Monkeys at Gumbalimba

shuttermom3

Has anyone does this excursion? My 10 year old found it in a Google search and is over the moon about getting to hold monkeys.

I would hate for him to be this excited for another month and then find it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Any reviews, opinions, advice would be so helpful to this first time cruiser. I've looked at the website and it seems nice but that's the purpose of a website, right?

Long lines are ok, it would be worth it, but I wasn't sure if it was seasonal or if we had to be there at a specific time of day. Thanks!

You get to Gumbalinda Park via a cruise ship excursion. Check your cruise ship line website for details. There shouldn't be long lines at the park, jus the others on the excursion with you and depending on how many total ships are on the island that day, (max is 3 for docking) maybe small groups from other ships.

You can also book a tour with either Victor Bodden or Rony (details on both on this board) and they will take you to other sites with monkeys. Victor has his own place and has monkeys that are somewhat visitor friendly.

Your best bet is to go with Victor Bodden for whatever other stuff you want to do and make sure a trip to "Victor's monkey business" (right next to ziplining) is included. Gumbalimba is probably great but it may not be worth the trip and the cost to just see the monkeys.

We were able to spend the day there on a non cruise ship day. We had the park to our self. Very fun lots of monkeys.

I don't know how rushed it is on Cruise ship days.

A few more pics in picasa link

2014-10-10%252011.02.31.jpg

2014-10-10%252011.02.15.jpg

https://picasaweb.google.com/103087306190433500089/ROATAN?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCOX6t9_im9-r4QE&feat=directlink

we went to gumbalimba as part of a ship excursion specifically because i wanted to see the monkeys and it was a blast, and it was reasonably crowded. I held 3 different monkeys, and the guides were not at all pushy about moving us along to other parts of the park. i would absolutely recommend the excursion, and would love to go back.