Taking Along A Sitter for Special Needs Kids

LSEA

Just a quick question about cruising with kids and taking a sitter along. We have an 18 year old sitter who would love to go on a cruise with us, and we would be thrilled to take her along for some extra support. We haven't discussed anything specific with her or her parents and want to get some basic info before we proceed. Since she is 18, can we book her into a room with one of our kids? Our plan would be to put her in a room across / next door to us with our 12 year old daughter and then we would keep our 9 year old son in our room with us. Is this Ok or would we need to book one of us with our daughter and the sitter with the other parent and child and then have the room cards switched around at guest services? We are looking at Carnival and RCI.

Just a quick question about cruising with kids and taking a sitter along. We have an 18 year old sitter who would love to go on a cruise with us, and we would be thrilled to take her along for some extra support. We haven't discussed anything specific with her or her parents and want to get some basic info before we proceed. Since she is 18, can we book her into a room with one of our kids?Our plan would be to put her in a room across / next door to us with our 12 year old daughter and then we would keep our 9 year old son in our room with us. Is this Ok or would we need to book one of us with our daughter and the sitter with the other parent and child and then have the room cards switched around at guest services? We are looking at Carnival and RCI.

You'll have to go with "Plan B" as one person in the cabin must be 21" years old.

An 18 year old 'sitter' is neither able to do the teen programs nor is able to participate in many of the adult activities on board including purchasing and drinking alcohol.

You would also need to establish an agreement in writing outlining what hours of work and duties would be required.

Would you pay for land tours etc.

Is 'sitter' an inappropriate way to refer to someone who is 18? She is not our nanny. Caregiver?

Anyway, she has cruised with her family so she knows what she can and can't do on the ship. We were thinking we would test the waters with a 3 or 4 day from a port within driving distance.

Certainly we would discuss in advance what we would expect, the fact that we would cover cruise, insurance, tips..., pre and post cruise transportation and meals, as well as purchases for excursions, soda and extra cost food items.

We would request that she doesn't do excursions without us. We would also pay her an agreed upon fee for helping us out. She has worked with our kids for 2 years so she knows what they require.

Anything I am forgetting? Bad idea? Maybe it is more complication than we need? If anyone can share their experience it would be appreciated.

I took many cruises as caregiver for my very elderly mother-in-law and her sister. My husband and I devoted ourselves to their well being and happiness. Looking back I am glad that we did as it extended their ability to travel by several years.

It was nearly a full time job but we managed by taking turns so one or the other of us could get some quiet time or shopping on shore time.

We learned by doing. Sounds like your young person is already up to speed on what needs to be done.

The various ships we traveled on were generally helpful and referred to us as being 'with' our elders. That was much more diplomatic than calling us caregivers.

LSEA,

I know you asked about bringing a sitter for your special needs children, but I think you might get some good generic advice if you also post your question about bringing a sitter on the family cruise board. There are a lot of posters who have brought caregivers for their children on cruises and may have some helpful advice to share.

Family Cruising Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

LSEA,

I know you asked about bringing a sitter for your special needs children, but I think you might get some good generic advice if you also post your question about bringing a sitter on the family cruise board. There are a lot of posters who have brought caregivers for their children on cruises and may have some helpful advice to share.

Family Cruising Board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

You're right Kyriecat, I will go over there and do some searching. Thanks.

Archived