beaches in walking distance from ship

lumpkin8

My answer is very contingent on how you regard walking. I've walked to and from Brewer's, e.g., which is about the closest, but it's not for any but a distinct minority. You have to cross a range about 800 feet high. I had to huff and puff at intervals. For anyone with any kind of mobility issue it's a "no". A lot of people would regard it as torture.

Nice views from on high, though.

My answer is very contingent on how you regard walking. I've walked to and from Brewer's, e.g., which is about the closest, but it's not for any but a distinct minority. You have to cross a range about 800 feet high. I had to huff and puff at intervals. For anyone with any kind of mobility issue it's a "no". A lot of people would regard it as torture.

Nice views from on high, though.

I have to say that is a very bad idea to share with someone unfamiliar with the island. It's a good 20 min taxi over very steep terrain, I can only imagine how much time it took to walk there from Road Town! We've never seen anyone walking Joe's Hill Rd or any road over the mountain while staying on Tortola. No sidewalks, winding, steep roads and switchbacks, and sharing all of that with traffic - you'd have to be nuts! :eek: Or perhaps a professional walker/runner. But I'd hate to have someone plan that who hasn't been before...If someone was looking for a full day hike then yes, there are areas that are very popular with no worries about traffic...

Lumpkin the more sane version of getting to a beach on Tortola is taking a group safari taxi to Brewers Bay or Cane Garden Bay for $16pp round trip, or take an inexpensive island tour offered by drivers at the port and stop at a beach for lunch.

Here's a map showing the locations -

http://www.skyviews.com/bviold/tortola/map.html

Edited by blue_water