Disabled child in kid's club

navychica

I asked this on the RCCL board but didn't get much of a response. My family is thinking about taking a crusie next spring, but my little sister, who's 7, has CP. Mentally she's fine, but she uses crutches, a walker, or a wheelchair to get around. We're looking at the Allure of the Seas and were curious if anyone has any experience with a disabled child on board there, or anyone not a child who has mobility issues getting around the ship. She only uses the wheelchair in school and on a trip to Disney world; in stores and malls, she manages with her crutches. Thanks in advance!

I strongly recommend using the wheelchair full time while on the ship. Allure is absolutely gigantic and using crutches will exhaust her. Also, if the ship gets a bit bouncy in rougher seas, a wheelchair is much safer than her walking with crutches.

The staff in the kid's club have experience with challenged kids all the time. She'll be just fine.

Agree with Kitty that you should plan to bring the wheelchair. I was on the Allure last November and the size is so overwhelming. It's unlike any other ship you've ever been on. It's sooooooo gigantic!!!!! Brought both my walker and scooter. The scooter was used 99%. Could not have done it using just my walker.

Thanks for the help! We'll definitely bring the wheelchair and play it by ear. She made it through the first day at Disney on the crutches because she was so excited, but wouldn't budge from the wheelchair the next few days because she was too exhausted. We've been on several cruises, but not since we adopted her last year. I'm sure she'll love it!

Archived