Dublin Hotels???

karinad

We were going to stay at the Westin in Dublin with partial points from SPG, but we'd still have to pay $121. per night in cash in order to stretch our points for a 2 night stay. For anyone that have stayed in Dublin, is it worth it to do this for that hotel with location, etc., or would you suggest a better location and maybe a more unique place for that much cash a night?

We've never been there before and are hoping to spend 2 or 3 nights there.

Much thanks ahead of time!

For that price you won't find an hotel of anywhere near comparable quality in Dublin city centre. Three hotels that I would choose above the Westin are the Shelbourne, Merrion, and Westbury. You will find all three via Google. Do a dummy booking for the date of your visit and see how much more expensive they are.

By the way, it appears that the road works outside the Westin, due to the construction of a tram line, are completed.

Dermot

For that price you won't find an hotel of anywhere near comparable quality in Dublin city centre. Three hotels that I would choose above the Westin are the Shelbourne, Merrion, and Westbury. You will find all three via Google. Do a dummy booking for the date of your visit and see how much more expensive they are.

By the way, it appears that the road works outside the Westin, due to the construction of a tram line, are completed.

Dermot

Thanks so much for the reply! I know that sometimes the hotels like the Westin or Hilton, for example, are usually a good choice as far as amenities, etc., but sometimes they might not be in the more popular location. It's not that we're looking for upscale, but, we do have the points. We stayed in a B & B in Dover before a cruise and we loved the experience and it was a great price for the gorgeous room and great breakfast and company of the owners.

John and Sally McKenna are Ireland's best-known food writers. For many years they have been publishing a series of guides, one of which is Top 100 Places to Stay in Ireland. I would trust their recommendations unreservedly. To read their comments on the various hotels and guest house they recommend, you need to purchase the guide. However, from a newspaper article, I have copied a list of the places they recommend in County Dublin in the 2016 guide:

Aberdeen Lodge, Ballsbridge

Ariel House, Lansdowne Road

Brooks Hotel, Drury Street

The Conrad, Earlsfort Terrace

Kelly’s Hotel, South Great George’s Street

Number 31, Lower Leeson Street

Pembroke Town House, Ballsbridge

The White Cottages, Skerries

Ignore The White Cottages as Skerries is too far outside the city to be practicable on a short visit. The Aberdeen Lodge, Ariel House, Number 31, and Pembroke Town House are guest houses; the other three are hotels. As for the locations, Ballsbridge, Lansdowne Road and Lower Leeson Street are in an up-market, inner suburb of the city. It would be a ten minute bus journey to the city centre, although Lower Leeson Street is nearer and you could probably walk from there.

The three hotels, Brooks, The Conrad, and Kelly's, are all in the city centre in good locations. As I live in Dublin, I have no experience of staying in any of the establishments. I have had good reports from my sister of the restaurant in Brooks Hotel.

You have many happy hours of Googling ahead of you. If you require further information on any of the places, let me know and I will do my best to help.

John and Sally McKenna are Ireland's best-known food writers. For many years they have been publishing a series of guides, one of which is Top 100 Places to Stay in Ireland. I would trust their recommendations unreservedly. To read their comments on the various hotels and guest house they recommend, you need to purchase the guide. However, from a newspaper article, I have copied a list of the places they recommend in County Dublin in the 2016 guide:

Aberdeen Lodge, Ballsbridge

Ariel House, Lansdowne Road

Brooks Hotel, Drury Street

The Conrad, Earlsfort Terrace

Kelly’s Hotel, South Great George’s Street

Number 31, Lower Leeson Street

Pembroke Town House, Ballsbridge

The White Cottages, Skerries

Ignore The White Cottages as Skerries is too far outside the city to be practicable on a short visit. The Aberdeen Lodge, Ariel House, Number 31, and Pembroke Town House are guest houses; the other three are hotels. As for the locations, Ballsbridge, Lansdowne Road and Lower Leeson Street are in an up-market, inner suburb of the city. It would be a ten minute bus journey to the city centre, although Lower Leeson Street is nearer and you could probably walk from there.

The three hotels, Brooks, The Conrad, and Kelly's, are all in the city centre in good locations. As I live in Dublin, I have no experience of staying in any of the establishments. I have had good reports from my sister of the restaurant in Brooks Hotel.

You have many happy hours of Googling ahead of you. If you require further information on any of the places, let me know and I will do my best to help.

Thank you so much! I will have some fun researching the list you provided!

We were going to stay at the Westin in Dublin with partial points from SPG, but we'd still have to pay $121. per night in cash in order to stretch our points for a 2 night stay. For anyone that have stayed in Dublin, is it worth it to do this for that hotel with location, etc., or would you suggest a better location and maybe a more unique place for that much cash a night?

We've never been there before and are hoping to spend 2 or 3 nights there.

Much thanks ahead of time!

That's a great price and so central you won't need a taxi anywhere your just off grafton street near the shelbourne which does a lovely afternoon tea and walking distance to trinity college and temple bar also the gem to me Stephens green is lovely an oasis of clam in the city centre

That's a great price and so central you won't need a taxi anywhere your just off grafton street near the shelbourne which does a lovely afternoon tea and walking distance to trinity college and temple bar also the gem to me Stephens green is lovely an oasis of clam in the city centre

Thank you! Great to know that it's a good location especially for the evening when we would want to hang around our hotel area after a day of touring.

• 2 weeks later...
Good location and beauty hotel. Excellent cocktails! There are other hotels in old Georgian houses but I'd keep your reservation. You won't get a bandb experience in Dublin city

Glad to hear this! Sounds like you stayed here.

• 3 weeks later...