Getting luggage to the ship!

Olls

We have to fly from the West Coast to New York to board QV this January and the very idea that our luggage would be lost en route is already a concern! It has never happened to us but it could!

Do most people these days send their luggage with Cunard's service or use another (...Or take their chances with airline baggage on their flight)?

We have to fly from the West Coast to New York to board QV this January and the very idea that our luggage would be lost en route is already a concern! It has never happened to us but it could!

Do most people these days send their luggage with Cunard's service or use another (...Or take their chances with airline baggage on their flight)?

$110 per bag each way. They do not lose luggage. They pick it up a week before you depart and it gets back home a day or two after you do. The bags arrive in your room. On the way home you drop them off in a special White Star location.

We've used them each time and have been very pleased.

sorry... double-posting fkwgheruogejsdgaskga!!!!

$110 per bag each way. They do not lose luggage. They pick it up a week before you depart and it gets back home a day or two after you do. The bags arrive in your room. On the way home you drop them off in a special White Star location.

We've used them each time and have been very pleased.

Have you used white star for international service? I know it's very expensive, but we are traveling around England before our Dec cruise, and I'd like to avoid carrying around the tux and beaded dresses for a week and a half. I'm just so afraid the bag won't be there and I'll have to go to dinner in my jeans. :eek:

Kathy

Have you used white star for international service? I know it's very expensive, but we are traveling around England before our Dec cruise, and I'd like to avoid carrying around the tux and beaded dresses for a week and a half. I'm just so afraid the bag won't be there and I'll have to go to dinner in my jeans. :eek:

Kathy

...Cunard actually uses DHL, which is a large and reputable company.

You might try calling Cunard/White Star. I've spoken with "Ed" (I'm pretty sure his name is) there, who I think is "in charge" and is, in any case, helpful. He would be able to talk to you about international reliability and scheduling.

IF your stuff doesn't reach you, there is a tux/dress shop on the ship.

I would bet on your luggage reaching you in time.

...Cunard actually uses DHL, which is a large and reputable company..

Well, their reputation with me is not too sterling. We shipped two packages with them from key West to our home. We waited and waited when we got back (Shipped them the day we left Key West, which always takes a while. Finally we called them. Lots of arguments, lots of talking filing claims etc.

They delivered it to Clark La in our very small town. We live on Clark Rd. And their records VERY CLEARLY said Clark Rd, and VERY CLEARLY said they delivered it to Clark La. For a delivery company, one might think they would know the difference!

We finally made them try to go retrieve it from the other house. They left a note on OUR door, (in childish scrawled pencil) asking if WE had received a package for the other address by mistake. We dealt with total idiots, IMHO. We never got our two packages we never got back the minimum value of the package. and we will never ship anything through DHL again.

Karie,

who realizes there are horror stories from each shipper. A friend lost her laptop- her WORK- through FED-EX.

I can report that when we recently disembarked (Brooklyn) I happened to glance over and saw the White Star Service sign and a lady minding the bags. That would have been where Sea Flint was saying you drop your bag(s) off. Now, you had to haul them off the ship yourself, but the drop off was only a few steps or hauls away.

The lady was even smiling, so it seemed she didn't mind her job at all. I relate this because the smiling was most memorable. And I still had lots more bag hauling of my own to do.:)

I can report that when we recently disembarked (Brooklyn) I happened to glance over and saw the White Star Service sign and a lady minding the bags. That would have been where Sea Flint was saying you drop your bag(s) off. Now, you had to haul them off the ship yourself, but the drop off was only a few steps or hauls away.

The lady was even smiling, so it seemed she didn't mind her job at all. I relate this because the smiling was most memorable. And I still had lots more bag hauling of my own to do.:)

Actually, you didn't even have to haul them. You merely picked them up at Customs and walked them over maybe 20 yards.

Unless, of course, you self-disembark, then why would you bother to ship your luggage! <G>

Karie,

who still thinks it a bit pricey (but then I am driving to the port! <G>)

My bag with our formal clothes is CURRENTLY enroute to the Queen Mary for our 9-22 westbound TA. DHL picked up at the promised time. The driver was very pleasant. That was on Friday, on Monday morning I received a call from White Star Luggage Service wanting to check on how many bags I had shipped. They had told me to estimate high, so I had intially said two, but in reality only shipped one. The gentleman who called told me he was tracking my bag and just wanted to make sure it was only one. Must say I was impressed by this.

I was quoted the following prices from Pennsylvania to Southampton:

1-30 lbs. $250

31-50 lbs. $350

51-70 lbs. $450

It is expensive, but will save us lugging the formal clothes around Scotland for 10 days. When I return I'll post how it works for us. I must admit I felt like I was sending my baby off on a trip without me!:confused:

We are contemplating using this service so that we don't have to hassle with so much luggage since we are going to NYC by train. However, unlike some folks who are shipping their formal wear to avoid carrying it around on holiday after the cruise, we are shipping our casual wear.

If something happens to our casual wear and it doesn't arrive on time, we can always pick up casual clothing in Fort Lauderdale or another port, but we would be hard-put to replace expensive evening wear.

We are contemplating using this service so that we don't have to hassle with so much luggage since we are going to NYC by train. However, unlike some folks who are shipping their formal wear to avoid carrying it around on holiday after the cruise, we are shipping our casual wear.

