PG kayak question and Huahine

I see that kayaks are available and am wondering if you can take them out and about while tendered at the islands and if they're allowed to go far enough from the ship to hit the lagoons or a beach.

The 10 day cruise I'm on visits the island of Huahine the first day. Anything I should try to do or see excusion or otherwise? I thought the blue-eyed eeels sounded interesting but don't know if i want to take a 3.5 hour safari to see them!

Last, anyone do the waterskiing? What did you think of the process and the equipment and the patience level of the staff? :rolleyes:

As I mentioned in my long review of our 10-day PG cruise in February (posted on another Board), in Huahine, we did the Lagoon cruise and snorkeling excursion in the afternoon and enjoyed it very much. We went to a very good place for snorkeling--no currents, nice coral, and lots of fish. The tour guide, Dolores, was also a lot of fun. Note, she was selling pareos that she had hand painted and they were very nice and very different than most that you will see (the shops carry many that are imported from the Far East). Dolores' weren't cheap--about $50--but many passengers were sorry they didn't have more cash with them. We went to the town of Faré in the morning, but there really isn't much there.

-------------

Eugene

Yes, Eugene. I read it and just re-read it in fact. It's a VERY informative review. Thanks! I'm still hoping to get feedback on possible other things to do while there. More people do the 7 days than the 10 days and there's just less out there on the 10-dayer ports. April 22 is speeding closer and the time to reserve excursions.

Sue - we never used the watersports platform on the PG (other than to borrow mesh bags for our snorkel equipment). But I seem to remember from lots of previous reading on the message boards that you have a time limit of 1 hour for the kayaks and this really does not give adequate time for taking them to a snorkeling location.

We did the 10-day itinerary last year (embarkation day: June 10) and a group of passengers did an independent tour with Marc on Huahine that sounded fabulous. It included snorkeling and a picnic on a motu. "Texed" made all the original plans and others on this board got the contact info from him and booked it also. I think it was limited to about 12 persons.

Thanks, KathyZ! Yeah, that would make a difference having a time limit. See, that's why these boards are such a valuable resource. Better to find out now than in June.

I'm usually one to do all my excusions with the ship, but the indie tour sounds worth looking into. Does this guy have a contact/website or do you suggest I search the archives here?

Also someone once mentioned a really cool board just for Tahitian traveling, cruising or otherwise. I visited once and now have lost the address. If anyone can pass that along, I'd appreciate it!

Sue - I just pulled up the "PG June 10, 2005 roll call" thread. It should be near the top of page one now just like this thread. That's the cruise that so many of us went on last year doing the same 10-day itinerary you have booked this June. I think somewhere in there you will find how to contact the guy for the tour on Huahine. Look for the private message I sent you to answer your other question.

Editing to say I started reading through the thread from last year and found this:

So far, all we have booked is a full day picnic and snorkeling with a circle the island tour on Huahine with Marc at huahinenautique@mail.pf. There are 4 of us, and he said he has room for up to 12 if anyone is interested.

Do what suits your fancy at the moment! Just don't fall off the ship! (Only because I have been known to bounce from a couple of walls in rough seas) We want to hear from you when you return to "give back"!

I've never taken a kayak out from the sports platform, but I remember the rules. You can't take them away from the ship when tendered, just around the area of the platform. Your best bet for kayaking to interesting spots is from motu Mahana, or the Bora Bora motu.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from a 7 day cruise and we used the kayaks a couple of times.

We were not told to stay near the boat, but to stay behind the boat. They asked us to be back in a half hour the first day (Raitea) so it did limit range. Second time, in Moorea, I don't remember a time limit mentioned.

Have a great time!

Archived