Taxi tours in Belize

valancy1

There are a couple of threads here on getting off the ship and hiring a tour vendor outside the tender pier area. Also some threads on the environment directly outside the tender pier area and nearby Belize City.

You may wish to read those.

I know this is anecdotal and I've shared this here before but about 10 years ago my father, sister and I did a taxi tour and the man tried to rob us by reaching or his gun in his glove box and driving us down a really sketchy dirt road he called the new airport. Luckily we didn't let it happen and made him bring us back to the ship once he realized he wasn't getting the gun. After that no more taxi tours in any port. We will get a taxi to go where we want to go but when its just a tour they know you have no idea really about the area. Having said that I would book a private excursion to go somewhere but never just the tour.

I know this is anecdotal and I've shared this here before but about 10 years ago my father, sister and I did a taxi tour and the man tried to rob us by reaching or his gun in his glove box and driving us down a really sketchy dirt road he called the new airport. Luckily we didn't let it happen and made him bring us back to the ship once he realized he wasn't getting the gun. After that no more taxi tours in any port. We will get a taxi to go where we want to go but when its just a tour they know you have no idea really about the area. Having said that I would book a private excursion to go somewhere but never just the tour.

Thanks for sharing. You experience is cautionary for anyone in any port.

In Belize City now the taxis are marked. I think there are 2-3 officially registered taxi companies. Prices may be negotiable. But passengers should have a destination in mind or at least on a tour a list of certain places they wish to see. Takes a little research. And there are areas in Belize City where most cruisers would NOT want to be. This is especially true driving out to the Western Highway. So questions do need to be asked of drivers before getting into a taxi. There's not a whole heck of a lot of interest to tourists inside Belize City limits. So read up and pick out what may be of interest to you. And be safe.:)