New England/Canada in Oct

krazy4kruisin

Thinking about a cruise Oct 22nd-27th. Saint John & Halifax are the ports of call. What is the weather like this time of the year and have the leaves on the trees

changed colors or fallen off? We have never cruised to the New England area before and are looking forward to something different. Thanks

You are probably too late for good 'leaf peeping' as the foliage tends to peak in early October in both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Weather will almost certainly be wet - Oct is pretty much the wettest month in both ports. That said, anyone giving a definitive answer to either of your Qs is lying through their teeth!

Several factors in when leaves change colour and how long they stay changed before falling. Some are more predictable than others (angle of sun) so there are general patterns to where tends to turn first until last - but the 'tends to' part is the crucial one.

Book the cruise if you want to see the ports/enjoy the ship/whatever else cruising does for you, but not specifically for the foliage. If you see some - bonus.

As to weather - make sure you layer up, so you can handle anything from snow/freezing rain and below-freezing temps to sunshine and 80F. Odds are the weather will always be between these extremes in Oct (probably much closer to the norms of low 40s to mid 60s). Statistical average info for those two ports here and here.

You are probably too late for good 'leaf peeping' as the foliage tends to peak in early October in both Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Weather will almost certainly be wet - Oct is pretty much the wettest month in both ports. That said, anyone giving a definitive answer to either of your Qs is lying through their teeth!

Several factors in when leaves change colour and how long they stay changed before falling. Some are more predictable than others (angle of sun) so there are general patterns to where tends to turn first until last - but the 'tends to' part is the crucial one.

Book the cruise if you want to see the ports/enjoy the ship/whatever else cruising does for you, but not specifically for the foliage. If you see some - bonus.

As to weather - make sure you layer up, so you can handle anything from snow/freezing rain and below-freezing temps to sunshine and 80F. Odds are the weather will always be between these extremes in Oct (probably much closer to the norms of low 40s to mid 60s). Statistical average info for those two ports here and here.

Thank you for the response. That was the response that I was expecting. I am from the midwest and we can have the same in the month of Oct. Looking for something different than the caribbean. It will be DH 60th bday. So I will keep searching. Not sure if we are willing to risk that cold weather...Thanks again

Thinking about a cruise Oct 22nd-27th. Saint John & Halifax are the ports of call. What is the weather like this time of the year and have the leaves on the trees

changed colors or fallen off? We have never cruised to the New England area before and are looking forward to something different. Thanks

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO krazy4kruisin: Going to Canada is a good idea especially since you haven't been there before. This year we are going back to Canada too and it will be our ninth time. You are going somewhat late for fall foliage. Most of the trees should be bare at that time of year. If you want good fall foliage go earlier in the month. However, you may have a special reason for going at that time of year. Birthday or anniversary. It maybe cold at late October. One year we went at the time we usually go, earlier in October, it was unusually cold. Other times it was pretty good. There are lots of things to do in both ports. Have a good time.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO krazy4kruisin: Going to Canada is a good idea especially since you haven't been there before. This year we are going back to Canada too and it will be our ninth time. You are going somewhat late for fall foliage. Most of the trees should be bare at that time of year. If you want good fall foliage go earlier in the month. However, you may have a special reason for going at that time of year. Birthday or anniversary. It maybe cold at late October. One year we went at the time we usually go, earlier in October, it was unusually cold. Other times it was pretty good. There are lots of things to do in both ports. Have a good time.

This year will be my first, I am going the week before the original poster. Any advice idea on Saint John/New Brunswick or Halifax?

I have a few notes but having never been, I'm in data gathering mode...

• Wed, 10/19 (5a-4p) - Saint John/New Brunswick: Arrive 5:00am Depart 4:00pm
  • Saint John City Market
  • Old City Market - Canada's oldest working farmers market
  • Carleton Martello Tower - American Tourists storming the fort for irony :)
  • Reversing Falls

• Thr, 10/20 (11a-8p) - Halifax: Arrive 11:00am Depart 8:00pm
  • BOOKED: YHZ-100 allows 1 hour at Peggy's Cove - 11:30-2:30
  • "The Sou’Wester at Peggy’s Cove" - Gingerbread Cake, gift shop, lighthouse, photo ops
  • deGarthe Monument
  • "Sugah! Confectionery & Ice Cream Emporium"
  • St Paul's Cathedral - oldest existing Protestant place of worship

This year will be my first, I am going the week before the original poster. Any advice idea on Saint John/New Brunswick or Halifax?

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO 2BeOnaBoat: At St. John if you go see the reversing waters go in the morning. The waters don't reverse as well in the afternoon. Go on a tour of St. John and you will also go to the reversing waters and the old market. You could also go to St.Andrew. It is a place built by loyalists after the American Revolution. It is an all day trip though.

In Halifax: Everyone is going to Peggy's Cove these days. It gets crowded there and long lines for everything. There is a Harbor Walk at Halifax. Near where the ship is there is a Museum of Immigration. If you like lobster roll there is a place at the farmers market where you can get one at a very reasonable cost. Museum that has a permanent Titanic exhibit. Stores, eateries, and Cows Ice Cream on the Harbor Walk. Also along Upper Water Street and Water Street. There is a botanical garden, but, it is a distance from the ship. I was there. It is nice.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy your vacation.

HHHHHEEEEELLLLLLLLLLOOOOO 2BeOnaBoat: At St. John if you go see the reversing waters go in the morning. The waters don't reverse as well in the afternoon. Go on a tour of St. John and you will also go to the reversing waters and the old market. You could also go to St.Andrew. It is a place built by loyalists after the American Revolution. It is an all day trip though.

In Halifax: Everyone is going to Peggy's Cove these days. It gets crowded there and long lines for everything. There is a Harbor Walk at Halifax. Near where the ship is there is a Museum of Immigration. If you like lobster roll there is a place at the farmers market where you can get one at a very reasonable cost. Museum that has a permanent Titanic exhibit. Stores, eateries, and Cows Ice Cream on the Harbor Walk. Also along Upper Water Street and Water Street. There is a botanical garden, but, it is a distance from the ship. I was there. It is nice.

Most of all, have fun and enjoy your vacation.

Thanks, I will enjoy it. I'll add the Harbor Walk to my googling habbits.