Lyon hotel and transportation

PinkMEB

We are a group of 8 going on the Viking Provence cruise in April. We disembark in Chalon and need to get to Lyon plus a hotel for the night. Seems we could get less expensive transportation than Viking's $125 pp since we didn't book air with them. Someone mentioned Prestige Taxi but they won't respond to emails. Suggestions for hotel and transportation welcome.

Have you looked into taking the train from Chalon to Lyon? That's what we're planning to do in the opposite direction in May.

It's only about an hour's ride and not very expensive - $30 - $60.

I stayed at La Residence in Lyon a few years ago and it was fine for one night. Rooms were not very large, and the elevator was tiny, but very clean, and cheap.

Here's a review I wrote:

I stayed at La Residence for one night in August pre-river cruise and had no problems. I was on the fourth floor and yes, the elevator was a little slow, but certainly not a big deal. My single room was quite small (think cruise ship) but the room and bath were very clean and I had a quiet, restful night. The hotel is nicely located. There is an ATM directly across the street and loads of places to get a croissant and coffee in the morning. Take a left out the front door, go maybe two blocks to catch the on-off bus tour (17 euros) in the Place Bellecour. The front desk staff couldn't have been nicer -- left my luggage with them as I toured the city, wrote directions in English for me to several places, called a taxi, and gave lots of suggestions for dining. This hotel is not fancy, but for the price, location and hospitable staff, I would recommend it.

We are a group of 8 going on the Viking Provence cruise in April. We disembark in Chalon and need to get to Lyon plus a hotel for the night. Seems we could get less expensive transportation than Viking's $125 pp since we didn't book air with them. Someone mentioned Prestige Taxi but they won't respond to emails. Suggestions for hotel and transportation welcome.

Second the suggestion of the train. Short taxi ride from the dock and easy and scenic trip.

B. Cole

Archived