Whittier car rental

JWB127

I received a quote from Avis of $398 for 4 days one way from Whittier to airport. If I return the car back to Whitter, I can use my corporate discount and the price drops to $139. We'd like to get the car as soon as the ship docks on July 17th and head for Denali for a few nights and then back to Anchorage for the flight home. Will it be out of the way to return the car back in Whitter and will the savings be worth it when you factor in that we'll still need to get back to Anchorage? Also, does anyone think it's too much in one day to drive from Whittier to Denali? Any suggestions on transportation or other places to visit would be greatly appreciated.

The big problem- how do you plan to get to the airport, if you return to Whittier??? IF you have a late flight you could take the Alaska RR, leaves around 6pm, would significantly cut into your time however, which you really don't have.

Whittier- Denali Park- allow 7 hours with stops. IF you pick up your car when they open, it is a full day, but very doable.

There are many stops to consider, probably most important is the grocery, by Wasilla. :) (to stock up for Denali Park :) )

Eagle River Nature Center, Eklutna Spirt House tour, Hatcher Pass, Independence Mine, Talkeetna etc etc etc

If there are only 2 of you, you can travel back for about $110 from Whittier to the airport with a limo or Leopard tour or Magic bus. If there are more than 2, why bother? Even with only 2 people, it would be easier to bring your luggage to the airport in the car. You could really complicate this by dropping everybody off in Anchorage, drive one person, find a ride for maybe $50-60. I would just pay the money for the convienience.

I received a quote from Avis of $398 for 4 days one way from Whittier to airport. If I return the car back to Whitter, I can use my corporate discount and the price drops to $139.
Can't you use your corporate discount for the one way rental?

While you would save some money by returning the car to Whittier it would be more of a hassle and may cost you more in the long run. Have you checked into getting transport from Whittier to the airport - pick up the car there - do your trip and return to the airport? That way you are picking up and dropping off in the same location.

We had thought of renting a car in Anchorage for a few days - turning it in and then taking the train to Whittier (southbound cruise) - but with 4 of us it would actually have cost more by the time we paid for the transfers to Whittier. We decided we would keep the car and now have decided to make a sidetrip.

Others on this board have posted discount codes that turned out to be better then some corporate discounts. Search the threads on this board for rental car discounts and see if that code gets you a better rate.

This was a good suggestion- Have you checked into getting transport from Whittier to the airport - pick up the car there - do your trip and return to the airport? You will know what the cost is beforehand, you will not be running around at the last minute. If you enjoy running around, then get one person to the airport, drive back for the rest. (It sounded crazy when I typed it, too.) The magic bus or a limo seem like the least expensive options.

The other reason I think it would be better to get the car in Anchorage is - you will spend more time on the road going back and forth to Whittier then really necessary.

If you don't want to wait on the train to take you Anchorage you can do one of the other transport services. Some even offer side tours - so you can take advantage of the trip from Whittier to Anchorage.

Archived