If something happens to our casual wear and it doesn't arrive on time, we can always pick up casual clothing in Fort Lauderdale or another port, but we would be hard-put to replace expensive evening wear.

I know what you mean. My husband could rent a tux on the ship, but I've seen the prices of dresses in the shop on board. :eek:

I think the reason most people want to ship formal stuff (certainly my reason) is that we need the casual clothes for a pre-cruise trip, but won't need to get out the posh clothing until we get on board.

Many years ago, when QE2 was balancing cruises and TAs, Cunard would take your bags across the ocean for you. We did the Midnight Sun cruise and left two bags on board for a TA while we went to London for a few days and then flew home. Cunard took the bags off the ship in NYC and sent them to us via UPS. It took a while (and UPS beat the hell out of one suitcase), but we did get everything. And the price was right.

Kathy

That's exactly what we are doing, our casual

clothes would be much easier to replace if need be.

Betsy

Actually, you didn't even have to haul them. You merely picked them up at Customs and walked them over maybe 20 yards.

Unless, of course, you self-disembark, then why would you bother to ship your luggage! <G>

Karie,

Oooh, that's true. It wasn't hardly any distance at all--it's just the memory of dragging the suitcase along and the fact one arm seems longer than the other now has gotten cloudy from the experience--quite possibly that amnesia thing people used to say a new mother gets after having a baby, so she might be willing to have another. ;)

Karie,

...leave a ticking clock in the bags you want to go White Star. THAT moves them to the special security spot which is even nearer to the customs people and the White Star location.

:)

Actually, on the train to this summer's trip, the porter nervously asked us to open a bag he had been carrying which had spooked him. Turned out my son's battery-powered toothbrush was on and vibrating to beat the band. The porter nearly fell over from laughter and relief.

Oooh, that's true. It wasn't hardly any distance at all--it's just the memory of dragging the suitcase along and the fact one arm seems longer than the other now has gotten cloudy from the experience--quite possibly that amnesia thing people used to say a new mother gets after having a baby, so she might be willing to have another. ;)

...if you'll keep an eye on me while on (IF on...) that QE2 trip in March/April. She's worried I'll go for a walk around some port and end up having to walk back from Mexico.

...if you'll keep an eye on me while on (IF on...) that QE2 trip in March/April. She's worried I'll go for a walk around some port and end up having to walk back from Mexico.

...that yes, I'll keep an eye on you in Mexico. lol. :p We've got some walkie talkies if you think you'll find the country exceedingly enchanting and will need to be talked back to the ship.

Now, will White Star Service still ship your bag home if you're in Oaxaca and it's in NYC?

Wow! At those prices you could buy it a seat on the plane!

:eek:

AND its own luggage!

[quote name=SeaFlint;11610518

Actually' date=' on the train to this summer's trip, the porter nervously asked us to open a bag he had been carrying which had spooked him. Turned out my son's battery-powered toothbrush was on and vibrating to beat the band. The porter nearly fell over from laughter and relief.[/quote]

ROTFLMAO!!!

...that yes, I'll keep an eye on you in Mexico. lol. :p We've got some walkie talkies if you think you'll find the country exceedingly enchanting and will need to be talked back to the ship.

Now, will White Star Service still ship your bag home if you're in Oaxaca and it's in NYC?

More importantly, will they ship HIM back if he is left in Oaxaca! <LOL>

Karie,

such problems!

No worries!

So how about that nude cruise! <LOL>

The Acela is the most reliable (the regionals CAN be very late). You'll want first class seats which are nicer, give you a nice place to sit in Union Station and give you plenty of room for your bags. You can also book a regional and get a small room - "Viewliner" I think. This gives lots of privacy, plenty of room and also the preferred waiting area. The so-called "business class" on regionals is NOT first class, tho it does have bigger seats. I use them to Williamsburg and find there is usually plenty of room. But these do not qualify you for the nicer waiting room (which is a much better situation).

.. since I left clothes in Oaxaca last time I was there. :rolleyes: Oddly, that always seemed to happen in Mexico. Along with leaving $20's hidden in all the bar restrooms and lock-ups. $20 will get you out of anything south of the border. And a savvy traveller thinks beyond sticking the odd $20 in his shoe. :D

Thanks for the train advice. Last time we went to New York, we stayed with friends in NJ and took the regional train up. The conductor advised us to have our bags close to the door so that when the train stopped we could hop out right away. The train seems to only pause at the regional stations. He gave us a hand with them so that we could get off okay. What an adventure! The Acela sounds ideal -- lots of space and we don't have to throw our baggage off in haste to get off.

I am not a big fan of DHL as I have had problems with having packages delivered to my address. Seemsthey really have trouble with rural places. That being said, I ship extra luggage via UPS to my hotel. I first put the luggage in a regualr cardboard box so UPS can't trash the bag. Then once it is on the way, I can track it and I call the hotel first to get on ok to ship and then after UPS indicates it has been delivered, I call the hotel to verify and tell them exactly when I will be arriving and to hold the bag(s) for me. Considerably cheaper than White Star Service and you have better control as you have 100% of your bags on embarkation and do not have to wonder if DHL gets everything to the ship. Particularly on a Sunday sailing. Getting people to work warehouses and delivery trucks on weekends is always a problem and getting people that really care on weekends is even harder.

Archived