stuff). In colder weather, a Harris Tweed sport coat (with the obligatory patches) was the uniform of the day. Extra points if you were a Yale or Harvard alumnus (Princeton worked too). Lots of extra points if you presented your DAR card :). At least the Vasser and Radcliffe girls were hot LOL. Seems it hasn't changed much...

Tumeroll, how was the food? I understand the property has been completely upgraded. How were the facilities?

Your description pretty much still fits although they seem much more egalitarian these days.

Still one can reserve the same room year to year with no problem and you get the same table in the dining room for all meals so the wait staff remains constant throughout your stay. Very traditional, I love it.

The place is squeaky clean. totally up to date and wonderfully no TV in the guest rooms but turn down service with the chocolate on the pillow.The food is miles above any cruise line. Gourmet in every aspect from service to presentation to taste. Well worth the price which if you compare it to other land resorts is actually not expensive. The same stay at The Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham on Cape Cod would run at least $150 per day more and at The Greenbrier in West VA it would be over $250 per day additional so while pricy compared to Carnival or NCL it still comes in at what I think are bargain prices for the quality received.

Oh wow, I like that place, that is old school. Haven't been in ages.

Glad to hear you had a great time. I too would not drag formal clothes for skiing, enough to pack with the ski clothes and equipment.

That's a great place for this time of year

Basin Harbor Club in VT which is a summer resort only is very similar and very preppy as well, around the same price too.

The same stay at The Chatham Bars Inn in Chatham on Cape Cod would run at least $150 per day more and at The Greenbrier in West VA it would be over $250 per day additional so while pricy compared to Carnival or NCL it still comes in at what I think are bargain prices for the quality received.

Yep, did the Chatham Bars Inn thing a few years ago. I don't mind spending the money, but I do expect some value in return. The clientele leaned towards the outrageously pretentious "my boat is bigger then your boat" or "of course everyone has a second home on Nantucket". The food was quite good, but at those prices you are quickly reaching a point of diminishing returns.

Looks like we may try The Balsams this fall for a spur of the moment weekday getaway. Thanks for the feedback on the property.

Archived